Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334551 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers  (Read 305842 times)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: February 16, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »

Well, I hit a wall in P4.  I was dungeon crawling for the last hour - hour 1/2 or so.  Anyway, got a mudo spell thrown at my main character and he died.  It really sucks when you put in all that work for nothing, so I probably need to put the game away for the next couple of days before I can bring myself to dungeon crawl like that again.   Other than that, I have continued to play Blue Dragon.  Still having fun. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: February 16, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

Always, always, always, when entering a new area in a Megaten game, equip a Persona that Nulls Darkness.  Always, always, always.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »

Or in P4's case, constantly use Go-Hom. It's his fault for not using one, saving and then picking up right where he left off.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:49 PM »

Always, always, always, when entering a new area in a Megaten game, equip a Persona that Nulls Darkness.  Always, always, always.

That works inversely, too. Never equip a Persona that's weak to Darkness. Never, never, never. =P
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »

That works inversely, too. Never equip a Persona that's weak to Darkness. Never, never, never. =P

Yes, yes, that I know is a big no no.  I was like a floor away from a save point, so I thought I would be fine and took the chance.  That's the thing in Megaten games usually taking a chance isn't a good idea  It was my own fault, but anyway I popped the game back in and did the hike all over again, made sure I saved the game, and beat the bonus boss that I was tryinig to reach.  So, now I'm in a better mood.  What can I say, I was tired, getting impatient, and I just wanted to face the boss...and look where impatience got me haha.  :-)  The next time I was patient and got what I wanted.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »

Weak to dark is ok in areas that you are positive don't contain enemies who can use Mudo.  Esp. since several Personas that are weak to dark are really powerful, like the Angels and Arch-Angels.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »

Star Prince is easily my favorite in Retro Game Challenge right now.

Dude, you should play the NES game Star Solider. It's literally the exact same thing. Enemy formations, level structure, etc. are all identical (aside from the few elements Star Prince borrows from Star Force).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:46 AM »

10 hours in XS, got Chaos, and beat the boss right after (yes I'm slow but I abused the Drill mini-game and got some uber accessories in the meanwhile (also wasted a hell of a lot of time looking for a map that I could've gotten simply by proceeding to the next objective instead of scouring the god-damned ship >.<)).

Out of the sewers in MGS: GB. Now to find a soldier in disguise.

That is all.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:30 AM »

Dude, you should play the NES game Star Solider. It's literally the exact same thing. Enemy formations, level structure, etc. are all identical (aside from the few elements Star Prince borrows from Star Force).

Cool.  I can always appreciate a good shooter.  I always find it interesting that fans of RPGs are also often fans of shooters. 

In Retro Game Challenge I'm at Haggleman 2.  I'm stuck on one of the challenges. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Cool.  I can always appreciate a good shooter.  I always find it interesting that fans of RPGs are also often fans of shooters. 

In Retro Game Challenge I'm at Haggleman 2.  I'm stuck on one of the challenges. 

I find it interesting that fans of RPGs are also often fans of fighting games (and Megaman games).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »

I think that developers have been realizing over the last few years that some elements of RPGs have a lot broader appeal than they thought.  Mainly, the idea of building a character over the course of a game to a greater extent than just "now you have a shotgun." 

For example, I seem to remember that one of our own said his favorite RPG of the last year was NHL 2009, and although that game didn't fall into what we'd normally think of as the RPG genre, I could definitely understand what he meant based on the player customization available there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: February 17, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »

Tenchu Z -- Mission 40, Grand master all difficulties.

Things are getting messy.  Three or four guys all standing within eyeshot of each other.  I've had to start bringing maximum blow guns so I can assassinate these guys from far away or else I get spotted by several dudes at the same time.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: February 17, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Sexy stuff.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »

Re: RPG fans loving shooters, fighters and MegaMan.  Now that I think about it, I think many RPG fans love, say, intense shooters is because they offer a more visceral gaming experience that RPGs, a typically more cerebral genre, don't.  Playing Thunder Force just appeals to a different part of my brain than playing Dragon Quest. 

When it comes to non-RPGs and non-graphic adventures, I really enjoy shooters (I prefer vertical shooters to horizontal or first person shooters), fighting games, driving/racing games, and puzzlers.  I'm not a big fan of platformers. 

In Retro Game Challenge, I just got to Guadia Quest.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:19:28 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: February 17, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Puzzle Quest: After the 50th try, I managed to score a nice stroke of luck and took Lord Bane down. He's wayyy overpowered (HP and progressively-growing strength) and has cheap spells that can make him easily 4ofakind and combo. I don't know how I did it, but I'm just glad got that game over with. I'm starting to see jewels when I close my eyes.

Now it's back to juggling TWEWY and Radiata Stories, I guess. Though I am tempted to just buy the new Fire Emblem and put the others on the backlog. 

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: