Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:29:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon's Souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 42126 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »

Pft, physical forms are overrated.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »

The body is just a handicap, the ghost form is so much better at just about everything it's basically a punishment for killing bosses to get your body back.

What about summoning other players, joining others, and leaving messages?

Honestly, the way those systems are designed they only really work well when there are TONS of other people all playing at the same time.  As time goes on less and less people are going to be playing, so there's going to be less and less of it happening anyway.  Shutting down the servers literally isn't going to do much of anything.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »

When people say that you do more damage in soul form, are they talking about the Friend Ring?  The Friend Ring gives you 20% more damage in soul form... but that would use a ring slot... and ring slots (and HP) are why I like being in body form.

Edit:  Oops, the Friend Ring gives you 20% more damage in blue phantom form, which is different.  Basically, I'm trying to get my head around this soul form damage bonus.  I haven't seen anything in-game pointing it out.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:33:12 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2010, 09:15:51 AM »

There's no such thing.  The bonus for being in soul form is that you don't make any noise, so it's a LOT easier to sneak up on enemies and get backstabs/snipe them.  Meanwhile, the bonus for being in body is bonus health, which doesn't matter half of the time anyway because most things can one-shot you later on anyway.  It may be comforting to have the extra 25% health in soul form, but honestly it's unessesary.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »

The body form has another plus though. The ring slot that is used for the cling ring becomes available for something else.
I'm having more trouble with some bosses on NG+ than I had the first time...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »

Hmm, I never use the Cling Ring when in Soul Form, there are better options.  Once I hit New Game+ I simply relied on my ability to not get touched at all.  I had 9 Vitality and was easily able to survive.  Of course, I don't play as a purely physical character where I can see it might be more useful, but I do melee the bosses.

Oh, and I agree, I'm always in Soul Form.  The ability to remain silent is absolutely imperative.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »

I was able to complete the game in body form with few problems.  I probably had to take the game a bit slower than someone in soul form, however, since I couldn't rely on stealth to get through some areas.  For NG+, I made sure to stay in body form because it allowed me to survive one (maybe two) hits from even the toughest monsters.  I was a melee based fighter, so I needed to get up close and personal with the enemies.  If I did die, I just helped out another player to get my soul back and get a hefty amount of souls to level up again.

Also, Old King Doran's armor was awesome.  Had to beat that bastard on my NG+, which took quite a while....
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »

I usually use the cling ring, 50% health is too low. Of course you can say "they can't kill me if they can't touch me" but that's easier said than done. Being in soul form doesn't bother me at all though, I also appreciate the improved stealth, specially for backstabbing the mindflayers in the tower of latria.
I got old king doran's armor on my first playthrough and have been using it since.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »

The body form has another plus though. The ring slot that is used for the cling ring becomes available for something else.

bonus health, which doesn't matter half of the time anyway because most things can one-shot you later on anyway.  It may be comforting to have the extra 25% health in soul form, but honestly it's unessesary.

Why would you waste a slot on the Cling Ring after the first couple areas of the game anyway?  You almost never need it, and if you do you're going to get killed anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »

bonus health, which doesn't matter half of the time anyway because most things can one-shot you later on anyway.  It may be comforting to have the extra 25% health in soul form, but honestly it's unessesary.

Why would you waste a slot on the Cling Ring after the first couple areas of the game anyway?  You almost never need it, and if you do you're going to get killed anyway.

You're exaggerating. There are a lot of occasions where I manage to survive attacks that I wouldn't have survived with 50% health. It just happened to me yesterday when beating the flamelurker. I was able to survive his attacks thanks to the 75%, otherwise I would have to beat him without getting hit at all and why would I want to put myself through that?

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »

So then equip the ring for those instances and don't for when you want to wear other rings.  That is, after all, what the ring is THERE for.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »

Wouldn't body form + thief ring have the same stealth as soul form?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »

From my experience it isn't as effective.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »

From my experience it isn't as effective.

You are correct :)

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »

The game got greatest hits. It's going to be sold $29.99.

I hope this means it sold more than 500k in the US!

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: