Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 12:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331343 Posts in 13570 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers  (Read 304267 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

Ahh, that'd explain it. Of the 4 generations the second is the one I played least. Also, I should point out that while this might not count, if you look past RPGs for shitty NPCs I'm sure you'll come across quite a few that are much worse than Pokey despite (if not because) they try to be useful. At least he just cowers in the back and doesn't screw you over outside of the plot.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »

Since my 360 is now dead...again, I picked up Oblivion:GOTY for my PS3 and started up as a Battle Mage.  I'm loving it but the so-called improvements to the PS3's draw-in distance seem to be bullshit as far as I can tell. Just an observation.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: February 11, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »

The same can be said of the Chrono Cross characters.  You lose out on Glenn for taking Mel, Korcha, and Doc;

No, you lose out on... someone else for taking Glenn. Glenn, Doc, and Macha, or Mel, Korcha, and... uh... something.

Also what in the world is Psych?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »

Psych is the MP drain spell in FF4.  Tellah has it even before he regains his memory, and it's integral to his continued usefulness in the party, since it helps negate his limited MP problem.

And according to GameFAQs, you miss out on Razzly if you get Glenn.  Dunno how accurate that is, it's been years and years since I played CC.

I bought Retro Game Challenge today, and I'm already up to Guadia Quest.  For a bunch of "challenges" this game sure is piss easy.  Although I'm starting to wonder if that's part of the point the game is trying to make, that the game's antagonist "80's Game Master" is just one of those blowhards who sucks at games but thinks he's better than everyone because he played games on the Atari and NES, despite the fact that he wasn't very good at them.

Or maybe it's just so that you can actually beat the games and unlock new ones, since putting in actual ludicrous challenges would kind of kill the joy in the game.  Whatever.

New challenge, Grind my characters to level 7.  Whoo.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:22:32 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:53 AM »

I still don't recall ever seeing Psych in FFIV :| although there's no like, tooltips or in-game explanation of what spells do so...

---edit---

Probably because it's called Osmose in hardtype. Apparently.

Anyway.

Played Lords of Magic for a bit. For a game that starts as slow as it does, it gets sort of nuts when it takes off.

* As Order, the Death tribe hates me. Death is also really damn close to me. They also really like lobbing thieves at me. Thieves can *hide*.

* There are also Marauding parties. Lately, they've taken over my capital, a brewery, and a gold mine. Which means I had no income. Which meeeeans that after a turn, I couldn't pay upkeep and some of my (nicely levelled) forces ditched. Reload and several mucking-a-bouts later, I got THAT sorted out.

* Speaking of Marauding Tribes, there's a huge band of centaurs to the east of my capitol, and some firelord + goblins + ring I want to the west.

* Trying to get my mage to research some sort of far-seeing spell. However, every time my capitol or citadel gets taken over, the process resets.

* Also, I don't really have any barracks right now because they got destroyed and I can't afford to rebuild them because I'm sort of lacking in gold. I guess I could sell excess crystals, fame, and booze.

Also this:

Его книги и пьесы—очень несчастливи, потому что характерные черты у героей только отрицательни. Несколько люди думаю, что его писании гнетущи, но я думаю, что они очень интересны, и я считаю, что правдивость его искусства очень вдохновляюща.

Его вид о политике также что-то очень интересний, о котором думать. Он был социалист, и это видимый в пути и о чём он написал. Я не соглашаюсь с им часто, но я чувствую что он спрашивал важные вопроси и поставил мысли, о которых достойных думать.

I doubt that's even coherent at all. And it's homework but if I pretend it's a videogame it's less chorish and more like just playing a really crappy and tedious JRPG for the TI-99.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:08:13 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »

I bought Retro Game Challenge today, and I'm already up to Guadia Quest.  For a bunch of "challenges" this game sure is piss easy.  Although I'm starting to wonder if that's part of the point the game is trying to make, that the game's antagonist "80's Game Master" is just one of those blowhards who sucks at games but thinks he's better than everyone because he played games on the Atari and NES, despite the fact that he wasn't very good at them.

...What? I'm surprised someone could know about Retro Game Challenge enough to play it, yet know nothing about the Japanese TV show it's based on.

I've been playing Bioshock / R-Type Dimensions / Braid / Sonic's UGC / Retro Game Challenge so far this week.

Bioshock, I hated the PSN demo. Just don't like FSPes in general. But it's been piqueing my interest enough this time for me to play it.

R-Type is great, but the achievements that require actual shmup skill have been pissing me off way too much. :P

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:28 AM »

No FE character truly sucks unless you just don't use them. They all have their merits.

The same can be said of the Chrono Cross characters.  You lose out on Glenn for taking Mel, Korcha, and Doc; but all three of them are still decent characters(Mel especially if you like stealing elements) so I don't think they're in quite the same category as Noel.  They're more in the same category as Earnest.

And since it's also relevant, at least Jeigan and his crew are useful at -some- point of the game.  Noel is -never- useful.  And Fiona isn't AMAZING like her sisters, but she's still a very good unit(Assuming you mean FE7 Fiona.)  She's not even close to a "terrible character".

And according to GameFAQs, you miss out on Razzly if you get Glenn.  Dunno how accurate that is, it's been years and years since I played CC.

I forgot about Razzly, but my opinion on whether or not she's worth losing Glenn over is a different matter (I can't say myself since I never got to use that one Triple Tech that she's a part of).

As for Fiona, I was referring to FE 10s Fiona (Flora or whatever that blue armored Social Knight's (can't remember what weapon she uses) name was). She comes in badly underleveled, with subpar stats and growths, at a point when exp is scarce, without much time to be babied up to snuff (4 missions including the one you recruit her on before the end of the Dawn Brigade chapter and one of those is just with Mickey and BK), and is mounted which isn't nearly as good as it was in 9 (thanks to swamps, ledges, and stuff). The only use I can think of for her is to kill her off instead of trying to recruit her (unless you've let one too many DBers die in the previous missions).

Edit: Only meaningful progress since my last post was the completion of the second chapter in Riveria.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:31:22 AM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »

...What? I'm surprised someone could know about Retro Game Challenge enough to play it, yet know nothing about the Japanese TV show it's based on.

...why would I need to know anything about the show?  The game is about clearing challenges in fake oldschool videogames.  And it's not like it wasn't advertised here, especially given that anyone who wants to play Fragile knows about XSeed blackmailing us with Retro Game Challenge.

Killer: Oh, her.  Yeah, she's pretty bad, but she still ends up decent if you make her a Sword Paladin.  She's the worst character in her game, but she's still capable of most of the things other units of her class can do.  IIRC, her biggest asset is that she has the largest MAG stat of any of the Pallys, so she can use the MAG-based swords like the Sword of Wind and what have you.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

I read that the unlocked full version of Guadia Quest within Retro Game Challenge is actually a 10-12 hour dungeon crawl.  Truth?  That seems fairly robust for what it is.  I've heard that all the games (in their full-on unlocked versions) are pretty robust.  And hearing that the challenges won't kick my ass and frustrate me to no end has appeal.  I may pick this one up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:01:28 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »

Yeah, the challenges so far have been stupid easy.  I certianly wouldn't say I'm a spectacular player and I've managed to clear all of them in pretty much one go.

And yeah, the games are pretty robust.  They're built like oldschool games, and they're meant to be played over and over.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

...why would I need to know anything about the show?  The game is about clearing challenges in fake oldschool videogames.  And it's not like it wasn't advertised here, especially given that anyone who wants to play Fragile knows about XSeed blackmailing us with Retro Game Challenge.

Does this guy do anything but fucking complain?

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »

...there was a complaint in there?  How was any part of the post you quoted a complaint?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »

I thought Cabbage Night, the eve of Halloween, was when we egged people.  Not the eve of Valentine's Day.  Anyway, I just started Retro Game Challenge.  I'm a girl named Sayori because, well, I prefer to play female protagonists and Sayori is my favorite girl's name. 

Bottom line, this game is fun, no matter how you slice it. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:29:01 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »

I tried out the Halo Wars demo. I enjoyed it. It played like a streamlined RTS experience. The tutorial was helpful, they thoroughly explained what the controls do and the various features that you can perform. I'll probably buy it someday; maybe when it gets cheaper.

Also, tried the H.A.W.X. demo. I'm not a fan of fighter jet simulators, so I couldn't say I was interested playing this. It started pretty good, but once there was a lot going on on-screen, I began to panic, and lost control. While the controls were manageable, again, when I was being overwhelmed by enemies everywhere, it was hard to keep track of everything.

Played more Enchanted Arms. I'm about 20 hours into the game. There's a lot of dialogue, so it's a little bit dull making progress. The story keeps me interested, though.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »

I'm on disc two of Xenosaga III.

Code:
Holy shit, Shion's a man!

Or she's just the most annoying character ever.  Well, next to Squall.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: