Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331882 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Street Fighter IV: 360 vs. PS3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Street Fighter IV: 360 vs. PS3  (Read 18825 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 11:20:41 PM »

Honestly, no AI training mode is going to get you ready to play with the big boys.  Just like in most things, there really isn't any replacement for just going out and playing the damn game against people better than you and learning what they do.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »

The podcast also discussed that aspect. Merely playing people won't exactly show you how the moves are done. Back in the day, playing fighting games on arcades gave you a visual of how the moves were performed and what the pros did. You could look at their hands doing the motions directly. And yeah, that could still be done to this day, if you know people who are good at fighting games, then you can watch how they play at somebody's house, but I suspect a whole lot of people don't have that luxury and can only play online with good people. You can't get a true sense of exposure that way, in my view, anyhow.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »

Honestly, no AI training mode is going to get you ready to play with the big boys.  Just like in most things, there really isn't any replacement for just going out and playing the damn game against people better than you and learning what they do.

It could serve to push you into learning. Nothing's better than actual experience, no, but at the same time you're not going to learn a damn thing if you just jump in with a bunch of heavy weights and can't do shit. Most people would just give up on the game entirely, I know I would.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

I'm posting this because it's fucking awesome:

A Dhalsim player won the Japanese National Street Fighter 4 competition.

Youtube video of fight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHik2hEIrk&eurl 

Also found out about the achievements and unlockables for SF4.  Prepare to play a lot of street fighter 4 single player mode if you want to unlock every character =P

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »

Prepare to play a lot of street fighter 4 single player mode if you want to unlock every character =P

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I HATE having characters locked.  It is the single worst thing a fighting game developer can do.  When I Buy the game, I want to be able to play as who I want to as soon as the disc is in the tray.  I mean, I understand locking the bosses, like Seth, but God help them if Sakura or Gen are locked.

I mean, what's even the POINT of locking those characters?  Just to piss people off?  They're an integral part of the damn game!  This is why I've always hated Tekken and Soul Calibur as well, they lock out like half the damn cast and you have to spend time doing stupid bullshit just to unlock the characters.

RAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGE
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

Prepare to play a lot of street fighter 4 single player mode if you want to unlock every character =P
but God help them if Sakura or Gen are locked.

The bad news:  Both of those characters are locked.
The good news:  Both of those characters will be relatively easy to unlock.

Just be glad you didn't say Akuma, Gouken, or Seth; because those DO take a lot of work to unlock those characters.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »

Oh snap, actually working to unlock characters? Having to best the computer? HAVING TO TEST YOUR SKILL? What the fuck kind of mad world is this?! D: D: D:
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »

Um, that has nothing to do with it.  It's not a problem of -not being able- to do it, it's a problem of locking away the enjoyable part of the game and making me do something not as enjoyable to get to that part.  I just want to play as the characters I WANT to play as as soon as I buy the game.  I shouldn't be forced to play as characters I don't want to play as first.

It's like Tekken.  I'm a Baek player.  I only play Baek, and I only want to play as Baek.  But in Tekken 5, I had to beat the game with 3-4 other hoodlums that I don't care about and have no desire to play as just to get to the character I watned to use.  It's completely asinine.

This is one of the reasons I liked Arcana Heart so much.  All the characters and arcanas are unlocked as soon as you pop in the game.  For beating the arcade modes you get things like music tracks and artwork.  Those things are acceptible unlockables, as are boss characters.  Balanced playable characters are not.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.  It gives people something to do and aim for other than play online/against friends. 

I'm curious if the online mode will also lock down the characters you haven't unlocked yet?  It'll be interesting since Akuma, Gouken, and Seth both take the most to unlock
Seth = beat game with all non-locked characters [Ken, Ryu, Dhalsim, Blanka, etc]
Akuma = beat game with all unlockable characters [Sakura, Gen, SETH, Cammy, etc].. essentially every character but Akuma and Gouken
Gouken = beat the game with Akuma (every character but Gouken himself).

I wonder if the extra bosses will be extra difficult.  Like in HD remix, Akuma is pretty difficult to beat (much harder than any other fighter).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:05:32 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »

I don't see a problem so long as you don't ahve too much of the cast locked away. This seems to be encouraging you to learn how to play with each character anyway, and it's not like the game has a monstrously large rooster.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »

I just detest the idea of locking any characters that are not broken boss material on a moral level.  SF3:3S was perfect, the whole cast was available right from the get-go, you only had to unlock Gill who was monstrously overpowerful.

Also:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14211549/street-fighter-iv/videos/sf4_costumes_montage.html

UNNNNNNNNNNNNFFFFFFFF Sexy Sakura in Ryu's Gi yesyesyes

Also: I'm now completely sold on Zangeif because he has a Mike Hagger alt costume.  Mike Haggar is the shit.

Of course, these are all supposed to be DLC, which is FFFFFFFFFFFFF but dammit I will pay for it because I'm a huge fanboy like that.  There's also word you might get a few for free if you get the special edition.  Which, depending on the prices, might get me to actually buy the special edition version.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »

After seeing the price plummet on Fallout 3's LE I'm even less likely to bother with them (immediately) than before. The blow's softened for that by the pre-order bonuses, but geez.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »

Of course, these are all supposed to be DLC, which is FFFFFFFFFFFFF but dammit I will pay for it because I'm a huge fanboy like that.  There's also word you might get a few for free if you get the special edition.  Which, depending on the prices, might get me to actually buy the special edition version.

You do get some extra DLCs.  How much of them or what exactly, I don't know.

Eusis -  I'm sure it'll fall eventually, but since the Sf4 LE is only $20 more and it's not exactly limited... I can't imagine there's much of an aftermarket for it.

Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »

Ahh I really like those alternate costumes... Haha, dictator without a hat.  And that's soo something claw would do. Boxer's and Gen's are pretty sick too. 

But of course, Sakura has the best alt... but that's just a biased opinion. :p

I really don't mind unlocking characters, but I think that's because the evolution of my patience and tolerance due to the entire smash series. :/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: