Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319665 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona port for PSP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Persona port for PSP?  (Read 21490 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »

http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showJapanPage&Japan_ID=242

Hong Kong gaming magazine GameWave, in their latest issue (dated January 22nd), claims to have information on a very interesting upcoming Japanese PSP game: a port of the original PS1 Persona. While the information hasn't been confirmed just yet, GameWave was also the source to break the news about the releases of both Disgaea 2 and Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield for PSP. So, their track record for PSP info seems to be pretty decent, especially give that the magazine even goes so far as to give the product number for the PSP Persona release (ULJM05422).

So, what can we expect from the game? The extent of the port is not yet known, including if this will indeed be more of a straight port or may lean more towards the "remake" side of things. However, supposedly we will be getting some new characters, along with additional storyline elements and scenarios. The release is said to hit in Japan on April 30th, with a pricepoint of 5040 yen. (I'd give the dollar conversion, but really, the yen/dollar rate right now makes me too sad to even think about it.)

If you recall our interview with Persona 4 director Katsura Hashino (and if you don't, go read it here), he did say that Atlus had "various plans for the Persona series," so this indeed could be one of them. Hopefully Atlus of Japan will give some sort of official confirmation soon, and then we can wait for the day when Atlus USA hopefully announces a North American release.

Thanks to our own Nick Des Barres for the details on this news, and Aeana on NeoGAF for clarification on this being labeled a port.

Hmmm....certainly plausible.

Snow Queen quest inclusion FTW?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »

Oh, man, that would be _awesome_. Not just because it would a good remake of a reasonably decent game, but because it'll crater the eBay prices and I'll finally be able to buy a copy of the PS1 version. :)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

If we get it, I'd like it to be playable.

Graphics are shit, captain.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »

GREAT!!! I hope this remake gets some features of new persona games....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »

If we get it, I'd like it to be playable.

Graphics are shit, captain.

I wonder if they'd do a switch from 1st person to third person view in the dungeons, like they did with Maken Shao for the DC/PS2 versions.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »

That'd be pretty sweet.  I mean, they discarded the earlier SMT trappings with Persona 2 anyway.

I'd love to go back and play the game since I missed it the first time, but...  Man, that shit's almost unplayable now.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:21:14 PM »

I slogged through it last year, but it was kinda rough going, yeah.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »

There were many things wrong with the original game.... where to start? americanized portraits, slow movement, confusing map, the isometric camera followed with the way how you move with the pad.... anyway I hope they fix all those.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »

It's highly unlikely that Atlus USA would translate it again.  They've said time and time again that they'd rather focus on translating new things than spending money and time translating things they've already done before.

Maybe one of the fangroups will do an English patch of some kind for it, though.  That'd be cool.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »

So what? The release details are new, the fact that the game exists isn't. If you were to read the site attached to these boards, you would or could know that a Persona game has been listed for PlayStation Portable release for years. That is because it was one of the first RPGs announced for the platform years back.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »

So what? The release details are new, the fact that the game exists isn't. If you were to read the site attached to these boards, you would or could know that a Persona game has been listed for PlayStation Portable release for years. That is because it was one of the first RPGs announced for the platform years back.
Read the article, the OP quotes the whole thing... it's a rumor but these are new details and a release date.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »

It's highly unlikely that Atlus USA would translate it again.  They've said time and time again that they'd rather focus on translating new things than spending money and time translating things they've already done before.

Maybe one of the fangroups will do an English patch of some kind for it, though.  That'd be cool.

If it is a total remake, then it is considered a new game since the codebase will be new.  What they were referring to is translating games built on an old codebase like Persona 2 or Soul Hackers since Japanese companies tend to throw away the code shortly after the game is done, and rom hacking takes too long to be worth the money.  As for the PSP "ports" of Princess Crown and Devil Summoner, those were actually emulations of the Saturn ISOs, thus require ROM hacking to translate.

EDIT: Did some sniffing around on PSP codes, if that code is real then it is a new game and not a PS1 "port" from the playstation store(those are actually PS1 isos running of the PS1 emu in the PSP BIOS).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:44:50 PM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »

If they do translate the remake, I totally hope they Americanize everything again just because pissed off megaten fanboys are sillydorable :3

And by that I mean make the main characters Americanized as hell but actually keep the rest of the game really Japanese (if not even MORE Japanese). That would be all kinds of crazy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »

If it is a total remake, then it is considered a new game since the codebase will be new.  What they were referring to is translating games built on an old codebase like Persona 2 or Soul Hackers since Japanese companies tend to throw away the code shortly after the game is done, and rom hacking takes too long to be worth the money.  As for the PSP "ports" of Princess Crown and Devil Summoner, those were actually emulations of the Saturn ISOs, thus require ROM hacking to translate.

EDIT: Did some sniffing around on PSP codes, if that code is real then it is a new game and not a PS1 "port" from the playstation store(those are actually PS1 isos running of the PS1 emu in the PSP BIOS).

Well that's just it, Atlus Japan isn't a company known for doing very many full-on remakes.  If anything, this will be a port like Soul Hackers PSP.

There's a possiblity, I won't dispute that, but it's pretty damn slim.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »

Well that's just it, Atlus Japan isn't a company known for doing very many full-on remakes.  If anything, this will be a port like Soul Hackers PSP.

There's a possiblity, I won't dispute that, but it's pretty damn slim.

Didn't they just remake Nocturne for the Japanese edition of Devil Summoner, replacing the main character?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: