Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318973 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Game franchise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Game franchise  (Read 8280 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »

Are there any game fans out there who will buy a console just to play one particular game; for example one of the FF franchise?

What is the platform that RPgamers like best? I ask this because I have a Wii and DS but am tempted to trade the Wii in for a PS3 so that I can play Fable, Elder Scrolls or the new FF's.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

Tales of series for me....until September.

I bought a PS3 just to play TotA (yes, I know TotA is a PS2 game, but in 2007, I thought the PS2 was dead after P3. Plus, I already wanted a PS3 for FFXIII and WKC.)

Then in September, I bought a 360 just for Tales of Vesperia. I thought ToV was a B game, mainly because I hated the story and half the cast.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

am tempted to trade the Wii in for a PS3 so that I can play Fable, Elder Scrolls or the new FF's.

Hey good luck playing Fable on a PS3...let me know how that goes for you... :P

I would never ever ever buy a console just to follow one series or franchise. In my younger years, I would do that for the FF series. But now I don't really worry about it. Especially since they're going *multiplatform* on FFXIII.

That said, it is my opinion that every respectable gamer should own a DS.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »

Whatever console the next Shin Megami Tensei game is on will probably prompt me to buy that console, if I don't already have it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »

I'm gonna get an iPhone when MGS4 is ported to it.

This is the SECOND TIME Apple has crushed Sony.  First with MP3 players, now with games machines.

The iPhone is just about the best platform I can think of.  The controls on these games...  Near perfect.

HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »

Tales of series for me....until September.

I bought a PS3 just to play TotA (yes, I know TotA is a PS2 game, but in 2007, I thought the PS2 was dead after P3. Plus, I already wanted a PS3 for FFXIII and WKC.)

Then in September, I bought a 360 just for Tales of Vesperia. I thought ToV was a B game, mainly because I hated the story and half the cast.

I'm playing ToV right now. I'm liking it a lot better than the other Team Symphonia games if only for the polish in the visuals and the additions to the combat. The characters themselves look creepy though due to a combination of extremely crisp visuals and the huge eyes. I think this game equals SO4 in that regard.

Anyway, I was dead set on buying a PS3 for FFXIII, but then...

Other than that it was going to be White Knight Chronicles, after reading import reviews and impressions though, it seems like a mixed bag.

I would probably follow wherever SMT4 goes though. Or Dragon Quest.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:41:25 PM »

I bought a Gamecube for the Zelda series, I certainly wouldn't have bothered otherwise. But seeing as the GC did so poorly in Europe it was very cheap anyway, so getting one wasn't exactly a difficult decision.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »

I bought a Gamecube for the Zelda series, I certainly wouldn't have bothered otherwise. But seeing as the GC did so poorly in Europe it was very cheap anyway, so getting one wasn't exactly a difficult decision.

Ditto, I got a GC cause of the LoZ:OoT port bonus disc for LoZ:WW. I'm also reeeeaaaallllly tempted to get a PSP for the SO ports.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »

I'm gonna get an iPhone when MGS4 is ported to it.

This is the SECOND TIME Apple has crushed Sony.  First with MP3 players, now with games machines.

The iPhone is just about the best platform I can think of.  The controls on these games...  Near perfect.

I love you SO much Richard. SO much.

Seriously, I am crying from laughing so hard. :D
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »

I expected Oblivion to single-handedly make the 360 worth my money.

Boy, was I fucking wrong. It was the most disappointing game not called Grandia III I'd ever played...until I played Mass Effect. :(

I know I'm way in the minority on this, but my experience as a 360 owner - aside from finally getting to play Rez and Ikaruga - was a total letdown.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »

My rule of thumb is that I'll buy a console when it has 10 games on it I want to play.  Buying a $4-500 system for one game is just silly, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:12:13 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

I expected Oblivion to single-handedly make the 360 worth my money.

Boy, was I fucking wrong. It was the most disappointing game not called Grandia III I'd ever played...until I played Mass Effect. :(

I know I'm way in the minority on this, but my experience as a 360 owner - aside from finally getting to play Rez and Ikaruga - was a total letdown.

Oblivion was the reason I bought my 360, and it was totally worth it. Loved the game to death. Then I got Mass Effect, and it's still my favorite RPG so far this console generation. My, how opinions can differentiate so much.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »

I bought an Xbox for Halo and Armed and Dangerous. Armed and Dangerous was so worth the buy! I'm a fan of British humor, so the game won me over quick. A&D reminded me greatly of Monty Python.

Though I only played the game because of the humor, the gameplay was horrid repetitive and unfair at times.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:15 PM »

I bought my PS3 for SOCOM.  Although... I've only touched it once since buying it when it came out a month or two ago.

:/

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »

I bought an Xbox to play Shenmue II. I'm not proud of that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: