Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:28:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334539 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Anyone looking forward to Heavy Rain?  (Read 9197 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:47 AM »

I played for about 2 hours this morning and it's as good as I'd hoped. The left stick stuck a couple of times and the game *hiccuped* once or twice but it didn't really bother me, I just noticed it.  Totally worth the purchase so far.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »

My wait-for-the-weekend plan seems to have fallen through ;)  Once I had the game in hand I wanted to try it out, and once I started playing I couldn't put it down.  It really does present a fantastic atmosphere.

I did notice more than a couple bugs, though.  At one point the sound just dropped out mid-sentence, and though it came back pretty soon I did find that to be pretty annoying.  And in the scene where you are supposed to be chasing after Jason at one point he just stood there are I caught up to him easily.  It actually took me a moment to realize that wasn't supposed to happen and the game wanted me to act like I was still chasing after him, even though he was right there...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »

Agreed about the sometimes flat, if not somewhat stoic voice acting.... but, interestingly enough, to say this game draws you in is an understatement... Sure some of the actions are mundane (making efforts for little things, like opening your car), but they really help throw you into a lead role of what feels like a movie you affect.

I was surprised.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »

Apparently, my copy is completely fucked. It keeps freezing up at a certain point and crashing. I've tried everything and nothing works. My only option now is to erase the game data and re-install but I doubt it's going to work.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »

Just finished the game. My copy never froze.

Game was interesting but it had a bit of graphical issues. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:16 AM »

Cool game.

Didn't think I would see a an old genre - story driven/point and click games resurrected though.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:28 PM »

As I mentioned in the Main games thread, this is my early GOTY frontrunner.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »

Cool game.

Didn't think I would see a an old genre - story driven/point and click games resurrected though.

That genre never really died, though.  At least I don't think so.  Sure there was a slow period and 1997's Grim Fandango was criminally overlooked, but we did have The Longest Journey, Dreamcatcher games released a bunch of European point-and-clicks, the late Hirameki released a bunch of Japanese visual novels, companies like Peach Princess have tons of localized hentai visual novels, the DS has been a hotbed for graphic adventures what with Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Touch Detective, Lux-Pain, etc.  And indie developers are getting friendly with the Ren'Py software to create visual novels.  Hanako Games' Fatal Hearts and Sakura River's Fading Hearts are both good visual novels made with Ren'Py.  And in terms of western style point-and-clicks, WadJetEye games developed some cool ones like Emerald City Confidential and Machinarium by Anamita Design is really good. 

And, to me, Heavy Rain is ShenMue done right.  And it's certainly a much needed evolution in the Choose Your Own Adventure style visual novels. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »

I guess I should have a little more clear by what I mean resurrected.

This game has got lots of attention,good reviews and sales 500,000+ in both North America and Europe.

I think people will see hey these games are pretty cool and maybe we'll see a few more good titles from this genre like HR on a console.

Some people think the game is something never been done before so in that sense the genre is also resurrected in that a bunch of new people now know games like this exist or can exist.

But its also made a lot of improvement in how these games are played you actually press a lot more buttons the QTE involved made it very involving.

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »

As I mentioned in the Main games thread, this is my early GOTY frontrunner.

I would agree. This and Darksiders for me so far are GOTY contenders.

Although I haven't yet played some other big games like Mass Effect 2.

Coming June 1. Alpha Protocol this game looks and seems like its going to be very awesome so I think that might end up a contender. It was so suppose to come out last October but was delayed for some polishing time and as well as it was a very loaded fall/winter like always.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: