Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 12:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329326 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PSP questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PSP questions  (Read 3221 times)
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »

I'm fixing to buy a PSP finally, and I was wondering about a few things:

I've heard the PSP's latest model can be played on standard TVs now. Does it come with the necessary cables/hookups, or are those a seperate purchase?

I'm not tech-savvy in the least, so I gotta ask, is the 1GB memory stick a good value, as a part of the bundle? I'm kinda interested in Ratchet & Clank but its not a must buy for me. So, is the bundle recommended?

That's about it, any help is much appreciated!

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »

I bought the Daxter PSP bundle way back when and it was a good value.  I got the PSP, Daxter, a memory card (usu. sold separately), a Family Guy UMD.  The 1 GB memory card does hold a good amount of stuff.  Game saves don't take up a lot of room; it's games themselves and other downloadable content from the PSN store that take up room. 

The TV hookup cables are sold separately. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »

I've bought three PSPs now - one for my wife, one for me, and then a new one for me when the slims came out (I sold my old one - thanks again, Losfer - hope you've enjoyed it!).  Every time, I bought a bundle and been happy I did.  The price is usually very worth it if you're even kind of interested in the game, and the 1 gig memory stick is nice, too.  It lets you carry around demos or even full games (you can buy those from the PSN store now), or music, or videos, or whatever.  You don't absolutely have to have it if you don't plan to do any of that, but it's handy.

As far as the cables go, there are two kinds, both sold separately, and the distinction is important.  As you may know, the PSP has gone through three hardware iterations now, known as the PSP 1000, 2000, and 3000.  The 3000 just came to the US recently.  I assume any PSP you buy now is that one, but check before you buy, especially if this cable stuff is important to you!

On the PSP 2000:
The composite cables (that's yellow, white, red) will only play videos.
The component cables (that's red, blue, green, white, red) will play both videos and games.

On the PSP 3000:
Both cables will play everything.

Oh, and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters is a great game.  Played it just recently and loved it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »

Thanks you two, you've cleared up everything for me!

The tv hookups are pretty important to me, I'm not really the target audience for handheld gaming, don't have any long commutes to work, don't go on road trips at all, I just wanna play any great games on the system. I never even bought a GBA, just had a GBA player for my GC.

Though I have a PS3, I'm not sure I'll be downloading much from the PSN. Then 1GB mem stick'll be sufficient for now, so the PSP-3000 bundle it is! Thanks again. 8D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:01:47 PM by mizuki_no_beatdown » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »

Though I have a PS3, I'm not sure I'll be downloading much from the PSN. Then 1GB mem stick'll be sufficient for now, so the PSP-3000 bundle it is! Thanks again. 8D

Yeah, the 1 gig will last you but bigger memory solutions are fairly cheap now, I got an 8 gig stick for about 35 bucks. With that said you can still store a game or two on the 3000 and not have to worry about saves as even the original 32 megabyte stick was more than enough for that. If you wait you can probably get that for even cheaper when stuff you really want to buy and download is out.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:43:19 AM »

If you want RPG recommendations, the folks here on the forums have already made a number of threads on that subject - check them out and I think you'll get all the answers you'd ever need and then some.

If you want non-RPG recommendations, drop me a line.  I love my PSP, and would be happy to point you toward some of the great stuff that's out there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:58:28 AM »

Yeah, the 1 gig will last you but bigger memory solutions are fairly cheap now, I got an 8 gig stick for about 35 bucks. With that said you can still store a game or two on the 3000 and not have to worry about saves as even the original 32 megabyte stick was more than enough for that. If you wait you can probably get that for even cheaper when stuff you really want to buy and download is out.
That's what I'm gonna do. After I've had my PSP a bit I'll really know if I need more memory, then I'll look for somethin like the deal you got. 

Going buy it tomorrow, and I think I'll be picking up SO1 instead of 2, in light of all the negative things I've heard about the translation. I've still got my PS1 copy of SO2 anyway.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »

I simply love my Limited Edition Crisis Core PSP!!

If you haven't played it on the PS1 already, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is a must-have.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: