Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 05:04:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Recommend Dincrest a book
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recommend Dincrest a book  (Read 4467 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

All that talk about Michael Moorcock's Elric in Dade's "fantasy sucks" thread has gotten me in the mood for an epic fantasy/swords and sorcery book once again.  However, I'm looking for something in the vein of Elric where the main character is a compelling anti-hero.  Something where perhaps the main character is an assassin in the shadows or something like that; not a goody-goody, blonde-haired, nobleman hero. 

I'd go back and read Elric but I don't have those old books any more (I think they got lost or disintegrated in one of my family's many moves) and the new DelRay editions at the bookstore have reportedly been altered from the original prose and reportedly had chunks of the story removed. 

So, anyone have a good epic/swords-and-sorcery novel with a killer anti-hero they can recommend to me?  I'd like something beefy and, obviously, written more for adults.  I vomit at the thought of drivel like Twilight or those comparable werewolf novels written by furvert females. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:48:58 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »

If you haven't read C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy, you've missed the best case of antihero since Moorcock put Elric on a page.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »

Ooooh good fucking suggestion, Danno, I might have to reread that trilogy again as soon as I'm done with the first Malazan book.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »

Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »

The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay. If you can get through even a half of that all-consuming adventure, I will applaud you sir, maybe even tickle your nuts. I enjoyed it greatly, but it's a big fucking story.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »

If you haven't read C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy, you've missed the best case of antihero since Moorcock put Elric on a page.

Best case of anti-hero since Elric?  I figure since you're an evil overlord/culinary assassin in the vein of Anthony Bourdain, you're credible in these matters.  I missed this trilogy because I've spent more years than I'd like to admit living under a rock of illiteracy.  Looks like I'll have to look for Coldfire at my local bookshop.  EDIT: Plus the fact that it's been validated multiple times by multiple people definitely has me interested.

Anyone here read the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks?  Perhaps not since they appear super recent.  I stumbled upon it by accident during a trip to the Intarwebnet slums looking for a good anti-hero fantasy.  Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora is said to be about a group of con artists.  Are any of those any good? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:58:53 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »

I really like The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. It's technically science fiction, but civilization has more or less devolved to a medieval level, and the main character is a member of the Guild of Torturers. It may be hard to get into though, I checked it out from the library years ago after seeing Tycho mention it in a PA news update, and didn't get far though what I read was intriguing enough to make me come back and blast through it later on.

Alternatively, I second DR's suggestion.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »

Since so many of you validated Coldfire, I picked up the first book Black Sun Rising.  I'll start it on Monday, since I'm finishing up a quickie book this weekend. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:04:41 AM by Dincrest » Logged

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE BY GEORGE R R MARTIN. That's it.

Dincrest, Twilight et al may be vomit-inducing drivel, but they could be worse if they were written by Garth Nix. They wouldn't be vampires, they'd be Greater Necromorphs of Khorne from beyond the 7,777th Dark Gate of Xel'lota'h and there'd be sex and fascist government atrocities on every page. Or they could be, y'know, Eragon....

Yeah, fantasy only ever seems to be good if it's for 12-year-olds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:57:22 PM by ZE GRAND MASTER » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »

Well, I'm about 10 chapters into Black Sun Rising (Coldfire part 1) and it's pretty badass. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: