Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330160 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  At what point does a game become a good deal to you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: At what point does a game become a good deal to you?  (Read 4526 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »

generally, free games hit the spot for me. but some games, even free, aren't worth my time.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57:03 AM »

That's definitely true - some free games are awesome, but with others, you really do get what you pay for.  There have been some free games I played and still felt like I got ripped off.

Of course, that raises another point for me.  There have been times with really cheap games when I've said to myself "well, this would have to be pretty bad for me to feel like I didn't get my money's worth."  For example, the iPod games I put $5 into.  A game would have to be pretty awful for me to feel like I didn't even get $5 of enjoyment out of it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »

I never thought of it in terms of movie ticket prices. I used to say that I wanted an hour per dollar, but it's not always that way. I don't mind paying more for a solid game that's a little shorter. I don't pay $60 for a 10 hour game typically though, no matter how good it's supposed to be.

I think that may have been more true in antiquity than it is now, if we use narrative-based games as a common theme. Portal is a pretty recent example of this rule not being true anymore. So's Mirror's Edge (I know, not as universally loved, but I thought it was great) and other games like that.

Still, I think games could do with more consistent pricing brackets, even for big-name titles. I always felt highly insulted paying full price for Dragon Warrior VII, when its final product couldn't hold a bloody candle to games from two generations ago. For the "oldschool" effect, Suikoden II was worlds better, and for narrative, a game like Xenogears was far more concise and meaningful. Not to say it was a cheap game to produce, but it certainly couldn't have been that expensive compared to its contemporaries.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: