Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  EGM shuts down; Ziff Davis sells 1up to UGO/Hearst
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: EGM shuts down; Ziff Davis sells 1up to UGO/Hearst  (Read 9138 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »

Gaming Journalism has been getting fucked in the ass recently. I watch the 1up Show and listen to their podcasts pretty often, one of the biggest reasons I enjoy 1up and EGM is because they come across as actual gamers, and not 'journalists trying to review games'. IGN for example has some pretty goddamn awful reviewers on board, and we all know Gamespot gets payed off for reviews.

Rest in peace, 1up/EGM.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »

Oh wow. I haven't read EGM in a long time and I don't frequent other gaming sites anymore, but it still sucks to hear. I met a couple of those people at E3s back in the day. Good luck to them. :(

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

So, who even owned a subscription to EGM?  I know I didn't, and I'd wager a grand majority of people who frequent this forum don't either.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

I can't remember the last time I actually had a new EGM. Maybe every now and then someone would end up impulse buying one just so we'd have come can-reading material, but that's about it.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »

I was subscribed, and I just had subscribed, too. At least I can say I own the very last issue of EGM. I know they're going to release the February issue in digital only, but the January issue is the last physical print.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

So, who even owned a subscription to EGM?  I know I didn't, and I'd wager a grand majority of people who frequent this forum don't either.

I took advantage of the free Joystiq subscription and had there not been rumblings of a sellout I would've renewed it. It was probably inevitable anyway, but I kind of wonder if enough people thinking similarly led to this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:58:37 PM by Eusis » Logged
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »

Goooooooooooooooooood news.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Between NeoGAF and Kotaku posting info as it comes in, in all honesty... I barely spend any time on major game sites.  I don't even look at the front page of this site.  By the time 1up, Gamespot, IGN, and all these other sites post anything, it was already on NeoGAF or Kotaku many hours, sometimes days prior.  There's also the issue of their reliance on ad revenue, and a lot of folks browse with ad blockers as it is (gamers tend to be a little more internet savvy and more likely to use stuff like Firefox w/extensions), which doesn't help sustain their business model.

Honestly, outside of the odd exclusive, 1up doesnít really offer anything more than what other news sites do. I think most would agree itís the podcasts and 1up show that separated 1up from the other gaming sites out there. To hear that theyíll be gutting a lot of that stuff out really annoys me. Itís nice that Retronauts and possibly 1up yours are sticking around, but the removal of the 1up show and the other podcasts is really going to suck. I really just liked watching or listening to a bunch of guys and gals sit around and talk about games. It seems like it would be an easy thing to do, yet there really arenít that many videogame podcasts or shows that get it right. If/when Retronauts is axed, I donít think Iíll have any reason to visit the site at all.

And Iím sure Iíve heard before that 1up was one of the few parts of Ziff Davis that was actually making a profit. Which is why it kind of surprises me that UGO are aiming to change so much about the site.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »

This kinda ticks me off, and not even because of 1up or EGM, it's mainly because Ziff Davis a decade ago was great, they had good content (see Tech TV) had a great name and brand in the internet world....and now because of shoddy leadership they've been a sinking ship for the better part of two years.

For the old skool "Screensavers" fans: Patrick Norton told you so. He left DL.tv a while back because of the stench coming from the ZD executive offices and now a lot of great people have lost their jobs.

Really frustrating and really unfortunate.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 03:37:32 AM »

If anyone's interested, ex-1up editors Anthony Gallegos, Nick Suttner, Philip Kollar, Matt Chandronait, Ryan OíDonnell have put up their first episode of Rebel.fm at eat-sleep-game.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 04:35:07 AM »

That's a pretty solid crew for a new podcast, and I'll certainly be adding their site to the RSS reader. Personally I'm still trying to compile a list of where my favorite editors from the site are going. The more I think about it, the more it continues to suck. But hey, I felt the same way when all of my favorite editors left GameSpot and now Giant Bomb exists, so who knows what the future will bring?
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »

If anyone's interested, ex-1up editors Anthony Gallegos, Nick Suttner, Philip Kollar, Matt Chandronait, Ryan OíDonnell have put up their first episode of Rebel.fm at eat-sleep-game.

I will download that as soon as I get back to my desk.  Thanks for the link.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »

Aw yeah. Retronauts lives on with a new episode. Now lets hope 1UP Yours will still be made. It's normally out on Fridays, so we'll see.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »

this bites. how does something like egm tank yet the garbage that is game informer is still around? what the fuck.

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »

Because Game Misinformer is owned by Gamestop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: