Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329298 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Debunked secrets.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Debunked secrets.  (Read 7218 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »

This is a thread about our favorite rumors, codes, features, debugs, etc that make us laugh, cause /they never existed/.

Just post the most farfetched and most illogical nonsense you have ever heard about an RPG that was once rumored, postulated, or outright lied about.

My favorites?

Back in high school, I knew this one guy.  Not a bad guy, but the most introverted person I've ever met.  Your classic geek: fidgety, twitchy, stuttery, quick to anger if you got game info incorrect...  Anyway, one day he told me that he was playing FFVI the night before.  He then asked me to guess who he encountered while playing.  He looked at me with a straight face and simply said: "Sephiroth."

I don't think I ever talked to the guy again after that conversation.  :P

I'm also a fan of the "fact" that you can raise Aeris in FFVII, cause /her name can be rearranged to spell out rAise/.

I'm also fond of all the people who thought a cow level existed in the original Diablo.  :P

GO GO GO.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

I've seen way, way too many false FFVI "secrets",  so the stupifying amount of them that could be gathered together takes the cake for me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:53:59 PM by Eusis » Logged
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »

I swear someone told me he was wondering around in the moon's core in FF4 and fought a lawn mower.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »

Solar magic in Secret of Mana. I believed that one for SO long...

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »

Getting the other "Secret Character" in FFVII, the tonberry. Supposedly you had to fight him in the arena and wait until he got as close as possible to you before you beat him. I actually helped my friend out with this one, and suffice to say, it didn't work. :P
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »

I'm also a fan of the "fact" that you can raise Aeris in FFVII, cause /her name can be rearranged to spell out rAise/.

Could be Arise as well.  Man, that's almost as ridiculous as the Santa is evil thing because rearranging the letters in Santa yields Satan. 

I can't think of any RPG Mythbusters things right now, but the "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy in the biz and he says...." ones are often priceless.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »

ADOM had a bunch of bizarre ones, all of which were probably actually true even though nobody found them. Biskup >:((( One was like, something about a Red Rooster Inn, IIRC, and another involved a trident.

Various persitent rumors about thargoid ships in the Elite sequels.

Wasn't Solar Magic in Secret of Mana just refering to the game sometimes using different spell effects for certain spells, sometimes?

I like the rumors that end up being true the most, although there aren't as many of those. One that comes to mind is that weird moth enemy from FFIV.

OH. Pokegod rumors about the old pokemon versions. THOSE are funny because while they obviously weren't true at all about the old versions, the things people were calling Pokegods (Pikablue, Ho-oh) were basically people seeing Japanese screenshots from the sequels and getting confused. So kind-of-true stuff.

Also that bizarre Animal Crossing "camofrog is a rapist" rumor that I never understood at all.

Not RPGs, but Maxis had a fun tendency to intentional build things like this into their games. Especially SimCity 2K

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »

Not an RPG, but I heard somewhere that in Street Fighter II for the SNES, if you beat the game with Ryu on 7 difficulty without losing a fight you would unlock Ryu and Ken's master.

I could manage to get to Bison without losing..but that was it....damn I spent a lot of time on that.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:41:35 PM »

Wasn't Solar Magic in Secret of Mana just refering to the game sometimes using different spell effects for certain spells, sometimes?

No. THere's a different term for those "super-powered" level 8 spell animations.

There was a rumor that, since both characters only got 7 of the 8 elements (girl didn't get Dark, sprite didn't get Light), an empty slot filled with a special "Solar magic." the rumor was:

Code:
get all magics and weapons leveled to 8.99 for all characters. Then return to the mana tree, and a cutscene happens and you get a special element: Solar magic.

Not true, but was widely circulated throughout the mid and late 1990s.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »

Not an RPG, but I heard somewhere that in Street Fighter II for the SNES, if you beat the game with Ryu on 7 difficulty without losing a fight you would unlock Ryu and Ken's master.

I could manage to get to Bison without losing..but that was it....damn I spent a lot of time on that.

That rumor came from a translation error of Ryu's Shoryuken attack  in SF2. One of Ryu's win quotes says "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!" Later, EGM made an April Fool's joke out of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheng_Long

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »

In Suikoden II, I believe, the stairs at the shop that you *can* (apparently) go up at some point.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

Suikoden 1 has stairs that you can't go up.  In 2 you can get accidentally warped up there for a Blue Gate Crystal.
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »

When I imported FFT a friend of mine said he had a friend who had played the game, and told me I could hire drunks as a job class later in the game.

He also told me that the story was seperated into thirteen chapters, with the best fight in the game being against a group lv 75 ninjas fought over a Volcano in Chapter 11.

That was made of win because I actually believed it.

When I did a speed run in Final Fantasy IX and got excalibur II, the same guy told me that he didn't need it because he'd already collected excabliur III, which allowed him to see Garnet naked.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:29:30 PM »

Rumor that setting bombs to blow up all the gossip stones scored you a fight with shadow link outside the Water temple or something. I sent all those suckers to the moon- Nothing. I was young and naive... but darn was it fun. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 11:33:08 PM »

I can't believe nobody has said this: The Truck in Pokemon
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: