Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332964 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers  (Read 305090 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

You can get multiple girlfriends.  I had Chariot and Fortune both, because mid-way I thought Fortune was a million times more adorable.

And bad ending is really, really bad.  There's no closure and it's just depressing and ugly all around.

Yeah, I was aware you could, but for some reason, even though these are video game characters.... my conscience still gets to me... XD But yeah, Fortune just has this air of cuteness that I just can't ignore... >.>

And I just saw the bad ending. I'm really a sucker for tragic or sad stuff in general.
Code:
Like the talk with Nanako at 10/31. The stuff she was saying was sorta like foreshadowing that something
was gonna happen to her, so it really tugged at my heart. >.>

I guess it usually depends on how it's done, but there are times when I like a bad ending more than the good. I think a more recent example I can think of off the top of my head was ToS2's bad ending.

But anyway, after seeing P4's bad ending, I figure I should just load up my previous save and continue through the regular path. I mean I'm almost done anyway. :P

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »

Just hit 75 hours in ToV.

I believe I'm on the last dungeon...but there are a few areas that are still unavailable...maybe for a new game plus or post game?

Keep opening up new things and there are scores of monsters I have yet to find.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

Oh, I certainly agree that a bad ending can be better than a good ending, if it's handled right.  But things still have to be resolved, like in Silent Hill 2's various bad endings.

Code:
James kills himself in several of the endings, but the story is still resolved and his suicide fits with the theme of the game, IE: punishment for your sins.  In fact, the bad ending may just be the best and most appropriate, since James is a total loser anyway and it just feels more in-character for him to commit suicide than to "live happily ever after".

Nothing is resolved in P4's bad ending, so it makes the experience feel very incomplete, IMO.

Although I will say I think the story is better if you see the normal ending and forget about the "True" one. 
Code:
The True one makes it feel like they were just making up an excuse to make you fight a real deity, rather than anything that was really important to the story.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:11 PM »

Playing some FM3. It's great to have this game again after like..10 years. Just as awesome as I remember. It looks horribly dated though.lol
Still, it's pretty sweet.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »

More Twilight Princess. I think I'm pretty close to the end.

Code:
Today I played through the Temple of Time and City in the Sky, the former being the worst dungeon of the game, thus far. The City in the Sky was completely rad because of the dual claw shots. It's a definite shame that I got these so late in the game, because I would have liked to see more puzzles involving them. Still, freakin' awesome.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:39 AM »

Update time! I went and made like a Zerg through Eternal Poison earlier today and got Olifen's bad end.

Code:
If you can even call that an ending. Seriously, all I got was a 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS' at the end of the third stratum with the response being 'Then we'll find a way! At any cost!' followed immediately by credits.

Fortunately, I hadn't saved since the start of the second stratum so I soft reset after the game told me to play the other characters, and I've since picked up where I left off and got Thage's group up to the second boss fight. After I'm finished with that I'm going to start up Olifen's group on the second strata and continue to work my way up to his good end. (And this time I mean it!)

I've also picked Wario's Land: SML3 back up and I have worked my way up to the second area of Syrup Castle. I should be finished with it before my next post on this thread.

And I have nothing new to report on Summon Night: TA.

More Twilight Princess. I think I'm pretty close to the end.

Code:
Today I played through the Temple of Time and City in the Sky, the former being the worst dungeon of the game, thus far. The City in the Sky was completely rad because of the dual claw shots. It's a definite shame that I got these so late in the game, because I would have liked to see more puzzles involving them. Still, freakin' awesome.

The only thing I hated more than the sixth dungeon in that game was the item you got from it. Worst case of wasted potential I have ever seen in the series.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Gen: I was thinking about the Persona 4 endings and I can see what they're saying in terms of that (massive spoilers):
Code:
although there isn't as much closure as the true ending, the worse bad ending still has a sense of closure to it because the presumed killer is dealt with and Nanako dies after a lot of foreshadowing.  Dojima's tempered reaction and Teddie's despair also help to wrap up a tragic closure.   After replaying again Shadow Teddie's remarks on the search for truth are disturbingly accurate for the situation in general.  In any case I would have left with fewer questions if I had quit after the bad ending than if I had quit after the good one.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: January 20, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »

While visiting Arizona on vacation this week I found Ys 3 and Starflight for the Genesis. I've been looking for both for a while and am pretty excited about them.

Other than that, I've been playing Dungeon Maker 2 on PSP. It's very good.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: January 20, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »

I was on an extreme budget all of MLK weekend, so I spent most of it at home devoting my time to Luminous Arc 2 and managed to complete it. The gameplay was pretty standard in every respect, and the dialogue/storyline was overly anime-esque for my tastes, but I liked how the game didn't take itself too seriously.

It had some random one-liners and popular references that made me chuckle, like one of the witches saying "Oh! Em! Gee!"

The game left a lot to be desired though. I would give it a C+/B-.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »

Gen: I was thinking about the Persona 4 endings and I can see what they're saying in terms of that (massive spoilers):
Code:
although there isn't as much closure as the true ending, the worse bad ending still has a sense of closure to it because the presumed killer is dealt with and Nanako dies after a lot of foreshadowing.  Dojima's tempered reaction and Teddie's despair also help to wrap up a tragic closure.   After replaying again Shadow Teddie's remarks on the search for truth are disturbingly accurate for the situation in general.  In any case I would have left with fewer questions if I had quit after the bad ending than if I had quit after the good one.

Well that's just it though, I didn't see any of that as "closure" in any sense of the word.

Code:
First of all, it's fairly obvious that Namatame isn't the real killer.  It's a combination of things, I think, that said this to me.  His general attitude didn't say "killer" to me, and his insistence that he was "rescuing" people didn't really make sense and didn't get expounded upon, thus leaving a pretty damn big loose thread.  The fact that Fool doesn't max if you kill him just expounds upon that, and gives you a gameplay-based reason to not suspect him.

Teddie's acceptance of his fate as a shadow and running away into the Midnight Channel also doesn't flow with his character at all.  He's the -Star-, and the Star is all about overcoming self-doubt and rising above your lot in life.  In running away, he just gives up and goes home, and that's hardly a conclusion to his story.

Plus there's the whole deal with the death fog overtaking Inaba and basically just fucking the country that sort of says "Oh hey yeah this isn't resolved at all."  This goes for the whole attitude of the ending as well.

It's these kinds of things that really ruined any sense of reality the bad ending could have held, at least for me.  Too many things were never explained, too many threads left open, and too many parts that didn't make sense.

Like I said earlier, it's fine to have a sad ending, but when you have to leave this many plotholes lying about to make it sad, it just doesn't work.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »

The indie store I shop at reduced a bunch of games prices so I picked up:

Grandia 2 & 3
Romancing Saga
Valkyrie Profile 2 (ha!)

Almost picked up Dawn of Mana as well, but I'd heard some pretty brutal stuff about it, so I left it for later.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: January 20, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »

Ar Tonelico 2: it's a good thing I'm a pervert because an hour in there are already some...interesting changes from the first game.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »

Romancing Saga

Best game EVER.  Once you go Minstrel you never go back.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »

Romancing Saga

Best game EVER.  Once you go Minstrel you never go back.

I am quite partial to Saga Frontier 2, but this seems to be fairly well regarded, and it was cheap. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2009, 07:42:50 PM »

Digged up DQI&II, currently playing DQI. Saved the princess and got the Shiny Harp. Since I don't remember where I'm supposed to go, I just kept roaming throught the fields until I got killed by a random monster.

Okami: Hands down the best cel-shading I've seen on the PS2, plus it has an excellent gameplay to back it up. The characters are all very likeable, specially Issun; he is such a little smartass, love him. Took a while to get used to the brush controls, though I still have some trouble drawing circles. I finally understand why so many people were saddened when Clover Studios disbanded... Did a few side-quests and I'm now on my wait to the city.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:46:15 PM by Draak » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: