Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341271 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Super Game Journal Turbo II - The New Challengers  (Read 310008 times)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »

Having fun with Dynasty Warriors 6. I cleared Sima Yi, Sun Shang Xiang, and Guan Yu's stories so far. Now I'm working on Dian Wei. I think I'm tolerating the repetitive gameplay primarly because it looks so pretty on my hdtv. :D

Same with movies. I watched Babylon A.D. on Blu-Ray and half-enjoyed it just because it looked pretty. Otherwise, what a fucking lame movie (expected cooler action sequences and special effects, instead got lots of zzz).

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:38 AM »

Up to chapter 15 now in FE:SD.

Also, I ran across a theory about being able to recruit both Chiki and Nagi using Ohm staff. If true, then my Harem Gaiden run is officially fucked. >:(

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: March 27, 2009, 05:28:26 AM »

Having fun with Dynasty Warriors 6. I cleared Sima Yi, Sun Shang Xiang, and Guan Yu's stories so far. Now I'm working on Dian Wei. I think I'm tolerating the repetitive gameplay primarly because it looks so pretty on my hdtv. :D

I keep thinking about getting this, but I already have DW4, and DW5 is cheaper. Is it that much of an improvement over the latter two that I should get this? Or is DW5 better?

Anyway, Oddworld keeps impressing me. It pretty much IS Flashback with Exile-esque interactivity and interaction-driven emergence. It's also very gorgeous and atmospheric, and does a great job with non-textual storytelling. But the gameplay and designs what's really impressing me. I'm in the second  'level' now, and it's more open than the first, but with backtracking via those portals, kind of.

Also, spent some time with FFL2, because it's my favorite game. One of the things -- I might've mentioned this before -- that I was sort of liking about FF2 is the way that not every town has every weapon, which in theory gives you a non-story reason to back track or visit towns. In practice it doesn't work all that well. The actual Saga games improve on this a lot. I remember, especially, in FFL1 the way that one of the towns had a lot of equipment suitable for mutants, so I always had to go back there to resupply. Up to Giant's town in FFL2. Good equipment there but I can't afford it yet, so I always know I can go back later and get it.

I remember someone mentioning the pet peeves thread where they didn't like having to constantly revisit towns to see if new sidequests opened up. I think making sidequests less apparent, but giving players a non-story reason to go back -- special weapons like in the SaGa games, or minigames like in Zelda, for instance -- would alleviate this issue. That way you can sitll surprise them with new events without having to hint at them thus ruining the surprise, but they also want be as likely to miss them or forced to a bunch of repetitive endless backtracking.

( I can't remember if Morrowind did this or not. I have various economy mods running that make store inventories dynamic).

(I like pretending that the trees in FFL2 are araucarias :333)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »

Lufia: Ruins of Lore - Dang, just as annoying as reviewed.  This will test my loyalty to the Lufia franchise. :p  I've already died 4 times in the first hour.  Hmm, guess I can't throw caution to the wind in this game.  On a related note, I would not have wanted to pay more than the $5.20ish I paid for it.  I love games with slowdown from grass!

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - I'm pretty impressed so far in the hour or so I played.  I can see why people say it's tough, but Metroidvania with a challenge sounds good to me.

Izuna - I'm guessing I'm halfway through.  Just as awesome as I figured it would be.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: March 27, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »

Ryos- I've had the misfortune of playing Lufia: Ruins of Lore back in ye olden days.  I thought Holzworth's review on the site was way too forgiving.  Babin's review echoed my sentiments.  That game was just crap.  How the mighty hath fallen, eh?  Lufia 1 was good.  Lufia 2 was golden.  Lufia: The Legend Returns was bad.  And Lufia: Ruins of Lore was, to me, one of the worst RPGs of this decade.  I even liked that craptastic DS InuYasha RPG more than Ruins of Lore.  Ruins of Lore is also the only RPG I can think of where random encounters would be preferable to the see-your-enemies-beforehand method used there.  And from me, that's saying something. 

In gaming:

I've been sampling some random RPG Maker projects, and the best one I've tried to far is a demo for this game Ascendence from a Finnish developer.  The text reads smoothly and the visuals (particularly the cutscenes) are great.  It's set in a Blade Runner type future (a big plus) and the plot seems intriguing.  I'm interested. 

Next game I'll be reviewing for RPGFan- Lux Pain.  My copy just needs to come in so I can start it.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:47:10 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »

I keep thinking about getting this, but I already have DW4, and DW5 is cheaper. Is it that much of an improvement over the latter two that I should get this? Or is DW5 better?

Well, I've only played DW4, 5, and 6, and I can say that DW6 is by far the best one.  There is a huge number of improvements to the system, and a marked effort to make the story characters play very differently from each other.  Though if I were you, I'd either get the PS2 version(Which came afterwards and was superior to the HD versions in every area but graphics) or wait for DW6 Empires, because despite the above there were still a lot of clone characters in the original version of the game, while they're not in the later versions(Zhang He gets his claw back, Sun Ce gets his Tonfas back, I think Guan Ping gets his huge sword back, etc.  In plain DW6 for the 360 and PSTriple, all of those characters were clones of clones)

But the combat system in general and the way bases and special abilities are used was far superior to any of the older games in the series, IMO.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: March 27, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »

I like the DW games in the sense that uh, of all the beat em up/RPG genre blends I've played in recent years, DW somehow feels the most RCRish to me. Legend of mana probably being the second closest.

I just wish they had a better mid-level save system. Or rather more forgiving, I guess. But anyway yeah I'd have to get the PS2 version anyway. No current gen sitting consoles here. Anyway though, you got me feeling like getting this, maybe :P I always associate dynasty warriors with spring for some odd, odd reason.

Also good god how late was I up last night?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »

Gears 2 has been mildly ruined for me with the new patch. I hate the changes they made. I used to play the multi-player all the time, but I don't see myself coming back to it as much as I used to. Bummer.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

I really should've played it before these updates hit, I was sticking to the singleplayer campaign until I did so (or I managed to join a game with some people, whichever.)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: March 27, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

Oblivion:  Thief!  Dark Brotherhood!  Flaming dogs from the skies!

The Last Remnant:  Some quest involving beetles or some shit, I can't remember.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: March 27, 2009, 10:15:27 PM »

I popped in Super Mario Galaxy for the first time in several months. I got quite a few stars. I'm on the third galaxy now.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: March 27, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »

Beat The Answer last night. The dungeon crawling got a bit too monotonous at times, but overall I liked it. I also started up Suikoden V. It has been great so far. Probably gonna continue with The Last Remnant, Suikoden 1, Tierkreis and V and put everything else on hold for now. Possibly break up all the RPG games with Mad World or Yakuza 2.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »

Ryos- I've had the misfortune of playing Lufia: Ruins of Lore back in ye olden days.  I thought Holzworth's review on the site was way too forgiving.  Babin's review echoed my sentiments.  That game was just crap.  How the mighty hath fallen, eh?  Lufia 1 was good.  Lufia 2 was golden.  Lufia: The Legend Returns was bad.  And Lufia: Ruins of Lore was, to me, one of the worst RPGs of this decade.

Ah, I loved Lufia 2 and was so excited for Ruins of Lore. I didn't make it far...I gave up in the sewers about three or four hours in. I hate sewer areas regardless of the game (unless it is a TMNT game I suppose), and that was probably the worst I've ever encountered. I hope it is more enjoyable for you, Ryos.

Wow, I think I've done nothing gaming wise for the last two weeks outside of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on Virtual Console.

I've also been playing Twilight Princess, but for my senior thesis rather than pure enjoyment so I'm not sure it counts.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: March 28, 2009, 05:59:40 AM »

Ryos- I've had the misfortune of playing Lufia: Ruins of Lore back in ye olden days.  I thought Holzworth's review on the site was way too forgiving.  Babin's review echoed my sentiments.  That game was just crap.  How the mighty hath fallen, eh?  Lufia 1 was good.  Lufia 2 was golden.  Lufia: The Legend Returns was bad.  And Lufia: Ruins of Lore was, to me, one of the worst RPGs of this decade.

Ah, I loved Lufia 2 and was so excited for Ruins of Lore. I didn't make it far...I gave up in the sewers about three or four hours in. I hate sewer areas regardless of the game (unless it is a TMNT game I suppose), and that was probably the worst I've ever encountered. I hope it is more enjoyable for you, Ryos.

I also had the misfortune of playing through that game (thankfully for me I simply borrowed my brother's copy for free). The only good thing about that game for me was the Map music with everything else just down right blowing ass. I can't think of a game with buggier combat than this and not only it was one of the worst examples of animation recycling I had ever laid eyes on (and I played through PS3 too). The only thing more useless than the IP gauge (fuse with your pet for absolute defense while uncontrollably fire off attacks that are probably worse than whatever you were using especially since healing skills targeted yourself and did nothing) was the fourth permanent character (what possible reason shouldn't a permanent character be able to partake of the game's class system?). Ancient Cave in this game sucked since only your main character and one monster could enter it (leaving everybody else to fall severely behind in levels and skills and thus making this probably the only game where revive spells were pointless).

As for the story Plucky Young Disk Monster Trainer and co. somehow has to stop some evil dictator of an evil team of evil baddies from reviving an ancient Disk Monster that wiped out an ancient city. Also said PYDMT&c runs into some guy named Dekar who did some stuff with some other nobodies, but none of them matter anyway since they're not totally cool Disk Monster Trainers and only totally cool Disk Monster Trainers can save this world. And that nobody was so totally uncool that he didn't even bother to stick around to fight that totally evil badguy and his team of Disk Monster trainers.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: March 28, 2009, 06:09:38 AM »

Alright, so I started up Ar Tonelico 2 yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to play it (four hours in, maybe), but it's pretty okay so far. Battle system is pretty cool.

WE NEED TO MAKE OUT TO INCREASE OUR POWER
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: