Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers  (Read 303138 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Oops - I forgot to add that I picked up Dark Cloud 2 as well.

Quite the haul for me today. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »

The only thing I hated more than the sixth dungeon in that game was the item you got from it. Worst case of wasted potential I have ever seen in the series.

Yeah, it was a total letdown, wasn't it? Like most of the items in the game, I instantly fell in love with them once I got them, but once their respectives temples were completed, they all became more or less useless, aside from the Clawshots. It's sort of disappointing; I would have liked to use more than just my sword to do stuff, you know?

Anyway, I finished up Twilight Princess. The last two dungeons were the most half-assed parts of the entire game. It's as if the developers were all like "Well...I mean...we've got that awesome temple with the double clawshots, so I don't think we really need to try too hard on the next two. Let's just make one black and one white, then throw in some enemies that the player has already encountered multiple times throughout the game."

Solid package overall, though. I had a good time, even though there were some rough patches.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2009, 01:18:54 AM »

Yeah, it was a total letdown, wasn't it? Like most of the items in the game, I instantly fell in love with them once I got them, but once their respectives temples were completed, they all became more or less useless, aside from the Clawshots. It's sort of disappointing; I would have liked to use more than just my sword to do stuff, you know?

This is also why I was pretty annoyed at the story enforced linearity Zelda TP had compared to most prior Zeldas. I could accept it if I could reliably use each item at the progressive dungeon, but the item just gets thrown aside when its obligatory dungeon is completed. If you were just going to do that you may as well have avoided contriving reasons to make me complete every dungeon in a specific order.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2009, 03:21:45 AM »

I will admit some items did get some serious love like the Iron Boots (which I kept permanently equipped  for the rest of my second playthru, excepting the occasionally necessary item combo), but aside from that a lot of items just got dumped on (Slingshot/Spider Bombs/Horse Call/Wolf Form(aside from Teleport and Smizion)/Wooden Sword/Giant Wallet). Even this game's version of the awesome Bomb Arrows of Link's Awakening were completely forgotten by the end of level 3.

Moving on to make my update. I have beaten WL:SML3 and got shacked up in a tree house (since I only had five of the treasures). I've also completed Megaman: Dr. Wily's Revenge, and started Megaman: Battle Network 2 (in which I've just beaten Quick Man). I've unfortunately been unable to make any meaningful progress with Thage's story in EP, and I've haven't had the time today to even touch SN:TA so no progress there. I'm right now thinking about moving on to Great Greed to fill up my GBA which was left open after Sword of Hope, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, and Megaman: Dr. Wily's Revenge (of course I could always take the time to revisit Lufia 3 but I would like to beat some more games).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »

Whoa, game prices in Canada have all jumped five to ten bucks.  This means Star Ocean 2 is $49.99 at EB.  And...  Fifty bucks before taxes and shit for a portable game is not acceptable.  I had to order it online.  After taxes and shipping, it came out to be ten bucks cheaper than in a shop.

Anyway, put Vesperia and Suiko 2 on the backburner as I have grown bored of both of them.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »

I've put Vesperia on the backburner twice out of boredom (I've only managed 29 hours total). I don't know if I'll ever beat it. The lack of story means I have no motivation whatsoever to play the game.

I might start up Dead Space tonight.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »

See, the story is really generic, but I love the interactions between all the characters so much, it's kept me hooked for...  Almost 50 hours on my first play.  I mean, it took me, like, six tries to get into Abyss, so...  I dunno.  Love the game, but I need a break.

I'm only 20 hours into Suiko 2, but man, the localization is /so/ /fucking/ /bad/.

Ellipses that jump between ................ and .....

Exclamation points like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Or this!!!!

IT'S ONE OR NONE, ASSHOLES.

Your's is not a real word.

Nanami TALKING IN CAPS.

put in

Just...  Distracting.  Love collecting characters though.  I'll finish this.  Sometime.  I stopped playing last time for the same reason.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

Ar Tonelico II: 4 hours.  I'm not sure what the difference in difficulties must be because I have finished most battles in one turn on the harder difficulty.  Maybe you don't fight at all on easy?

I just got a character I am leaving in the party permanently despite the character's plot role's being spelled out with the subtlety of being hit with a ton of bricks.

And holy cow, the OSTs that came with the game have like 55 songs, so that may be the full mostly awesome thing.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »

Recieved Yakuza in the mails, haven't played it because I'm lacking televisions.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

The Puzzle Quest: Galactrix demo.

Pure awesomeness. Definitely better than the first one.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2009, 01:09:05 AM »

The Puzzle Quest: Galactrix demo.

Pure awesomeness. Definitely better than the first one.
Eh, I couldn't get into it. Loved the first game, but Galactrix isn't doing anything for me.

Just put a few hours more than I wanted to into Mass Effect. Got some homework to get done now, but I think it was worth it. Finally finished it.

Level 50, used Ashley and Garrus for nearly the entire game. Nabbed their respective achievements. It was okay. The story quests were good if not great. Presentation was a little sloppy. Side missions were just awful. And that Mako:
Code:
best moment in the game for me was watching it get totaled. Finally!

The thing handled like a ball of foil in a McDonalds ball pit.

[/url]
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:52 AM »

Decided to pop in the first Idolmaster again and play it for a bit, while waiting for Otomedius G and Ar Tonelico 2 to come in the mail.

Managing for Haruka now. I pissed her off by accident though, cause there was a part where I was supposed to wipe her sweat by holding A down, and moving the cursor across her forehead. But I only pressed it, and ended up hitting her in the head. Aside from that though, it's just the usual mini-games and such. :P I suck at rhythm games, but they're so fun. >.>

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »

Trying (TRYING) to get my Survival mode achievements for DoA4.  Man, that's some hard shit.  I made it to 39 wins last night, which was enough for bronze, but 11 short for silver and 61 short for gold.  :(  ...And then we have TAG SURVIVAL.  Yikes.

Oh well, we've got XBox Gold now, so I guess I can start working on that shit too.  :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »

Fun stuff that Galactrix, but man the computer is merciless.  That's one thing I disliked about the first Puzzle Quest that the computer often cheated like a fiend and gave itself insane combos all the time. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »

Isn't that how most competetive puzzle games work?  The computer knows how every move is going to play out, so it can plan way ahead and set up combos that no actual player could ever forsee.  the only reason you can -ever- win in vs. CPU fights in those games is because the CPU is intentionally handicapped.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: