Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 10:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340866 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon's Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 42701 times)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »

@CDFN - Just wait for your first New Game+.  That's when Demon's Souls takes the training wheels off...
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »

Yeah, I've heard. But in NG+ you loose the element of surprise, you know what's coming, the difference is that they hit you even harder. But on the first playthrough you never know if there's a trap just one step away or what kind of monters lurk in the shadows, how they attack, if you have the right equipment to face them, etc...
The first few hours are hard but otherwise I think that the difficulty is just right. People shouldn't let the game's reputation drive them away, the fact that NG+ is harder is a completely different matter. It's like those extra hard secret dungeons, you only do them if you want to.
People who aren't afraid of a good challenge should explore the world this game has to offer at least once. Fascinating and memorable, those are the words that describe it best.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

I got really nervous on World 5-2. Place is just creepy.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

I tried Armor Spider and I could roll quickly enough. I think I'm getting to the point of throwing the towel in.

Equip King Doran armor set, Purple Flame Shield, Dragon Bone Smasher and Ring of Flame Resistance. It should give you a fairly decent protection against Armor Spider`s fire attacks(as long as you keep your shield up and don`t resort to rolling).
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »

I got really nervous on World 5-2. Place is just creepy.

I found 5-1 to be a lot more nerve-wracking.  I'll take a swamp you can't run in over all those narrow catwalks full of mutants any day.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »

I think 5-1 is creepier, but 5-2 is more disturbing. The thought of what you're running through (it's not mud) is rather disgusting.  5-3 is flat out "wrong" in so many ways that I'd actually put it as the highlight of the game for me.

Though I agree, I think what I miss most if not knowing what's coming next.  Part of the fun is discovering the levels, fighting new enemies, the like.  Playing 3-1 for the first time at 3:00AM was extremely nerve wracking, moreso than most "horror" games I've played.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

Fucking blue dragon.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »

That is exactly why I loved Demon's Souls the 1st time around, every step I would take, scared me out of either falling into a trap or getting ambushed. I think after I finish 3D Dot Game Heroes, I may have to come back to this :)

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
jalexbrown

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »

Of all the games I've played this generation, Demon's Souls is one of my most loved/most hated games.  The gameplay is a whole lot of fun, but the difficulty level is ridiculously, through-the-roof hard.  Even though I just can't beat it for the life of me, I respect From Software for not making another game that holds your hand like a creepy old guy walking kids across the street.

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »

I almost gave up in the beginning because I couldn't beat that damn Tower Knight. Afterwards, I kept getting further and further into the game.  I've already put about 130 some hours. I'm proud of myself and the fact that the servers got renewed until next year is always a plus if I decide to get back into the game at some point.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »

I do understand a lot of people liked it because it is hard but somehow I feel pushed away because of that. I beat the 1st boss and only died once, but I could already feel the difficulty of the game (plus I've seen lots of videos of gameplay). In the end I don't feel like punishing myself so much with this difficulty, and bear in mind I did beat Ninja Gaiden 1 and Devil May Cry 3, some pretty tough games but I don't know, I probably want a rest from these really hard games for a while, at least give me a checkpoint :)

If in Demon's Souls 2 we have an "easy newb mode" where we can have a few checkpoints, at least 1 in the middle of the stage and another before the boss you can count me in.
I think this would definitively increase sales and for the sake of challenge, don't give trophies for those who beat of "puppy mode". Sure I liked trophies but I'd much rather have a good time with a game without being frustrated every now and then and have no trophies at all.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »

So after a few days playing Nier I decided to go back to this to do some progress on my NG+.
I was invaded 3 times in less than 10 minutes. They were literally one after the other. I was only invaded once during my first playthrough (not counting the strange monk).
I was able to kill them all though, I don't really play with PvP in mind but my character is pretty strong, I can see people's hesitation when they see the moonlight sword. The first guy wasn't smart enough to drop the shield but the second one switched to 2 hands and tried to keep his distance. The third was pathetic, I don't know what he was trying to do.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »

I really hope they don't shut the server down any time soon.  I am having a second wind with the game myself.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

All shutting down the server will do is stop invasions.  You can still play the game.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »

What about summoning other players, joining others, and leaving messages?  I'm not against invasions either, despite having killed maybe 5 out of 30 people I've invaded.

I know the game can be enjoyed single player, but I like the feeling of being connected.  I'm also starting to like having my body, and without some of these online features, it'll be more difficult to obtain it.

edit: Is the pure white tendency event still going on?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:11:51 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: