Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 09:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329710 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?  (Read 9051 times)
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »

As much as I love RPG's, my fave games of all time are the point and click graphic adventures of the early/mid 90's. You know, your Full Throttles, your Looms, your King's Quest, etc. The genre is basically dead aside from the occasional one here and there, which is odd, since the Wii would lend itself awesomely to point and clicks. And yet we only have that Agatha Christie and Sam And Max for it (though there is one upcoming one that looks good). There's a few out for the DS too, but... they're just not the same. I miss the comedy of the old games. Anyway, Heavy Rain is supposedly like a spiritual successor to Indigo Prophecy on the PS2, which can mean nothing but good things. Don't know much about it yet aside from what I already said and the fact everything on your screen will be rendered in 3D.

Some gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akNbviQfddI
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:39:35 AM by Buddy » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »

Heavy Rain looks like it plays akin to that old Dragon's Lair game or the QTE's in ShenMue. 

Buddy, if you haven't already definitely play A Vampyre Story.  If my review's any indication, I really liked it.  So Blonde is supposed to be a good comedic adventure as well, but the UK version supposedly has serious install issues.  I tried the German demo but I didn't remember enough German to play it effectively.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:40:24 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »

Heavy Rain (and Indigo Prophecy) have quick time events much like Dragon's Lair, but they're honestly a small portion of the games.

I tried downloading A Vampyre Story demo a month or so ago, but couldn't get it to work.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

Heavy Rain makes me lol.

HELLOOOOO UNCANNY VALLEY.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »

I'm really looking forward to it since I loved Indigo Prophecy. I'm expecting a solid "game" for sure.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

I tried downloading A Vampyre Story demo a month or so ago, but couldn't get it to work.

There's something weird with the installer.  For some reason, when I checked the option other than nVidia, it worked fine.  Otherwise, I got an error message.  Other than that, the game worked fine for me.  There were a few bugs I had been warned about in the EU version that I didn't see in the US release.

Speaking of graphic adventures, I was recently turned onto these indie ones: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games.html I haven't had a chance to try any of them, though.  They have that old-school style.  The upcoming Emerald City one seems pretty neat.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:58:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »

This game looks like it would keep me on the edge of my seat, which I love.  I will definitely continue to keep my eye on it.   It's so hard to get my hopes up I feel like because I don't want to be completely disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be a great game.  I try not to hype things anymore so I'm pleasantly surprised when things are actually good.  For some reason I was getting a Silent Hill vibe/feel from the game, but I think maybe it has something to do with the graphics or environment.  Gameplay looks similar too. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »

I'm definitely excited because I loved Indigo Prophecy and everything I've heard about Heavy Rain seems to say "Better than Indigo Prophecy". That, and it gives me another reason to play the PS3.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »

I think the QTE's will be only part of the gameplay, if Fahrenheit is any indication.

Looking forward to this, as it's something a little different next to the endless barrage of shooters coming out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

I dunno. Heavy Rain does look interesting, but the uncanny valley of the characters keeps throwing me off. The developer's touting way too much about the realism of the graphics, which in the end may or may not hurt the actual narrative. Considering these guys made Indigo Prophecy and this is its spiritual successor, they definitely rely on narrative to carry them through. It's a good thing, mind you. I just don't want to be either freaked out or bored by the character designs through it all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »

the uncanny valley of the characters keeps throwing me off. 

Whut?

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »

Not quite realistic enough, and just too realistic that it's creepy.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

I haven't heard that term in 3 years or more.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

And that matters... why?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »

Not quite realistic enough, and just too realistic that it's creepy.

As long as there's an interesting story and decent controls - and not just QTEs - I'll get past the creepy graphics.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: