Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319130 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Favorite Anime
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Anime  (Read 11780 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 07:12:09 PM »

I don't watch as much anime is many of you, but my all time favorite series is easily Boogiepop Phantom.  It's dark, twisted, complex, but not as brain-breakingly hard to follow/keep track of as, say, Serial Experiments: Lain, which almost got lost in its own complexity.  I still liked Lain, though.

I approve of this nonsense!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »

5.) Vision of Escaflowne
4.) Vandread the Second Stage
3.) Elfen Lied
2.) Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
1.) Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid

My top 5 changes a lot, depending on the day, and the top 3 usually flip-flop around a lot too. Some of my other favorites include Love Hina, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, FLCL, Mai-HiME, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, etc.
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 02:39:13 PM »

Been recently getting back into Anime again.

1. Scrapped Princess.
I absolutely love this one, just brilliant.

2. Macross (Plus, Zero, SDF)
It has fighter-jets transforming into robots, how can one not love this.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Just awesomeness.

4. Now and Then, Here and There.
Depressing and great.

5. Naruto/Bleach.
It's just pure mindless fun, well atleast when they follow the manga and not make sub-par filler episodes.
Yuki.N

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »

Quote from: "Viarca"
Kinoís Journey would probably be my pick if I had to make a single choice.  Most of the episodes are extremely well done, dealing with very profound themes that leave you thinking, and are presented in a way that would only make sense as an anime.  Itís not as flashy as some of my other favorites like X TV or Fullmetal Alchemist, and certainly not sentimental in the same way as Fruits Basket, but when I think about shows that have left a lasting impression, it always comes to mind.

Yeah, Kino's Journey had a unique way of presenting various aspects of human nature through the travels. Definitely one of my favorites, but I can't decide where to put it on my top 10 or 5 list:

1) Gunslinger Girl
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
3) Ouran High School Host Club
4) Full Metal Panic!
5) Either Noir or Kino's Journey
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »

In no particular order:

Monster (favorite serious)
Azumanga Dihao (favorite comedy)
Please! Teacher (favorite romance)
Now & Then, Here & There
Nadesico
Cowboy Bebop
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Escaflowne
Ah! My Goddess (original 6 episode OVA)
Read Or Die (TV)
Trigun
Jubie Chan
Full Metal Alchemist

Currently watching: Last Exile, Please! Twins, Full Metal Panic: Second Raid, and rewatching Now & Then, for like the 10th time.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Freya

freya_lexx@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 05:22:16 PM »

With no doubt in my mind, my favorite animes have to be Fruits' Basket, Full Metal Alchemist and Azumanga Diaoh and then Read or Die the movie! I've heard some opinions about the Cowboy Bebop, what do you guys think about that one? Is it fairly interesting?

A thing, until it is everything, is noise, and once it is everything it is silence
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:26 PM »

Cowboy Bebop is a great anime. It's more style over substance, though. It has great characters, great visuals(for a '98 anime, still looks great though), and good music by Yoko Kanno. Isn't much of a story, as a lot are standalone episodes, but they're great nonetheless.

If you've seen and/or enjoyed shows like Outlaw Star and Trigun, you'll probably like Cowboy Bebop.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 10:50:17 AM »

Cowboy Bebop, Patlabor, Detective Conan, Hellsing, Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex, Ebichu, 100 Stories aka Requiem from the Darkness, The Vampire Hunter D movies, FLCL

Trigun loses its way about halfway through the series. It was goofy and fun and all of the sudden, the tone shifts, jarringly, and it doesn't work.

Tried to get into Escaflowne - the soundtracks are fantastic but the anime just didn't work for me.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »

I might have to change my answers a bit.  I love Boogiepop and Lain, but it's hard for me to watch those unless I'm in a certain mood.  I find Noir and Elfen Lied more "addictive" in that I'm more readily willing to watch those again.  

I've only seen 12 episodes of Noir and it's fast becoming my favorite series.  It started out great and just keeps getting better and better.  Very addictive series.  So stylish.  It's not a terribly innovative series (to me it's Gunsmith Cats meets Phantom of Inferno) but it does what it does amazingly well.  So long as Noir's ending gives proper closure and doesn't feel like a total cop out, I'll have a new favorite.  Did I mention the music in Noir is awesome too?  And in my eyes, Mireille Bouquet is the most beautiful anime woman I've ever seen.  Wow!  One thing I love about Noir is that even though it's a serious minded series with nothing in the way of comic relief, it still remains a fun series to watch.  

The jury is still out for #1 since I don't want to put Noir up there without seeing it in its entirety, but the rest of my top 5 are:

Elfen Lied- not a terribly innovative series, but the characters are extremely well portrayed, the visuals are fantastic, the pacing is wonderful, and I found it compellingly disturbing.  

Boogiepop Phantom- see previous post.  Wonderfully atmospheric series with enough content to break your brain and keep you compelled.  It's definitely a grower series.  Multiple watches will reveal more layers of depth.  

Serial Experiments Lain- this is *the* series if you want your brain broken.  It may seemingly collapse under the weight of its own complexity but there is a method to the madness.  It's also a grower, though even after 5 watches, you won't be that much closer to "getting" it.  

Neon Genesis Evangelion- even though a lot of people may say this series is supercilious crap, it has a soft spot in my heart.  It's the first anime series I saw that had really deep storytelling, deep character portrayals, and the emotional roller-coaster I went on with EVA is something I won't forget.  Some episodes even gave me nightmares.  People can bluster on and on about how X or Y series does EVA better than EVA, but for me, EVA will always remain a nostalgic part of my anime history.

Honorable mention goes to Gunsmith Cats.  Though it had an anime OVA series that had some great moments, it just wasn't enough for me.  I need to collect that manga series; I used to have some of them but they got lost in a move.  For better or worse, Gunsmith Cats was what got me into the whole "girls with guns" anime subgenre.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »

I hate to say this, Dincrest, and although I respect your choices here, I think we have VERY different taste in anime. The only series of that list that I even remotely liked was Noir, but I don't really see anything very special about it (I've seen about 12 episodes too). Lain's first two episodes were some of the best stuff I'd ever seen, but the rest of the series totally let me down, and it turned out to be something completely different from what I expected/was-hoping-for... I almost cried at the end I felt so betrayed. Boogie-pop Phantom I've only seen a few episodes of, but I found it so damn similar to Lain that I shut it off. And Eva... well, I think all of you know my thoughts on Eva, so I don't start up again.

I dunno, I find myself hating about 95% of "mind fuck" anime, because it very often is bits of armchair philosophy, mangled religious references, and made-up pretentious affirisms thrown together into a pot, and boiled around for a few minutes. They usually lack depth of character portrayal outside of things directly relating to the anime's central theme, too.

Probably the only "mind fuck" anime I like (if it can be called a "mind fuck") is Monster, which is probably my favorite series in existance... but not because of the plot so much as the wonderfully woven characters and dialog.

I find myself caring about plot and "central themes" less and less as I get older, and am just looking for some semblance of good character portrayal, which seems to be getting so rare these days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »

Dincrest, if you like Noir, and once you finish it, you should check out Madlax, since it's created by the same creators. I don't know much on how similar they are, since I've only seen 10 eps of Noir, but there are obvious similarities.

--

And I need to see Monster. At most messageboards I've been too, there's been nothing but high praise for the show.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 12:43:55 PM »

Prime Mover- and viva la difference.  I think it's great that we have different tastes in anime and that makes discussion fun.  

dalucifer- Madlax, huh?  If it's even remotely as good as Noir, I'm in.  I'd definitely want to see more work from those creators.  When "girls with guns" is done right, it's amazing.  

I still want to save up for the boxset of BECK when it comes out.  I read some of the manga and loved it.  Everyone tells me that I would love BECK because it's about the trials and tribulations of a kid and his rock band, and since I am a musician and have faced many trials and tribulations of playing in local bands that I could relate to the anime.  

I already was flabbergasted by the detailing of the guitars in the manga (I'm a total guitar/bass/drums/amps gearhead) so...

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 02:10:26 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
And I need to see Monster. At most messageboards I've been too, there's been nothing but high praise for the show.

It's pretty simple, present day, "The Fugative"-like series with absolutely no sci-fi/fantasy elements. But the main thing is the writing and the characters. No character is hollow, not even the smallest side-characters. Many times, they'll feel free to just leave behind the main character and central storyline for episodes at a time, to explore the lives of some side-characters, and those are often some of the best episodes.

Touchstone bought the rights, a while back, to make a film out of it... I can't see it working in a 2-hour movie, though, it really needs to be a series. It's a lot like LOST in many ways, that it has a central, ominous storyline, but the bulk of its greatness comes from exploring the past lives of the characters.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »

Dincrest - Yeah, Madlax is part of the "Girls With Guns" trilogy. The third series is airing this years, I don't know the title, because it's a Spanish one.

Prime - Seems interesting, but I hope it's not like LOST, because I heard that there was a
Code:
freakin' polar bear on the island or something.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »

Add Gunbuster to my list. I'm back in love with this anime after 8 years away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: