Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327896 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  White Knight Chronicles thread desu
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: White Knight Chronicles thread desu  (Read 11265 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »

Review is imminent! Still no word on a release date outside of Godzilla land. Any hardcore Level 5 fans here? You may be in for a disappointment. The Famitsu score was not wrong...

Here's a free review preview.

LEVEL 5 DEVELOPER’s MEETING

President Hino: Ok boys, I won’t mince words. I want this game out before 2009. We’re gonna need the holiday shopping binge to meet our sales goals and I don’t think we can stand toe to toe with the likes of Star Ocean, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil after all the lawsuits we’re gonna get post the Dragon Quest IX riots. Now I’ve got another business dinner / maid café trip / strip show binge planned for the famitsu reviewers in less than an hour, so if anyone has a reason why we need more time to develop this game, speak now.
Battle Designer 1: Well, the testers noticed several glitches with enemy movement and combat and-
President Hino: What do testers know? They play video games all day for a living! Next!
Battle Designer 2: Well we were thinking of adding some special attacks or just something to jazz up the-
President Hino: The MC transforms into a friggin’ giant knight! That’s jazzy enough! That’s bloody Thelonius Monk! Next!
Programmer: Well we anticipate a lot of complaints about the offline quests and-
President Hino: We’ll patch it later. Next!
Scenario Designer: Many of the online quests are-
President Hino: (looks at watch) Patch!
Nishiura: I was hoping to redo some of the later orchestra-
President Hino: Patch!
Nishiura: You want to patch the music?
President Hino: Are you telling me how to do my job?
Nishiura: Wouldn’t dream of it.
Enemy designer: Well I have some issues with the difficulty level. Maybe we could-
President Hino: If kids want to make it harder they can go get some crazy ideas on gamefaqs. Next!
Writer: Well we can’t patch the story, and I really have concerns that the plot is just way too-
President Hino: Look, this is MY story, so let me give you a hint: It rhymes with hatch.
Writer: ………………
President Hino: Great! Looks like we’re done here.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »

:(

Level 5 made such great games on the PS2 and DS(Prof. Layton is the SHIT).  What happened?
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »

President Hino: The MC transforms into bloody Thelonius Monk! That’s jazzy enough! That’s a friggin’ giant knight! Next!

There we go, fixed that line.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »

The MC transforms into bloody Thelonius Monk

Holy god would that be an awesome game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »

Writer: Well we can’t patch the story, and I really have concerns that the plot is just way too-
President Hino: Look, this is MY story, so let me give you a hint: It rhymes with hatch.
Writer: ………………

No no no, that's DLC not patching. Haven't you learned anything from Bethesda and Fallout 3?

... oh hell I can see that applying to the rest too. And it doesn't sound like it's a good enough game to let stuff slide like with Fallout 3 either.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:14:51 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

The MC transforms into bloody Thelonius Monk

Holy god would that be an awesome game.

You'd think that, but we all know how Eternal Sonata turned out...
The Kid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »

Is it really that bad..? I thought about getting a PS3 for this game in the future, but.. meh. Might be something to wait for when the price drops in the distant future.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »

...And I was gonna look for this game when I go to Japan. *Sigh*

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »

No no no, that's DLC not patching. Haven't you learned anything from Bethesda and Fallout 3?

I haven't finished Fallout 3, and I was stupid and got it on PS3 so no DLC for me sadly.

Point taken though. : )

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »

Yeah, what a total bummer. Looking back, this was one of those games that looked spectacular when we first heard about it. That trailer they gave us way back when made it look like something so...I don't know, fun.

Buzzkill.
HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »

I've been reading a few import impressions and the reactions I've read were very similar to the OP. Kinda sucks, I was down to buy a PS3 for this cause I thought it was going to be some crazy level 5 goodness.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »

I remember back in mid '07 defending the PS3 by citing Valkyria Chronicles and White Knight Story as games that aren't FF XIII and MGS IV that were worth waiting for. Apparently I was half right. :(

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:09:21 AM »

The writing is horrid....

Its kindda like RG all over again, everything is good except the story. oh the battle system is lacking as well and the online play is a PSO rip.

If you're looking for a generic RPG, this is it. The visuals at certain times are good though, but most of the time, I fel the PS3 could do better.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »

I don't really give a damn if a story's bad so long as the gameplay is good and it doesn't get in the way of gameplay by either unnecessarily restricting freedom or overwhelming me with long, boring cutscenes. Unfortunately Rogue Galaxy has shown that Level 5 can be guilty of both.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59:14 PM »

If you want me to sum up this game, its RG2. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: