Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327601 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon's Souls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 39709 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:13 AM »

From Software's way under the radar adventure / action RPG. I sampled it at TGS and just got it yesterday, and let me say it has been kicking my ass.

It's sort of like The Legend of Zelda meets Resident Evil. The physics of sword combat are excellent and you don't get much more energy than regular enemies. Drop your guard for a second and you're dead. It got panned by Famitsu basically for being too hard. There are very few cinematics or cut scenes, and when they pop up they are short. There's no in-game tutorial, no throw away first boss: pretty much everyone gets raped by the first big monster. Respawn points are few and far between and you WILL get killed a lot. It's not like typical JRPG's where for each boss there is a save point and you have team of super-powered spikey-haired teens with three who can always cast cure 4 in a flash; the giant monsters and bosses are terrifying, they usually pop-up with little warning (unless someone leaves a message - see below) and often you're tired or not at your prime. There's a real sense of dread for these encounters, which adds to the game's atmosphere. It's superbly done, but definitely not for everyone.

The online component is done in a very interesting way. You can passively and directly interact with other players in a lot of ways. For example, blood stains in the environment mark where someone died. If you touch them, you can watch the player's death. Sometimes you'll just see their silhouette run around a corner and then just fall or get launched backwards KER-SPLAT!. That always makes me a bit nervous. You can also leave messages for people, and if someone positively rates your message, you get your health back. There's also cooperative play but I haven't gotten that far.

Gotta add this to the old import review pile. Pretty sweet so far.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:55:06 AM by KeeperX » Logged

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »

I've just been looking at a 10 min gameplay video from this game. I'm  ... somewhat interested in it. The game reminds me greatly of Vagrant Story for some reason (most likely the sole dungeon crawler vibe I'm getting from this game).

But I do have some questions about it. First off, is this a "role-playing game" in general? From the video you didn't see any kind of menu and so I have to ask. Are there any kind of spells/magic in this game? How about equipment or items (the only item I saw was some kind of a healing herb). Do you gain any levels or does this game simply throw all that away for realism? Because it seemed that way from the video at least...

Regardless, it looks interesting.

versuswef13

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »

Yeah i am really interested in this game as well.... I am thinking about importing it when it becomes available to Asia on the 27th of this month. Usually games from Asia have English menus so im looking into that. this game looks very good!! To bad i dont know how to read japanese....
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:47:58 AM »

That one trailer that was passed around back in December rocked IMO. I've since been quite interested in this game (trying to fighting off hoards of demons as a disposable grunt is ftw).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »

The asia version should be in full English and chinese for the text. Voices likely in japanese only.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:07:07 AM »

Actually all the voices are in English. The instruction booklet and in-game menus are Japanese, but I haven't heard one Japanese voice in the game. It's kind of weird. It's mostly localized but there isn't even a release date yet for the west.

And it's definitely an RPG. The story is variable and you can choose sides in a massive demon war. You learn magic and gradually improve your stats and skills based on which of the ten classes you start with. I can't remember all of them, but there is Barbarian, Knight, Soldier, Magician, Thief, Nobleman, Hunter, and a few others. They are really well differentiated too. It took me forever to decide who to start with because they all have distinct advantages and weaknesses. I went with knight because you start off fairly durable and I wanted to be able to shrug off a few blows while I warmed up. I just started a second game on another save slot as a Noblemen because they're a good mix of speed and light magic.

I think I'm getting used to the difficulty too. The sword-fighting takes some getting used to if you've played too much Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. You'll run out of stamina and get owned very quickly if you just spam the attack button. You have to block, parry, dodge, roll, look for openings and try to catch the enemy off balance. Basically you have to be a little patient. Sometimes you need to buck with your shield, and other times it's better to go two-handed with a sword, or sneak around and catch them with a crossbow. You have to try all kinds of shit to beat bosses. You can toss fire fire canisters or light your sword a blaze, use magic, or try spears or clubs. The character's sense of gravity and environmental physics generally are really nice. I can't believe I compared WKC to The Lord of the Rings. THIS game actually reminds of some of the massive monster fights from those movies. I'm really digging it.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:40:46 AM »

This collaboration has certainly paid off for developer From Software. The game has sold 23,000 copies in Japan on day one. Of course this performance is anything but impressive, but if you consider that their last couple of games all did not even manage to sell one third of that upon their debut, it looks as if this one might become a modest success story for them.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »

Actually all the voices are in English. The instruction booklet and in-game menus are Japanese, but I haven't heard one Japanese voice in the game. It's kind of weird. It's mostly localized but there isn't even a release date yet for the west.

Plus as said before how all of the written stuff and in-game menus are supposedly already in English (as one of several choices) for the upcoming Asian version at the end of this month.

So I really hope we get a date soon for this, hopefully after the Killzone 2, SFIV, RE5 February/March rush we'll start to hear about this game making it's way over since it looks like it's pretty much in English other than the manual.  I wasn't sure from just the initial trailer but the more recent trailers, captured gameplay videos that have been popping up and screenshots have gotten me interested especially with the mood and design work shown off not to mention some of those massive bosses shown in the trailers.

Edited:  Oops someone already mentioned the Asian version earlier
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:07:05 PM by Kos-mos » Logged
Thebel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »

First impressions of the combat system is that its somewhat simplistic, but as you start playing and confront the large variety of enemies in this game you start to appreciate its depth. Every weapon, every move, changes your approach to how you fight enemies, you actually have to think before your approach an enemy and not just button-mash.

BTW: The game sold above the 40k units last weeks
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

Beenfollowing this game for a while now, looks quite interesting, i also get this Vagrant Story vibe in the sense of the game being a dark dungeon crawling RPG adventure.

Just one question, what about the story? Is there any or just a basic premise of a big demon war and that's it?
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »

I placed an order for the asian version at yes-asia. This game might be hard to find soon, yes-asia assumed I wouldn't have the game before the beginning of may (!). Those interested might want to order it while it's still possible to get new. Or it could just be a problem at yes-asia. I can't order from play-asia since they don't ship to Norway.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »

So, is this game ever coming to america? Will i have to import the asian version? If the answer to the last question is yes, does the game features english subs and text?
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 08:02:18 PM »

Yes, the Asian version has both english subs and english text. That is why it is so weird that it hasn't already been brought over. If it's all done, what's the hold up?
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »

Yes, the Asian version has both english subs and english text. That is why it is so weird that it hasn't already been brought over. If it's all done, what's the hold up?

Legal crap, or nocompany interested yet in bringing this over here.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »

I hope it gets brought over.  Although I don't have a PS3 yet (just 360/Wii), this is near the top of my list of games to get when I do get a PS3 and I'm hoping that the game isn't too hard to find by then.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: