Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319690 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon's Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 38133 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

So, is anyone here still playing this? I've been doing a lot of progress lately, I had a very hard time in the first few hours but now it's going pretty smoothly. I started with temple knight but learning magic was the best thing I could've done, good melee is very useful but having magic, even if only the soul arrow spell, makes your live a lot easier. I managed to kill 4 bosses on my first try untill now.
Atmosphere and immersion in this game are second to none. Sometimes the tension is unbearable. Yesterday I was one step away from getting my souls back and a knight I totally forgot about killed me with one hit. He wasn't even hiding but the game is so dark that sometimes you don't see anything besides your character. The first time you enter a level you just have to keep your shield up at all times, walk very slowly and pay attention to the sound. If you think you'll be overwhelmed run like hell.
Those arrow shooting traps really got me, I died but I laughed my ass off.
Code:
I had my shield raised for the first one but then the second one sends the arrows from the back!
Brilliant design, keeps you on your toes every second of the way.
I was just checking a thread on gaf for best game of this gen so far and DS is the game that gets mentioned more often followed by uncharted 2. I bet that the developers weren't expecting this kind of reception, it's amazing what word of mouth can do, the black phantom edition sold out, I'm really glad to hear that, on the week of release it managed to reach nš7 in the UK.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »

I finished my play through a week ago or so. I played Temple Knight with sword and board and, honestly, didn't have that much trouble with it.

New Game+, on the other hand, is hell. It is unbelievable hard. I beat Phalanx but got 1 hit killed by Tower Knight. I tried Armor Spider and I could roll quickly enough. I think I'm getting to the point of throwing the towel in. Being 1-hitted when I have a HUGE amount of health and the best defensive armor in the game is a bit of a bummer.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »

I finished my play through a week ago or so. I played Temple Knight with sword and board and, honestly, didn't have that much trouble with it.

New Game+, on the other hand, is hell. It is unbelievable hard. I beat Phalanx but got 1 hit killed by Tower Knight. I tried Armor Spider and I could roll quickly enough. I think I'm getting to the point of throwing the towel in. Being 1-hitted when I have a HUGE amount of health and the best defensive armor in the game is a bit of a bummer.

Man, that's rough, do you have PBWT? I know it always gets harder but man, that's crazy.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »

No, closer to white. Believe it or not. I got close to PWWT on most worlds on my first play through. Once I max that out I'm gonna head back towards black after I kill off most of the bosses. Assuming I get that far...

I grabbed the Brushwood armor set from 1-1 which has the highest physical defence, but is ungodly heavy. I swapped from Garl Vinland's Dark Silver set (which is better for PvP--High magic resistance) to that. It has helped quite a bit, but it hinders my ability to roll which is a problem for some enemies and bosses. Especially the armor spider. But it made getting 1-hitted by Tower Knight all the more annoying. Especially seen it takes a huge amount of souls for me to level up.

I must say though, a lot of the bosses seem like they'd be easier if I was ranged or magic. Most of the bosses can only do damage to you if you're close to them. Unfortunately for me, being pure melee, I don't have a choice. But I'm thinking of ditching most of my armor when I fight bosses. If they're gonna 1-hit me anyway I might as well make myself be able to run and roll faster.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:57:51 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »

Both the tower knight and the spider are a push over with ranged attacks, if you don't want to use magic use a bow. The game is hard enough, don't make it harder.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:34 PM »

Did the Black Phantom Edition really sell out?  I was hoping to double dip and import it.  Looks like I'm a bit late!

Also, ranged attacks break the game.  Now that I've beaten it some 5 times I find the game boring with ranged attacks, but I can absolutely see how they would be useful your first few times through the game.  I try to limit the amount I use them to Crystal lizard/geckos and 3-1.  Some magic, like Poison Cloud and Death Cloud, is really easy to abuse as well.  Any boss you're having problems with can likely be beaten with Poison Cloud (including Maneaters).

And while we're on the topic of New Game+, I'm actually appreciative of the difficulty spike.  It got me used to dying in one hit, so when I - more recently - replayed the game with a new character it was too easy.  The spike is huge, though, and I admit to dying quite a bit.  When I talk about Demon's Souls being hard I'm not talking about the base game, I'm talking about NG+.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »

Armor doesn't mean shit in anything but PVP.  And even then, only the armor that resists magic is any help at all.  This game is all about dodging if you're melee, you aren't going to get anywhere in NG+ if you don't realize that.  So yeah, if you're having problems winning with Melee pick up a bow, it makes everything easy-peasy.  There are some enemies who will literally just stand there and let you shoot them if you're far enough away.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:12 AM »

Armor doesn't mean shit in anything but PVP.  And even then, only the armor that resists magic is any help at all.  This game is all about dodging if you're melee, you aren't going to get anywhere in NG+ if you don't realize that.  So yeah, if you're having problems winning with Melee pick up a bow, it makes everything easy-peasy.  There are some enemies who will literally just stand there and let you shoot them if you're far enough away.

Does strength score contribute to ranged attack power? Because my dexterity is reaalllyyyy low.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2010, 04:06:28 AM »

It completely depends on your ranged weapon.  Most of them are Dexterity based.  Sticky Compound Long Bow+5 is typically considered one of the best and that has an S in Dexterity.  You only really need 30 or so in total to use this weapon effectively for all of your standard and New Game+.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2010, 04:24:16 AM »

It completely depends on your ranged weapon.  Most of them are Dexterity based.  Sticky Compound Long Bow+5 is typically considered one of the best and that has an S in Dexterity.  You only really need 30 or so in total to use this weapon effectively for all of your standard and New Game+.

Ah yeah. I forgot about the stat bonuses some weapons are affected by. I have the Compound Bow at +2 right now. Not with Sticky. I haven't killed Flamelurker on this play yet so I can't upgrade anything fancy. Again but Dex is like, 14. So that may not help all that much anyway.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2010, 04:54:06 AM »

I'm on  my first playthrough so I'm trying to get by with everything I find along the way, I'm trying to avoid guides as much as possible. Yesterday I killed the adjudicator, on the first 2 tries I was owned but on my third try I figured out a way to beat it without being touched, figuring this stuff out by yourself is really rewarding.
It's a fascinating game, yesterday I was entering 4-2 for the very first time, I had just beat the adjudicator and was messing around with my equipment, a BP invades and completely destroys me with a meatcleaver, I didn't even have time to react. I was raped in a matter of seconds.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2010, 06:04:57 AM »

I'm on  my first playthrough so I'm trying to get by with everything I find along the way, I'm trying to avoid guides as much as possible. Yesterday I killed the adjudicator, on the first 2 tries I was owned but on my third try I figured out a way to beat it without being touched, figuring this stuff out by yourself is really rewarding.
It's a fascinating game, yesterday I was entering 4-2 for the very first time, I had just beat the adjudicator and was messing around with my equipment, a BP invades and completely destroys me with a meatcleaver, I didn't even have time to react. I was raped in a matter of seconds.

That sucks. I always wanted to be invaded, though. I have now played the game for nearly 40 hours (probably just less than half in body form) and have not even once been invaded. Boo.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »

Demons Souls is one of my fav PS3 games.  I'm at the end of my second playthrough. I'm SL 150.  I'm missing a few trophies. Hard game but in the right way.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:06 AM »

I was a huge fan of Demon's Souls when it came out in the states.  I went pure melee the whole way and really only had trouble on the boss of 2-2. 

I really want to see a sequel, but they've got to do something about the black phantom invasions.  It's a great idea, and makes for one of the most intense moments ever in gaming, but it's also a complete pain in the ass when both players have a stockpile of healing items.  I've had standoffs last nearly a half hour because both of us were too damn stubborn to just give up....
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2010, 05:02:04 AM »

Finally got the long sword of moonlight out of that fucking slug nest to go along with my temple knight. God, I hate that swamp in 5-2. Then I used the sword to kill king doran to get his armor.
I'm getting close to completing all the worlds, it's a shame though, I don't want it to end, the tension of exploring a world for the first time or entering a boss room for the first time, you really have to experience it.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: