Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340962 Posts in 13936 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?  (Read 9313 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »

Wow, dialogue was completely different, I actually managed to make her talk this time.

And the fight lol, I got the crap beat out of me. It was pathetic. I'm not sure but I think she didn't have that bruise on her face the first time, maybe it was because it took me more time to enter the room.

"It's 50 bucks, I don't kiss and I don't do any weird shit" lol

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

I think you have to start the fight over if you lose. At least, that's what I heard from a journalist who played a different build of the game awhile back.

No man, the guy destroyed me and walked away. The first time I beat the crap out of him and he ran. The game just kept going like it was meant to be that way on both occasions.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

Oh, that's interesting. When you're probing people for information, you can only ask so many questions.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »

Excellent reviews across the board. 9/10 on both IGN and eurogamer. I was expecting mixed reviews but they've all been very good so far.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »

Excellent reviews across the board. 9/10 on both IGN and eurogamer. I was expecting mixed reviews but they've all been very good so far.

I was expecting mixed reviews as well. This might push me over the edge into buying it. I certainly don't want to pass up on an excellent, innovative game like this despite my "this games looks incredibly boring from trailers" vibe I had going on.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »

I was expecting mixed reviews as well. This might push me over the edge into buying it. I certainly don't want to pass up on an excellent, innovative game like this despite my "this games looks incredibly boring from trailers" vibe I had going on.
My thoughts exactly. I haven't really bene paying much attention to this game, as it initially looked kinda boring. If it really is great then I will have to play it some time or another. Either way, this is NOT a full price purchase. Too many other good games coming out.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »

Gave the demo a shot, and it bored the hell out of me.  Making me press a button or slide the analog stick every once in awhile doesn't immerse me any more now than it did when Shenmue was around.  I did the one QTE combat scene, but I did less watching of what was going on and more waiting for what the next button press would be.  The crime scene investigation bit was alright, but moving around by holding R2 and using the left stick to kind of aim your character is not intuitive.  At all.  Just let me move with the left stick, good grief.

Game was pretty though.  But my view of it is along the same lines of Shenmue; expensive interactive tech demo that I won't be buying.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

We got the sale copies just sitting here at work and I can't touch them. That sucks.  I've played through the demo a few times now and I was quite impressed. I'm going to buy this on the 23rd for sure.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 04:04:31 AM »

I played the demo on a friend's PS3 a few days ago and had a pretty good time with it. Of course, that was mostly due to the fact that it was buggy as all hell for me, which lead to a whole slew of lulz.  In the hotel scene, the girl's character model kept freaking out and running toward the wall and back again over and over at random intervals.  And considering the camera splits in two to show off different room angles, the one on the left was always empty because the girl kept spazzing out and running out of view.  The best part, however, was when I handed her a tissue.  She grabbed it, wiped her face, and then flew off toward the wall again, leaving the tissue floating above the bed as if a ghost were holding on to it.

Jayden's (?) was mostly bug free, but right as the demo was about to end, the game popped, the video cut out, and an ear-wrenching static howl started blaring out of the speakers. Woke up the whole house. =P

Demo was good, though. It'd totally be a buy for me if I had the system.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 06:44:43 AM »

I'm grabbing this after work today and I'm pretty jazzed about it. Anyone else buying?

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »

Yeah, I'm getting it as well. I have a test to study for though so I won't get as much time to play as I'd like.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:33:16 AM by Jet16 » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »

I had it preordered from Amazon so I should be getting it today (release date delivery rocks!).  Though I'm actually thinking of waiting until the weekend and marathoning it my first time through.  Too many other distractions right now.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 09:04:36 PM »

I decided to play for about an hour.  The atmosphere in this game is fantastic.  So far, I like the Voodoo cartoon show the guy watches with his son at the beginning.  I saw it and thought, "Man, this should be a legitimate series.  It's wacky and awesome."  I'm digging this game.  Yes, it's very ShenMue-esque but it seems like it has less of the "hurry up and wait" that ShenMue did.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

I played for about 3 hours and the game is incredible. The atmosphere is indeed fantastic, and I found myself almost completely drawn in if not for the occasional hiccups. The quality of voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag considering how integral it is to the game. It isn't terrible, but it isn't up to par with the rest of the game. I find it to be alright but this is the kind of game that could have really benefited from great performances.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »

Some of the acting did seem a bit flat, but I wonder if part of it is because we're used to "cartoony" voice acting.  You know, where it has to be over the top or melodramatic befitting cartoons/animated programming.  I wonder if a Yuri Lowenthal or a Laura Bailey might, in a situation/game like Heavy Rain, endanger themselves to sounding flat in an attempt to sound more realistic rather than the more over-the-top cartoony stuff they normally do. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: