Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 02:59:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340914 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  a pet peve of mine in srpg's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: a pet peve of mine in srpg's  (Read 6584 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »

overkilled by a certain and sometimes insane amount and tends to be a fairly complicated process.

?

Overkiling is easy.  If you need a high number, you either abuse the enemy's weakness or combo it.  There's very little reason for not capturing everything on the map unless you'er trying to meet the secret bosses or you're -just- starting out your first game.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »

Plenty of non-RPG strategy games with good AI that don't play like a puzzle game. If we want to focus on squad-level, fairly-close-to-SRPG games, JA2 and X-Com have good AI and don't play like puzzle games. If you want a realistic example and all, I mean.
I don't know if I'd agree that X-Com had particularly good AI. Most of X-Com's challenge came from the insane hide-and-seek-style gameplay - the randomly generated maps tended to be a little too crowded, IMHO. JA2, OTOH, I'd agree with.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 04:17:31 PM »

Most of X-Com's challenge came from the insane hide-and-seek-style gameplay

Yes, and the enemy AI is very geared towards that and quite good at it. They know how to pop out of hiding, cap a guy, and get cover again, or hide out in a house/crashed ship and ambush you. They don't TEND to seek you out, but that'd put them at a disadvantage.

Also, JA2 has a fundamental difference from XCom in that dudes, good or bad, aren't nearly as fragile as in XCom.

The randomly generated maps tended to be a little too crowded

I don't know if I'd agree with this in regards to UFO Defense. Most of the maps there were fairly open. TFTD though, definitely. Cruise ships, for instance. Also sunken ships replacing houses on, say, the farm maps. sunken ships were far less navigable.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:24:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:52 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:28:07 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »

Super Robot Taisen: OG2 has good AI, but that also has a lot to do with how ludicrously powerful most enemy mechs/pilots are, since just slamming headfirst into your army usually results in a win for them.  The first one has more balanced enemy units, but the AI is also far more stupid.

So I mean, it's a process of give and take.  You're never going to find a game where the enemy has both good units and good AI, because the game would be nothing more than completely frustrating and in many cases, completely impossible to win without cheating/massive, massive amounts of grinding.  And that's just bad game design, in the end.

the thing about super robot wars is that the AI chooses targets different than most srpg AI's. this is partly due to spirit commands wich makes reals almost untoucable by grunts. so i noticed starting with W the AI started attacking units it actually had a good chance to hit such as voltron. the exception to this is boss type units that spam strike every turn then wipe 3 of your reals at once with a chain attack. freakin Gaulin =P

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »

A pet peeve of my own in strategy RPGs is the potential to piss away an eternity on a losing battle with no progress retained, and having to repeat that crap over and over. Those kinds of games seriously need continue systems of some sort.

Boomerang Flash Z
Ragu O' Ragula Slayer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 09:04:02 PM »

I hate it when I plan out multiple strategies for a certain boss fight and I keep losing, despite how close I get.  The amount of times I replayed certain battles in order to just get one item is insane.  Man, it's frustrating at times, but I know I'll do it again...

Don't know if anyone has played or fought Ragu O' Ragula in Wild Arms XF, but dang!  That fight was extremely difficult.  I had to look up a strategy on Gamefaqs in order to figure out how to win.  I never had to do that before for that game series.  Blasphemy! :)

"I am the Grim Reaper's pen pal!  The ultimate macho man!"  ~Zed

"Do you think you can defeat a god?" ~Dhaos
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: