Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 10:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329969 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Favorite Movie of 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Movie of 2008  (Read 7253 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »

1. Iron Man - Amazing adaptation, loved it overall.

2. Changeling - Angelina Jolie has never acted in a better capacity, and the characterisation was spectacular.

3. Wall-E - A wonderfully adorable film, and probably my favourite thing Pixar has ever done.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

Iron Man had too much dialogue, and only like one or two scenes of action. No way does it deserve MOTY 2008!!

As for my favourite Movie of 2008.....

Not WALL-E....

Not The Dark Knight....

But it is.....

VEXILLE. Fucking brilliant, watch it now!!!

Worst Movie of 2008: Vantage Point. A bucket of shit, that one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:53:13 PM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:27 AM »

2008 was the year of the Indian Films.

Slumdog Millionaire was great, but my favorite has to be Jodhaa Akbar. It's an amazing, epic story about the emperor of Hindustan Jalaludin Akbar, and his life as well as his love interest, who happens to be Hindi while he follows Islam.

edit: And I know this sounds kind of like a random movie but trust me, you should go watch it if you love Epic films. It's 3.5 hours long and enjoyable most of the way through.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:22:30 AM by Thoren » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »

The film's a little flawed in that it does paint Akbar as a Muslim proper. He was after all, a synergistic believer considering his own faith of Din-i-Ilahi, something the movie only barely touches upon.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »

Back when I saw TDK in the theater I would have said that. But after seeing Iron Man, and watching TDK again on dvd, I realized I liked IM more. So thats my #1. TDK #2
Wall-E was great, but some of the latter scenes bring it down a notch. #3
I wish I saw more movies so I could have a proper list.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:24:44 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »

The film's a little flawed in that it does paint Akbar as a Muslim proper. He was after all, a synergistic believer considering his own faith of Din-i-Ilahi, something the movie only barely touches upon.

It's pretty historically inaccurate but its still a really enjoyable film. I mean it's got everything. Battle scenes, Romance, Singing, love triangles, etc
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:59 AM »

VEXILLE. Fucking brilliant, watch it now!!!
No.

Mine's The Dark Knight.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:13:52 AM by ZE GRAND MASTER » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »

I can't think of a GOOD movie from o-eh that I've seen! But I nominate Indy 4 for turd of the year. Fridge Logic ftl.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »

So for faves of '08, anyone here giving a toot about the Oscars this month?  Anyone throwing a hissy fit that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for best film or best director?  Anyone have any personal favorites they'd like to see win?  Anyone here think the academy has no taste and/or doesn't care?

As I said earlier, my favorite movie of '08 was Slumdog but it swept the Golden Globes so I don't see it winning many Oscars, despite all its nominations.  However, I would like to see it win Oscars for music because the music is fantastic and my family are longtime fans of A.R. Rahman. 

Then again, even if Slumdog doesn't win, Rahman's already getting tapped by Hollywood to potentially score American films and I think even Anil Kapoor may be getting tapped by Hollywood for roles.  That dude's so much fun in interviews.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:08:08 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 05:04:01 PM »

I don't care about the oscars anymore because they are all hags that don't know what they are doing. They nominated The Reader for best picture but not Reservation Road, The Wrestler, or The Dark Knight. All of those were much more praised by critics and fans. The Reader has a measly 58 on metacritic whereas The Dark Knight has an 82. I know metacritic doesn't count for everything but it shows critics had mixed reactions to The Reader, whereas The Dark Knight got universal acclaim. If Return of the King can get nominated for best picture (and win for that matter), why can't The Dark Knight?

The Dark Knight is still nominated for 8 oscars, but the ones that matter it didn't get nominated for (minus Heath of course).

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »

Rag on me all you want, Speed Racer snags my vote. As much as I liked the biggies like The Dark Knight, Speed Racer was the most fun I've ever had in the theaters.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »

I gave up on watching the Oscars years ago.
I really don't think DK deserves it, so I'm not bothered by its absence for best pic noms.
I'd like to see Kate get her statue, but that's only really because I have a thing for her.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

I think a lot of us gave up on award shows years ago.  Hell, I'm one of the masses who gave up on the Grammys when Metallica lost to f'n Jethro Tull in the inaugural metal category back in '88.  And even the dinky little Game of the Year awards we do at RPGFan have people crying foul. 

But as I have said in other threads, it's always fun to yell at the TV.  It's fun to yell at the TV that the award-pickers are clueless or, in the case of peoples' choice awards, that the people out there are clueless sheep. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »

2008 was the year of the Indian Films.

Slumdog Millionaire was great, but my favorite has to be Jodhaa Akbar. It's an amazing, epic story about the emperor of Hindustan Jalaludin Akbar, and his life as well as his love interest, who happens to be Hindi while he follows Islam.

edit: And I know this sounds kind of like a random movie but trust me, you should go watch it if you love Epic films. It's 3.5 hours long and enjoyable most of the way through.

LOVED Jodhaa Akbar. Absolutely stunning film and unashamedly epic. Glad that there's another person who got to see this one.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 02:42:49 AM »

WALL-E by far for me; haven't been so moved in a long time.

As far as I know I completely agree with you, if I remember something else that was better I'll update. Wall-E had more emotion in just expressions than most human actors can portray; pixar FTW!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: