Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329965 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Debunked secrets.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Debunked secrets.  (Read 7264 times)
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »

I really wanted that Mew too.... :(

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
Aeolus
The Powerbomb of the Monado!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:30 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:15:29 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 04:50:38 AM »

The first time I was playing through FF7 someone told me if I went through the entire game without switching Cloud's weapon from the buster sword that you got an alternate ending, and after I was getting pwned forever I gave up on it and was depressed I wouldn't get the alternate ending.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »

Speaking of Secret of Mana there's also the ninth sword orb. Technically, you could get it by breaking the game using a solitary island save point then returning to Potos to fight the Mantis Ant.

But here's one for a non RPG. In the original Star Fox you could use the Black Hole to warp yourself directly into Venom's orbit. Has anyone else heard that one before?

I have because it's true, the third warp ring in the awesome black hole leads you right to Venom's orbit.
Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiyZnOGBK4

My favorite place was Out of This Dimension. That place was fun as heck. Best Boss and boss music, ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzfcIOquWk

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
blummer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

I will always remember all the Pokemon nonsense I used to hear back in 5th grade. People were making up "secret" Pokemon that you could get left and right. Anyone else remember that whole Missingno thing from way back then? There were all these kids in my class obsessed with "catching" it because they were like OH GOD ITS A RARE POKEMON when it was really just a gitch.

While Pokemon was the big Game Boy game back then, Ocarina of Time was the big N64 game. And while I don't really remember any specific secrets that drove me crazy when I played that game, I do recall there was so much stuff on the net back then about how you could get the Triforce if you did so-and-so many things over the course of your playthrough. All this because of shots taken from the beta version...
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »

Speaking of Secret of Mana there's also the ninth sword orb. Technically, you could get it by breaking the game using a solitary island save point then returning to Potos to fight the Mantis Ant.

But here's one for a non RPG. In the original Star Fox you could use the Black Hole to warp yourself directly into Venom's orbit. Has anyone else heard that one before?

I have because it's true, the third warp ring in the awesome black hole leads you right to Venom's orbit.
Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiyZnOGBK4

My favorite place was Out of This Dimension. That place was fun as heck. Best Boss and boss music, ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzfcIOquWk

Yeah I did both of those things for Star Fox. It's not false, homey.

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »

I came here to post the truck in Pokemon. That and Pikablu >_>
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »

I came here to post the truck in Pokemon. That and Pikablu >_>
hahahahah! I was about to post about Pikablu right now! I remember my friend would tell me that he was in the safari zone and what not. That was around 5th grade.. which is over 10 years ago.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »

Again, not RPG related... but everyone remember all of the "jump the pole" rumors from Super Mario 1? God, I heard so many of those things...

"If you jump the pole, you can walk to the last level"

"If you jump the pole, you get infinite lives"

"If you jump the pole, you die".

Funny thing is, you CAN'T JUMP THE POLE. I remember friends and I trying for hours to do that. What we finally found is that if you actually went above the pole, it simply stopped you in the air, just as if you had hit the pole, and you just get 5000 pts.

Still, it was a pretty cool idea. I especially like it because it's based on one of those things that programmers don't account for.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »

Apparently there's some kind of bug that lets you jump over the pole, I think you had to do it in one of the Kaizo Mario mods.  Although that could have been just something to do with the emulator.  Or I'm thinking of Kaizo Mario World.

I forget.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »

Apparently there's some kind of bug that lets you jump over the pole, I think you had to do it in one of the Kaizo Mario mods.  Although that could have been just something to do with the emulator.  Or I'm thinking of Kaizo Mario World.

I forget.

That was a Kazio Mario Mod, I remember seeing it. You had to jump the pole or face death by some bullet thing hitting you. That game was pretty fun, at the same time unfair. haha

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »

My favorite videogame rumor as of late was that Bob's Game was a real project.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »

Ah..the jumping the pole in Mario.
I was told it could only be done in world 3...where there are those moving platforms that move back and forth.

Funny in mario ost levels, you could actually jump over the pole and go to a warp zone.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

While Pokemon was the big Game Boy game back then, Ocarina of Time was the big N64 game. And while I don't really remember any specific secrets that drove me crazy when I played that game, I do recall there was so much stuff on the net back then about how you could get the Triforce if you did so-and-so many things over the course of your playthrough. All this because of shots taken from the beta version...

Yup. I totally bought into the obtaining the Triforce thing. I don't remember where I heard it, but I do remember hearing that if you collected every upgrade, killed every gold skulltula, found every secret hole, and opened every treasure chest in the game, you'd get the Triforce. Well...then sometime afterward there was a group of hackers who hacked the ROM and said there was no way of obtaining the Triforce, and then some guy who'd worked on the localization at NoA said the same thing. The sad thing, there are people who are still looking!

There was also that huge hoax someone sent to htloz.com with "screenshots" they'd made in either Photoshop or a 3D image editor. I fell for that one too until that person admitted they'd been leading us all on. My sixteen year old heart felt so betrayed!

For whatever reason, I never bought into any of those things until Ocarina of Time; not even the jumping over the flag pole in SMB. Hell, I didn't even believe you could rob lives from a turtle until I actually saw it at a friend's house.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »

I forget.

That was a Kazio Mario Mod, I remember seeing it. You had to jump the pole or face death by some bullet thing hitting you. That game was pretty fun, at the same time unfair. haha

Well, remember that Kaizo Mario mods are based around actual bugs and glitches in the Mario games, so if you -have- to do it in one of the Kaizo stages you most likely can do it somewhere in one of the regular stages of the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: