Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  White Knight Chronicles and Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: White Knight Chronicles and Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor  (Read 3642 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »

I feel like I missed a memo on both of these games.

I had no idea that Devil Survivor was an SRPG nor that WKC was meant to be a clone of Monster Hunter. The former game reminds me of TWEWY in terms of style, while the latter is basically a jazzed up FFXI / MHF / a dozen or so MMORPGs I've never played according to others. I foresee disappointment, though Devil Survivor is pretty awesome so far.

I'm pretty well into both (reviews will be posted soon if you all wish hard enough) so if there are any questions, shoot.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

How's the story in WKC? Is it as cliched as RG? What's the online like?

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:59 AM »

Devil Survivor is awesome so far?? :o

Details please!
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »

I have seen just some in-game videos of WWC but...is it me or the characters facial expresions are extremely limited? I mean, i'm not expecting photographic realism, but considering this is a current gen game the faces just look quite flat.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »

WKC's story is a cliche on top of another cliche; stock anime personalities on top of a knight-saves-the-princess adventure. Doesn't get anymore generic, even compared to RG, though there are two characters I find interesting. I've done some of the offline quests and they're alright. I'm waiting a bit to do online since there are no level restrictions.

Devil Survivor is kind of like Soul Hackers meets Final Fantasy Tactics. You move around on a grid, but when you engage an enemy, it shifts to a first person Devil Summoner style setting. Characters and demons both have their own skills, and you can set teams of characters with their demons for each battle. It's really fun, the style and artwork are great, and the music is surprisingly not shitty for a DS game.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:09:02 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 01:02:36 AM »

Devil Survivor is kind of like Soul Hackers meets Final Fantasy Tactics. You move around on a grid, but when you engage an enemy, it shifts to a first person Devil Summoner style setting. Characters and demons both have their own skills, and you can set teams of characters with their demons for each battle. It's really fun, the style and artwork are great, and the music is surprisingly not shitty for a DS game.
I've never played Soul Hackers sadly, but what kind of similarities does it have? How's the difficulty?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »

Shit! The only way I'm getting this game now is if it's dropped in price to a third off it's used asking price, or if it's being sold in a garage sale.

Were you seriously expecting more from Level 5 now?
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »

I liked Dark Cloud 2 a lot though.  I had some hopes that it'd be fun like that game.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

Level 5 seems to have more success when designing RPGs on quirky concepts, games like Dark Cloud and Inazuma Eleven rather than more traditional games like Rogue Galaxy and probably White Knight Story as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:06:36 PM by jj984jj » Logged
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »

While WKC's story is very cliche, it is also supposed to be quite enjoyable while using those cliches.  I'll have to wait to see what I think of the storyline itself.  Cliches can still be enjoyable if properly refined and the developments and characters are handled well.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: