Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331786 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Blood Bowl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl  (Read 1830 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »

Found out about this game today and watched a trailer.  Looks interesting, and maybe even within the realm of what we'd cover here... but I'm not sure.  Will have to do more research.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/

Turn-based (or realtime) football with dwarves and lizardmen?  Wild.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:51:43 AM »

Awesome. This may be the first football game I seriously get into.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »

Wasn't there a Monster League Football game on the Genesis or something back in the day? 

Only American football video game I've ever had fun with was Tecmo Bowl on the NES.  It was simple and fun.  I didn't have to do a reverse double axel lutz through seven flaming hoops just to pass the ball. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »

Yeah - Mutant League Football (and a sequel, Mutant League Hockey).  In a similar (but non-RPG) vein, there was "Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball," and of course the seminal "Arch Rivals."

Apparently, there was a DOS version of Blood Bowl (which started as a board game) developed back in '95.  Now I have to find it. :D

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the Blood Bowl board game (now in it's 5th edition) and am totally psyched for this game. Since, essentially, the game will be a direct interpretation of the latest edition of the board game, I already have a good sense of how it plays - at least in turn based mode. What really sells Blood Bowl to me (other than it's cool theme) is the blend of goal oriented team tactics (getting a ball to the end zone) and how it is affected by the random elements (there are lots of dice to be rolled). In any one game, there are dozens of good plays more than half of which are thwarted by horrible luck. That's what makes the game great, having to come up with back up plans to your back up plans because every time the ball gets kicked, everything immediately goes wrong.

League play, where characters can gain abilities and outrageous skills, as well as be permanently killed, adds a whole other layer of depth.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: