Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332847 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Game franchise
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Game franchise  (Read 8545 times)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »

I bought an Xbox to play Shenmue II. I'm not proud of that.

How was it? I have the Original for the Dreamcast, but no Dreamcast.... sadness indeed.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:01 AM »

That said, it is my opinion that every respectable gamer should own a DS.

QFT.

I bought my DS mainly to play the DQ remakes, but was pleasantly surprised by the amount of quality games on the system. Besides that, being able to play the GBA titles is always a nice addition. When I bought the PS2 I just had (the first) Kingdom Hearts and DQ8 in mind. Though I'm not much a fan of KH anymore, I'm still glad I didn't pass the PS2 like I did with its predecessor; the PS2 is the system that got me back to the console world.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 12:53:39 AM »

I bought an Xbox to play Shenmue II. I'm not proud of that.

How was it? I have the Original for the Dreamcast, but no Dreamcast.... sadness indeed.

It's a great game. I'm happy to have played it, but after that, my Xbox gathered multiple layers of dust. I should've imported the UK version for Dreamcast, meh.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »

Eh. I've played my girlfriend's from time to time, and I've liked a few of the games I've played on it. But for the most part, the DS's library does nothing for me. I can only think of a handful of games I really want to play on it.

I expected Oblivion to single-handedly make the 360 worth my money.

Boy, was I fucking wrong. It was the most disappointing game not called Grandia III I'd ever played...until I played Mass Effect. :(

I know I'm way in the minority on this, but my experience as a 360 owner - aside from finally getting to play Rez and Ikaruga - was a total letdown.

Oblivion was the reason I bought my 360, and it was totally worth it. Loved the game to death. Then I got Mass Effect, and it's still my favorite RPG so far this console generation. My, how opinions can differentiate so much.

Honestly, none of the RPGs I've played on my 360 (Oblivion, Mass Effect, Dark Messiah of M&M & Infinte Undiscovery) have done anything for me. It's really been thanks to shooters and XBLA that I've enjoyed the console.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »

Whatever console the next Shin Megami Tensei game is on will probably prompt me to buy that console, if I don't already have it.
Quoted for emphasis.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 01:24:18 AM »

As an addendum to my previous statement in this thread, a new -main series- SMT game appearing on the PS3 would count as exactly 5 games towards my required total of 10.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »

On that note, I will be purchasing a DSi solely for those Art Style games on DSiWare.

And I guess it's also worth mentioning that Morrowind is the game that got me into PC gaming, even though the PC I played it on wasn't really up to that task.
uwsguy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 02:20:27 AM »

I usually buy a console for one or two games knowing that there are other games on the console that I would probably like as well. Example: I bought a PS3 for Disgaea 3 and MGS4 but I knew I would probably like Resistance, uncharted etc.

That said I bought Oblivion six months before I bought the console to run it on, just because I put so many hours into Morrowind I knew that I would one day have to play it.

There are also games, that having now played them, I would have gone back and specifically bought consoles for :)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 02:40:56 AM »

My rule of thumb is that I'll buy a console when it has 10 games on it I want to play.  Buying a $4-500 system for one game is just silly, if you ask me.

That's my rule too, but I fail at sticking to it.

1998: That new Zelda game looks great! And we'll also be getting Mother 64 and Tactics Ogre! And more! This is going to be great! I'll buy a N64! :D

In the end Nintendo killed mother and Europe didn't get Tactics Ogre. Hybrid Heaven was okayish, I guess. Mystical Ninja was crudely rendered awesomeness, of course. Pokémon Stadion was fun for a while and I had a lot of fun with Zelda... but... it's a good thing the N64 never was an expensive console.

2008: Fire Emblem! I must buy a Wii!

Games I bought for it myself: Fire Emblem: RD, Shining Force, Shining Force II and Tetris Party. Yes 3 out of 4 games were paid with Wii points. Most of the other things I played on it were games I had to review.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »

I'm gonna get an iPhone when MGS4 is ported to it.

This is the SECOND TIME Apple has crushed Sony.  First with MP3 players, now with games machines.

The iPhone is just about the best platform I can think of.  The controls on these games...  Near perfect.

I love you SO much Richard. SO much.

Seriously, I am crying from laughing so hard. :D

What can I say, I aim to please.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »

A&D reminded me greatly of Monty Python.

Though I only played the game because of the humor, the gameplay was horrid repetitive and unfair at times.

Hahah - cool - another person who played that game!  I think I felt about the same way as you.  Any game that has a shark gun comes out of the starting gate with a pretty good score from me, but the crazy guns and humor were the high points to balance out some of the frustrating gameplay bits.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »

A&D reminded me greatly of Monty Python.

Though I only played the game because of the humor, the gameplay was horrid repetitive and unfair at times.

Hahah - cool - another person who played that game!  I think I felt about the same way as you.  Any game that has a shark gun comes out of the starting gate with a pretty good score from me, but the crazy guns and humor were the high points to balance out some of the frustrating gameplay bits.

Haha! I remember that gun, I loved using that gun and watching people get mauled to death by Land Sharks. My favorite gadget was the Topsy-Turvy Bomb, which didn't really help much, but sure as heck fun to watch the world turn upside down and everyone fall down(up?) and crash right back down.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »

This.

It used to be slightly debatable as to whether or not PSP or DS was better for RPG gamers. But so much crap has recently come out here in Japan that if developers get to localizing, the west is going to be swamped in very decent DS RPG's. Fucking Dragon Quest V, VI and IX, Suikoden Tierkreis, Valkyrie Profile, Devil Survivor, Fire Emblem, Phantasy Star Zero, Tales of Hearts and others I can't even remember. There's also the extensive library of GBA titles. What's PSP got to brag about aside from the Star Ocean remakes and fricking Dissidia?

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »

Are there any game fans out there who will buy a console just to play one particular game; for example one of the FF franchise?

Depends on the console's price and library, but usually if a system isn't a complete failure (and even then) there'll be a handful of games I'll want to play. With that said the surge of multiplatform games may be more damning here, if I forsake the 360 for the PS3 or vice versa there will still be a lot of games I want to play. However, if I got both then I'd simply get multiplatform games on whichever system had the higher quality release and, in the case of multiplayer games, more people I want to play with. This has traditionally meant the 360, but then we also factor in DLC and the few games I would've otherwise wanted on the PS3 (notably GTAIV and Fallout 3) I'd just get on the 360 anyway since I wouldn't want to miss the chance of getting DLC in case it was something I genuinely cared about. FFXIII will probably be the only one I'll get on PS3 over 360 that isn't part of some amazing deal. (Edit: I forgot about Bionic Commando Rearmed, but if that had online co-op and the 360 D-Pad not been so atrocious I may've gotten it there anyway.)

Anyways, just keep your systems until what you really want is out. I can all but guarantee the PS3 will be cheaper when FFXIII is out, and if you really want to play Fable then you can just get a 360 at that time instead. Keep in mind DQX will be on the Wii, so if you want that enough you should keep it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:45:15 PM by Eusis » Logged
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 10:42:03 PM »

The only time a game sold a console for me was with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the Wii. I honestly can't say the same for any other consoles, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: