Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327146 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  anyone looking forward to ar tonelico 2?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print
Author Topic: anyone looking forward to ar tonelico 2?  (Read 46297 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

I never used item synth in AT1 unless needed to for the main quest, and was told that there is even less of a focus in AT2.

LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »

Speaking of item synthing, does it even play that big of a role in this game? I've played for about twelve hours, and I only have, like three recipes.

Yes, quite a bit.  You get most of your equipment through synthesizing, chat topics with the girls, items for bathing that will increase synch rates, and backstory and character developement.  I think it's only necessary 1 or 2 times in the game, but skipping out on it would make you miss out on quite a bit.  The number of recipes will increase substaintially as you progress in the game.  Once you gain access to all the shops and all reyvateils you can pretty much leave and enter shops for hours triggering scenes and getting recipes.
aquagon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »

Well, you can clear the game without doing all the recipes (it's an optional part of the game), but synthing them does somewhat improve the experience. And the more you visit the shopkeepers, the more recipes you'll get, just remember you need a specific Reyvateil for the shopkeepers to give you new scenes and recipes, and the Pira Theory 1~6 and Ancient Document items for unlocking a few recipes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:29:55 PM by aquagon » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2009, 09:16:01 AM »

Started this up last night.

Battles will take getting used to, they are much more fast and furious than AT1.

I also like the psuedo 3D graphics on a 2D plane look. Only 2 hours in so don't have any story impressions yet.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

I also like the psuedo 3D graphics on a 2D plane look.
The non-battle character graphics just made me want to puke. They're like the opposite of the usual deformed Japanese models - tiny heads, huge bodies. Also, Croix, looks like a girl in his civilian outfit. I literally spent a good minute or two the first time I saw it trying to figure out how it was men's clothing.

The battle graphics are nice enough, I suppose, although the screenshots of Atelier Rorona make me wish for Ar Tonelico 3 on the PS3 or 360. :)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »

Yeah, I don't really like the 2d sprites, I feel that they're a step down from AT1.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

I'm about 10 hours in, and so far I think I like AT1 better.

This game is more streamlined, and the synth aspect is more like the AI series than AT which is a plus.

However, atleast where I am in the game so far, AT1 seemed more epic, with the climbing of the tower which no one had ever done to save the world.

Plus, the dungeons in this game are very short and linear, main path with rooms off to the side with crappy treasure boxes.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »

Plus, the dungeons in this game are very short and linear, main path with rooms off to the side with crappy treasure boxes.

I do distinctly remember the dungeons being much quicker and more straightforward than in the first game.  That was a plus for me however, as it made the dungeon crawling aspect faster paced IMO. 

One of my gripes with AT2 is that it dabbled in a lot of different "systems", but was mediocre with most of them.  The dualistall bathing system was silly, the dive therapy sessions were nonsensical (at least as they were localized), and the rogue reyvateil mission system was amusing but not well integrated into the main plot.  Not to say I didn't like the game overall, though (sans the buggy localization).

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »

The dualistall bathing system was silly
Just remember: NISA added all the innuendo! The original Japanese authors had only pure intentions in mind! (Right - because NISA added all those art assets of Jacqli wearing next to nothing.)

the dive therapy sessions were nonsensical (at least as they were localized)
Agreed. After the first few, I just dispensed with the "watch" command, because I would wind up doing worse using it. The dive therapies alone made me realize what a hack job NISA did with the localization.

and the rogue reyvateil mission system was amusing but not well integrated into the main plot.
I don't think it was supposed to be integrated... kinda just random side quest easter eggs, so to speak.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

Keep in mind the original fluff in AT 2 is a lot more typical in Japan and would be a blip on the radar.  The altered dialogue really doesn't convey that (but then NISA failed so much here...).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Keep in mind the original fluff in AT 2 is a lot more typical in Japan and would be a blip on the radar.  The altered dialogue really doesn't convey that (but then NISA failed so much here...).

Oh I'm not bothered at all by the innuendo; I'm used to and actually rather fond of peculiar Japanese humor in that regard.  The dualistall system, like many of the game's systems, is silly because it's just not well justified in terms of the gaming world.  The background is sort of there with the explanation of the "science" behind it, but the execution of it where the Reyvateils randomly wander over crystals and gain stat upgrades just seems like design whimsy.  Having to redo the bathing and especially having to re-place all the crystals every time you come across additional crystals is somewhat irksome as well.  Using it as a leveling system also doesn't really make any sense, since they can only bathe with a limited number of crystals at a time and supposedly the effects are transient.  Not to say that all JRPG's don't breach reality in silly ways to some extent (part of their attraction, really), but Ar Tonelico II goes a bit overboard at times.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:04:53 AM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
aquagon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

Just remember: NISA added all the innuendo! The original Japanese authors had only pure intentions in mind! (Right - because NISA added all those art assets of Jacqli wearing next to nothing.)

The game does have it's own fair share of innuendo, but much less than what the localization should make you think (and the thing with Jakuri does make sense if you even think about how she lived her life, and how she was treated).

And actually, the effects of the crystals aren't exactly transient, they just go away whenever you do another Dualstall. And for the record, I prefer it to the Install system of the first game.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

I never used the install system at all in the first game, or the system where you made more powerful crystals or whatever it was. The game was so easy there was no need to spend any time on it.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »

The game does have it's own fair share of innuendo, but much less than what the localization should make you think (and the thing with Jakuri does make sense if you even think about how she lived her life, and how she was treated).
Sorry, but no. It's pretty clear that while NISA tossed in some innuendo, they were not the ones who tossed the majority of the hyper-sexualized stuff into the game. IMHO, the amount of innuendo in the dialogue is overstated anyways, it's not that much worse than what was in AT 1.
aquagon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »

The one wrong here is you. The Dualstall function and Jakuri, you say... but they do contain any actual innuendo aside from graphical ones?

Nope, it doesn't. Actually, NISA did increase the innuendo count in the dialogues, and that is something that anyone that has played both the import version and the US version has noticed (plus, they admited it themselves in the RPGamer interview). You're free to believe whatever you want, but I totally disagree with your position.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: