Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334806 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime Recommendations for me?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Anime Recommendations for me?  (Read 7104 times)
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »

Now, I know I could simply flip through the journal to find something that's well liked, et cetera, but I'm looking for something more confined in content.

I've just gone through a pretty hard break-up after two years, and it's my FIRST break-up so I can't say I've handled it particularly well. So, I'm looking for something a little lighter on the romance aspects. Not that there can't be romance. In specific I'm looking for something more action-y, to keep me occupied during my week off.

I'm usually a fan of mecha anime (I know, broad horizons, right?) but I'm not constrained to any one genre--I just want something to entertain and maybe make me think a little.

I'm not hugely experienced in the anime world, but as to what I have seen and liked, as a point of reference...:

• Evangelion
  • Trigun
  • Gundam Wing
  • Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny (This was OKAY...)
  • RahXephon
  • Escaflowne
  • Code Geass (Just finished this... Loved it.)
  • Gundam 00
  • Fullmetal Alchemist

I feel there may be more, but they've slipped my mind for the time being.

So, RPGFaners, what would you recommend?
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:38:10 PM »

Just watch Gintama.  It's nothing like anything on that there list of yours.  But it is funny ass.  I watch it whenever I need a laugh. 

Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

I did actually start watching Gintama, about a year back. Only got maybe ten episodes in before I got caught up in something else, but I did enjoy immensely what I saw. I believe I was streaming it on a site called Veoh or something?

Anyway, yes, excellent suggestion. I may very well do that.

Any others?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »

Last Exile

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »

I just watched an anime again for the first time in ages; "Detroit Metal City". It's hilarious imo, and if you are a death-metal fan you'd probably like it (I'm not a metal fan at all yet I still found it hilarious).

http://animenix.com/detroit-metal-city-episode-1/

It's basically about a nice guy who likes Swedish pop music, yet is secretly the lead singer of a death metal band by night, which he isn't proud of. Profanities fly everywhere and are so obscure it's funny.

P.S. Apparently they're making a live-action movie of it, and Gene Simmons is cameoing in it.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »

Comedy/Romance are my forte, but I'll offer you some funny stuff. Here's some anime with very vague quick-spitted descriptions.

1. Yakitate!! Japan - It's an anime about Bread. Really, you can't get any more descriptive about that other than the fact the judge's face every time he tries the Main character's bread is ridiculous.

2. Nodame Cantabile - Personal favorite of mine. It's anime about music, where they focus on the Main character who wishes to be a conductor but his ability should have him in France. It's a Comedy, there is signs of romance but it's not focused on here.

3. Minami ke - 3 sisters that live together. Typical mature older sister, very serious younger sister and the flamboyant middle sister. I love this anime because it's just silly.

4. Hayate combat butler - Anime about a 16 year kid who is sold to "nice people" so that his parents could rid their gambling debt. A girl pays off the "nice people" and the kid works for the girl as her butler.

5. Chocolate Underground - very short episodes about an anime where Chocolate is deemed illegal by the government. Very short, something you could kill in 1 day's time.

6. Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei - A teacher who wishes he never existed and wants to die, but never falls through with it. It's pretty funny and I don't think the episoded are linked much at all.

7. Azu-manga daioh(?) - Anime of a group of high school girls's lives. Very, very random.

That's it for now, if you would like more... I can write you a book. I've cleared anime series in a 24 hour period time (12-13 episodes), so my anime count is off the chart. Yes it's an addiction, but I also use it for good... like homework and exercise. *Scratches neck fervently*

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 01:40:28 AM »

I just watched an anime again for the first time in ages; "Detroit Metal City". It's hilarious imo, and if you are a death-metal fan you'd probably like it (I'm not a metal fan at all yet I still found it hilarious).

http://animenix.com/detroit-metal-city-episode-1/

It's basically about a nice guy who likes Swedish pop music, yet is secretly the lead singer of a death metal band by night, which he isn't proud of. Profanities fly everywhere and are so obscure it's funny.

P.S. Apparently they're making a live-action movie of it, and Gene Simmons is cameoing in it.

I am a fan of death metal and that was hilarious.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

I don't see anyone suggesting Nadesico.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

Welcome to the NHK was another good one.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Reives- that Detroit Metal City was a fantastic find.  Heh, I relate to the guy.  I'm a bassist and I played in a Belle and Sebastien type band, but it was a far cry from my metal, funk, and hip-hop tastes.  And go figure, my favorite kind of music to listen to is metal (particularly progressive metal), but the idea of playing in a metal band just doesn't excite me.  I really want to play in a live-instrument funk/hip-hop band.  Most fun I ever had was playing impromptu with a hip-hop artist.

R-S: is mecha anime the only kind you want recommendations of?  I'm not much of a mecha fan, but as far as action series go, I love Noir.  It's my personal favorite anime.  Mireille is hot, the action is fast, and Yuki Kajiura's music is killer. 

I don't know much about Azumanga Daioh, but in a similar vein I <3 Lucky Star.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:59:02 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »

It ain't mecha, but i'd like to recommend Bleach.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »

No, no, mecha isn't my only leaning, taste-wise. Just tends to be what I know best haha. Anything is fair game, really, (particularly things with actiony leanings, whether character or plot driven) and I will be looking into a few of the things mentioned. At the moment I'm seriously considering watching Cowboy Bebop, too, since I've heard endless good things and never watched it.

As for Last Exile, I've seen the first episode and it didn't do much for me, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and any more you might have bring them on! I really appreciate it, and it will be nice to look back on this to create myself a bit of a library. :)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

No, no, mecha isn't my only leaning, taste-wise. Just tends to be what I know best haha. Anything is fair game, really, (particularly things with actiony leanings, whether character or plot driven) and I will be looking into a few of the things mentioned. At the moment I'm seriously considering watching Cowboy Bebop, too, since I've heard endless good things and never watched it.

As for Last Exile, I've seen the first episode and it didn't do much for me, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and any more you might have bring them on! I really appreciate it, and it will be nice to look back on this to create myself a bit of a library. :)

If you like Cowboy Bebop, check into "Baccano!".

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »

Zeta Gundam, The Twelve Kingdoms, Tytania, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Gunbuster all come highly recommended.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »

Doesn't fall into what you're looking for but I recommend Monster.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: