Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 03:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327344 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest V  (Read 15951 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 03:08:45 AM »

I just started DQV. You start of as a 6 year old child who can't read buy is able to fight monsters.

Why do JRPG have to have the hero as a child? Even Link in some of the Zelda games is a child.

This is one of the last games to get upset about that. You'll see why, and if not then at least I can make an argument justifying it without spoiling you.

Yes, because after this all JRPGs characters start off as teens. :P

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:05 AM »

Yep, or you get characters who are in their thirties and still look like teenagers, right Xenosaga? :P

On the other hand, the characters who look and act like adults are usually infinite times more awesome than the teenagers. It's one of those Japanese RPG rules, I guess.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »

Then you get the whole thing with teenagers running the world: genious teens taking over megacorps, badass teens commanding armies, evil teens rulling empires with iron fist and raging errection... I mean wtf? I'm 27, and most of the people around my age are still moving up the ranks in the world. You don't find many people younger than 30 making much more than 200% of minimum wage, even in the best of situations. Meanwhile, in the land of jRPGs, 30-somethings are "passing the torch" to more yonger, more nimble minds and bodies. My ass. If teens ruled the world, nothing much would get done.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »

Holy crap the guy that composes music for these games is old.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »

Holy crap the guy that composes music for these games is old.

So, how much older than 21 is he? 5 years? 6?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 01:05:46 PM »

Sugiyama is in his 70s.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Dyfection

四月二十九日

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:48 AM »

Sugiyama at that age really caught me off guard because DQ8's soundtrack was pretty damn good, especially the U.S. version! I was waiting for somebody to finally compose something of that quality since Mitsuda with Xenosaga: Episode I, which was the only OST I've ever bought about a year before playing the game because I wanted to hear it so badly.

But anyway, as for DQ5, with no intention of changing the discussion into marriage options and their effects, I was torn when selecting because I didn't want to force myself to play a few saved games at a time, but I didn't want to miss out on the party talk, either. I'm starting to think that if I commit to playing DQ4 (Which I haven't played since NES), I should play the Japanese version strictly for that awesome feature.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 03:30:30 AM by Dyfection » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »

Sugiyama at that age really caught me off guard because DQ8's soundtrack was pretty damn good, especially the U.S. version!

Sugiyama is definitely "oldschool" Japanese. He also denies that the Nanking massacre ever happened and staunchly defends the WWII-Japan's "comfort women" policy.

On topic, I am actually sitting here with my DS open trying to decide which woman to take. Leaning towards Deborah ... going to read this thread in full before I make my decision.

Ramza

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »

Sugiyama at that age really caught me off guard because DQ8's soundtrack was pretty damn good, especially the U.S. version!

Sugiyama is definitely "oldschool" Japanese. He also denies that the Nanking massacre ever happened and staunchly defends the WWII-Japan's "comfort women" policy.

On topic, I am actually sitting here with my DS open trying to decide which woman to take. Leaning towards Deborah ... going to read this thread in full before I make my decision.

Ramza

dubble post!

NO ONE talked at all about marriage and what to do in this thread. Blaaaah...now I'm going to go to GameFAQs. For shame!

(I acknowledge the hypocrisy since we still don't have a review posted...)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 12:32:49 AM »

Bianca comes off as the intended choice. Deborah's a bitch, and as for Nera:
Code:
you're kind of taking her from the guy that really wants her, with little motivation given to you beyond getting her family shield.
I do hear Deborah gets some decent development though, but I'd save her for a replay or something. Nera's just too bland for me to pick except on a hypothetical third choice.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »

Yeah I went with Bianca. Was tempted to go with Deb, obviously didn't pick Nera (for the reason you cited).

Ramza

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »

I'm not at that point in the game yet, but isn't Bianca your cousin? I thought they introduced her as such in the early game. Not that that's really much of strike against, anyway. In middle-ages/renaissance it was perfectly acceptable, not to mention that it's far enough away genetically not to pose any real problem. After all, Cerino de Bergerac and Roxanne are supposed to be cousins too.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »

She isn't, you must have misinterpreted something.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »

As a port job, in general, this feels better than DQIV did so far. I mean, yes, the translation IS better, but DQIV felt a bit half-assed at times, and they made the pilgrim town *really* stupid. I don't really know why (although the enemy animation got a huge boost over DQ4). This remake just feels a lot more... together.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »

And still nobody else takes Nera! :(

Of course, I picked her solely for the fact that nobody else was going to pick her for the first playthrough.

As for what you get with Nera, you get

Code:
A couple chests full of gold, and the wife with the highest damage output (she learns Kaboom) though her equips suck (endgaming with a scale shield = weak)

Of course it doesn't really matter which wife you choose since they're all going to suck anyways (I beat the game with my Nera at level 31 while Hero's level was 39 and and the children were both at 37).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: