Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331897 Posts in 13592 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon's Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 40925 times)
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »

Yes, the Asian version has both english subs and english text. That is why it is so weird that it hasn't already been brought over. If it's all done, what's the hold up?

Legal crap, or nocompany interested yet in bringing this over here.
Probably because "insanely hard" is not really going to move too much anymore.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »

Seeing as how it's about 2 months old in Japan, they could just be waiting to announce it. Possibly being stupid and saving it for the fall crunch. Oh, and dubbing.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »

The game has already been dubbed. The Asian version has english text and voice work as well. So, yeah, they're probably just waiting to announce it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:00:27 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »

Well I plan on importing the "Asia" version, and hope for minimal differences to the North American version (if one's coming) so that when it hits, I can say "hey I already played this!"

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »

Got the Asian version today. Surprisingly, although the manual is completely in Chinese, there is a small English pamphlet that details the games interface. So far, it's been a fun game. I can imagine the online portion to be even more fun than this.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

Got the Asian version today. Surprisingly, although the manual is completely in Chinese, there is a small English pamphlet that details the games interface.

Yeah, that was pretty standard with the games I bought while I was in Taiwan, even for games that were completely in Chinese or Japanese.

Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »

Review posted!

Whad'ya think?

Worried about the difficulty?

Turned off? Turned on?

Maybe I exaggerated a bit much with the Iron Maiden analogy...

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »

I must say...  I envy you.  After reading your review, all I can say is wow.

...Oh wait.  I can say more.  Fuck.  There we go.

I seem to enjoy games where you'll probably die a lot. Also, that autosave thing seems like a bitch. :D
As I haven't heard anything about it coming here to NA (or even tried looking any info regarding that matter) I have a question.  Would I need a lot of knowledge of the Japanese language in order to enjoy this badboy if I do decide to import?

Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

Japanese version has English voices.

Asian version has English everything. Import that.

HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »

after reading your review if this gets a us release i'll definitely be picking it up.  i'm almost ashamed to admit i've never even heard of this game before i came across the review on this site.  definitely something worth some research.  well written review also!  definitely a way to get someone interested in a game.  i've been looking for QUITE some time for a game i can't beat in my sleep.

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Geop

Soshi Slave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »

Rather, I think this game would beat me in my sleep.  Like a red-headed stepchild. With the console unplugged. 

Yeah.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »

This sounds somewhat like Drakengard, in terms of gameplay. Am I far off?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »

I've seen gameplay footage and I would assume that you are WAY way off. Each single encounter looks like it's serious business as opposed to taking out legions of enemies quickly.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »

Hey Akira, what´s the closest game you have played in term of difficulty that matches demons souls hardships?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:21 PM »

Nothing of the last three generations. Console RPG's usually have sporadic difficulty, a hard section or area, or boss. Most of the time you can just back track and grind your way to victory. This game is far more challenging than even SMT games on hard mode, and is beyond any FPS or hack-and-slash title I can think of. Granted I haven't played every single game, so I'm sure people can think of balls hard games that might compare.

One thing that makes it tricky is that grinding is very hard in Demon's Souls because of the risk of losing all your souls from an accidental death. Even if you spend hours boosting stats, the difference is relatively small since you are boosting one stat one point at a time, and each successive boost costs more than the previous. It gets expensive after a while and the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Grinding is kind of good after you beat the first boss. I recommend grinding enough to get some basic magic and upgraded weapons, but character advancement overall is really incremental.

The best analogy is really Contra or Ninja Gaiden on NES. You only beat those games without cheat codes in one of two ways: Get really good, or memorize every scenario by rote and through grueling trial and error you might win. Demon's Souls is like that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: