Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335185 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  At what point does a game become a good deal to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: At what point does a game become a good deal to you?  (Read 4572 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »

The Song Summoner discussion in another thread got me thinking today: I wonder what people's standards are for a worthwhile purchase in a game?

I tend to judge things by the movie ticket standard.  That is, I'd spend $10 for a movie ticket (OK, not exactly, but that's good enough and makes the math nice and easy), and I'd get roughly 2 hours of entertainment out of it.  I leave out the fact that I'd also buy a ticket for my wife, and maybe popcorn and drinks.

So if I spend $5 on a game from the iTunes store and get 4 hours of enjoyment out of it, then get sick of it, I still figure it was worth it.  Comparatively speaking, it was 4 times as good a deal as buying a movie ticket.

A 360 game would cost about $60, so I'd have to get at least 12 hours of entertainment out of it to meet the minimum standard.  Of course, meeting the minimum is like getting a D-, so I'd really prefer that it does better. :)

What is your standard?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »

Time spent has nothing to do with it.  When deciding if a game was worth my money, it's basically just how much I enjoyed playing the game in general / price of the game.

I spent $20 on a copy of Commando: Steel Disaster, and although the game is only about 2 hours long, I enjoyed the game immensely.  I'll probably play it over and over again, trying to find all the hidden crap and just having fun trying to not die amidst the storm of enemy bullets and tanks.  The game was fun, and it cost $10 less than most other DS games, so therefore, it was a good game and a worthwhile purchase.

Similarly, the Ace Attourney games I can clear in a handful of hours, but I enjoy them immensely, so they are easily worth the $30 I pay for them.

On the other side of that spectrum, I paid $40 for Final FAntasy 3 DS, and it was absolute crap.  Past the first few hours I hated every minute of the boring, boring GRINDAN gameplay.  I did not enjoy the game, and it was not worth even half the money I paid for it.  I got many hours of "gameplay" out of the game, but I didn't enjoy it so what's the point?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »

I got many hours of "gameplay" out of the game, but I didn't enjoy it so what's the point?

Well, that's part of what I'm saying - how much entertainment did I get out of it, not how long did I play it.  I've had the same issue you mention with some games - it wasn't fun at all, but I kept playing anyway for one reason or another.  (Generally it was because I was writing a review for a website.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »

Generally, the cheaper a game is, the more forgiving of it I am.  Therefore, all cheap games tend to be great deals. :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »

I think the first couple of paragraphs in my Trace Memory review say it all.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/tracememory/index.html

For me, it's more of a gut feeling.  So the cop out answer would be that it depends on the game.  Trace Memory was only 5-7 hours but was a stellar game and felt worthy of its $20 pricetag.  On the other hand, Jake Hunter was equally long but was a piss-poor game where the $20 pricetag felt like a ripoff. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:46:12 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »

It varies for me. For the most part, I don't know if it's a good deal until I'm done with the game and can take all of it in at look at it in hindsight. I mean, when ICO came out, I paid 50 bucks for that game, beat it in 7 hours, and still felt like it was a good deal since the experience was so damn good.

Other games like Oblivion I like, but due to their overhwelming size I know I'll never actually finish that game. Still, just based on what I did play and taking into account how many hours worth of the game there is, it's a good deal no matter how you look at it.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »

I'm always scoping for deals.  I don't think many games are worth what they are originally sold for on the shelves.  I spent $60 on Valkyria Chronicles and I think that was value for money.  But man...  Sixty bucks for an eight hour action game?  Prince of Persia can wait till it's 20 bucks.

I heart my 30 buck DS games.  Order of Ecclesia is worth twice that much, but getting it for half of what I WOULD pay on it rocks.

I got Dragoneer's Aria for ten bucks.  For ten bucks, that's a good deal, cause the game is only kinda alright.  Now, I'd never pay anything MORE than 10 bucks on it though.

Finding Suikoden and Suikoden II for six bucks each is pretty awesome when it happens though.  :P

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »

Time does matter. I would never buy Mirror's Edge for 60$, if it lasts 6 hours and there's no replay value.  But generally, after 12-15 hours it doesn't really matter anymore, but I like my games to last a bit longer than that, and for me it really is an incentive to buy it. Obviously it has to be good >_>

Although again I don't mind shorter games, if they have replay value. I'm definitely not that tempted to buy a new game if I'm done forever with it after a few days.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:58:51 PM »

Length doesn't mean anything to me. If a game is short but intense and fun, I'll have no problem paying for it. Arcade shooters are an excellent example of this (Gradius, etc.). Frequently, those games only take 20 minutes of play time to clear when they've been mastered, but they are difficult and intense. But, that being said, I don't even mind an easy short game. I thought Orcs and Elves was clever and compelling enough to be worth my money. In fact, I feel developers focus too much on length which is why games (especially RPGs) have so much filler in them. Back tracking, camping for rare items, trial and error, aimless wandering - fuck all those things.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »

In fact, I feel developers focus too much on length which is why games (especially RPGs) have so much filler in them. Back tracking, camping for rare items, trial and error, aimless wandering - fuck all those things.

Ugh, you can say that again.  I don't understand how so many people can enjoy these things enough that developers can constantly get away with shoving them into everything.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

I don't mind the trial and error or wandering, but fetch quests that make me go back to boring ass places or cause a ridiculous grind are always a nuisance.

Personally, I go game by game. ie: Persona 4 is a great game overall, and I love it. There is a grind from time to time, but it's well controlled and never so ridiculous that I need to actually break a sweat over it. Breath of Fire II on the other hand? Absurd amount of backtracking; so much so that it weakens the game immensely. I think the SNES BoF's are vastly overrated compared to their descendants.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »

I don't remember there being that much backtracking or grinding involved in BoF2?  There are a few times when you are stuck in one area for a while, and there's one -big- backtrack event about halfway through the game where you have to re-cross like two continents to get where you're supposed to go, but other than that I don't recall any major problems in that regard.

Trial and error can be good if it's implemented well, or for specific reason.  A lot of the time, though, it's just indicative of poor game design.  Same thing with any game that requires you to grind; it just means the devs were too lazy to properly level balance the game.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »

Getting a lapdance (which lasts 3 minutes) is amazing enterntainment and it cost $20.

By this standard, any game should do!

:)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »

Value for me has more to do with the quality of the experience rather than how much play time I get out of it. That being said, I'd rather buy a game at $60 that is 15 hours long over a game that is 8 hours long. Like Losfer said, an 8 hour game I'll play through once can wait until it drops $30 or $40.
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 12:30:20 AM »

I never thought of it in terms of movie ticket prices. I used to say that I wanted an hour per dollar, but it's not always that way. I don't mind paying more for a solid game that's a little shorter. I don't pay $60 for a 10 hour game typically though, no matter how good it's supposed to be.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: