Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 09:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331572 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Favorite Anime
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Anime  (Read 12237 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »

Bee Train's latest Girls with Guns show is called El Cazador de la Bruja. I've never understood the appeal of them myself. The only thing I liked about Madlax and Noir were the soundtracks - how come Yuki Kajiura only gets to write music for crappy shows?

Anyway, been watching more of Guren-Lagann recently and I still like it a lot even if the episodes are a little bit hit and miss. Ep 4 was horrid, and most of episode 6 consisted of flashbacks. The pay-off at the end more than made up for it, though.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Prime - Seems interesting, but I hope it's not like LOST, because I heard that there was a freakin' polar bear on the island or something. (no need to act like it's a spoiler, it's in the first episode, and it's irrelivent to the overall plot

Well, if you've ever watched LOST, the polar bear thing is completely irrelivant. Sure, it's one of the MANY strange things that go on on the island that noone can explain... not the least of which is how a plane could break in half in mid-air, and about 1/3rd of the passangers survive. It's a creepy show, very cool. The polar bear thing fits well, too.

Anyway, I didn't mean that it was like LOST in that respect. Monster is much more grounded in reality, no paranormal shit. The villain is quite possibly the greatest villain after Hannibal Lecter, and similar in many respects: intelligent, charasmatic, harmless looking, and PURE EVIL. I dunno, there's nothing specific I can say about it that will make you go "WOW, I NEED TO SEE THIS", because it's beauty is all in its subtlety, but it's an absolutely amazing series.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »

Re: girls with guns anime.  I'm not sure why I like that subgenre, but I just do.  I admit that I enjoy anime like Gunsmith Cats & Noir, and games like Phantom of Inferno more than I probably should.  

However, I'm fairly particular about the kinds of girls with guns anime I watch.  I tend to prefer those set in more modern/contemporary times rather than historical or futuristic.  I also like if the fanservice is minimal or at least covert.  Someone recommended that I check out Najica Blitz Tactics since I like girls with guns, but I didn't like it; too fanservicey and it was overt like they were beaning me over the head with it a times.  I don't need overstuffed cleavage in my face and needless panty shots.  

Talk to me a decade and some change ago, and I'd have been amused by the fanservice in stuff like Burn Up W! but not these days.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kishou

kishou_91@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:51 AM »

Mine:
1) Bleach
2) Full Metal Alchemist
3) Death Note
4) Naruto
5) Yu Yu Hakusho
6) Gun Grave
7) Basilisk
8) Berserk
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:05 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Re: girls with guns anime.  I'm not sure why I like that subgenre, but I just do.  I admit that I enjoy anime like Gunsmith Cats & Noir, and games like Phantom of Inferno more than I probably should.  

However, I'm fairly particular about the kinds of girls with guns anime I watch.  I tend to prefer those set in more modern/contemporary times rather than historical or futuristic.  I also like if the fanservice is minimal or at least covert.  Someone recommended that I check out Najica Blitz Tactics since I like girls with guns, but I didn't like it; too fanservicey and it was overt like they were beaning me over the head with it a times.  I don't need overstuffed cleavage in my face and needless panty shots.  

Talk to me a decade and some change ago, and I'd have been amused by the fanservice in stuff like Burn Up W! but not these days.

I stand by the original Dirty Pair. The fanservice was pretty straight-up: you're watching two hot chicks blow shit up with guns. And they had tight costumes on. End. No silly panty shots or whatever. Plus it's damned funny and well animated. Yes, it's futuristic, but that kinda works to its advantage unlike most series'.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Prime - Seems interesting, but I hope it's not like LOST, because I heard that there was a freakin' polar bear on the island or something. (no need to act like it's a spoiler, it's in the first episode, and it's irrelivent to the overall plot

Well, if you've ever watched LOST, the polar bear thing is completely irrelivant. Sure, it's one of the MANY strange things that go on on the island that noone can explain... not the least of which is how a plane could break in half in mid-air, and about 1/3rd of the passangers survive. It's a creepy show, very cool. The polar bear thing fits well, too.

Anyway, I didn't mean that it was like LOST in that respect. Monster is much more grounded in reality, no paranormal shit. The villain is quite possibly the greatest villain after Hannibal Lecter, and similar in many respects: intelligent, charasmatic, harmless looking, and PURE EVIL. I dunno, there's nothing specific I can say about it that will make you go "WOW, I NEED TO SEE THIS", because it's beauty is all in its subtlety, but it's an absolutely amazing series.

I was actually considering reading the manga but I tend to stray away from series without a supernatural element to them. The way you describe the villain is intriguing. Perhaps I'll pick up a volume or two to see how it rubs with me.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »

It is unfortunate that a 'Best of' anime list is dictated not by what I've seen but more likely what I haven't, but I still have a lot of ground to cover, what can I say.

Serial Experiments/Boogiepop Phantom-Both are favorites of mine, having seen lain at least 5x already. I could give you a synopsis of each, with the requirement you don't ask a single question or try to unravel my summary in any way.

Escaflowne-Starts off kinda cheesy, but once the story gets going it is hard to stop. Van is one of my favorite anime characters, and the relationship with this brother adds a nice shroud of mystery(as does the spiteful behavior of that crazy man/woman, forgive me for not knowing her name).

Neon Genesis-Still have to mention it, Shinji is one of the most empathetic characters in anime history(or pathetic if you'd rather). Don't care much for the OVA's, but a nice relic.

Blue Seed-Ok, not so easy to justify, but I really enjoy the design of it, especially of the aragami.

Other shows I really enjoy are Niea Under 7, Urasei Yatsura, El Hazard, Wolfs Rain, anything studio Ghibli, Akira, and pretty much any other anime out there I've seen. Not much I haven't enjoyed, knock on wood.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »

I'd still have to go with Akira, Ninja Scroll, Beserk, Vampire Hunter D and Spirited Away as my top 5.  But, in all honesty, I really haven't kept up with anime in the last few years:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »

I don't have a list, but I will say that the first two Patlabor movies are my favorite movies of all time (other than The Passion of Joan of Arc).

I'm also really into Marmalade Boy and SuperGALs.
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »

I forgot to add Haibane Renmei, a nicely done melodrama, that my even my non-anime-fan mom and sisters adored immensely.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

I watched Tri-gun today (All of it) for the first time in about 3 years. I enjoyed it more this time than I remember last time, though the last episode and the plant line still bugs me, because it comes from nowhere.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Barnacle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:04 AM »

Hundred Stories - Bizzare and disturbing.  There are images in this anime that I can't shake off even now.  Very, very good in my books.

NieA7 - Irresistibly charming, though I can't explain why.  Maybe it's the nostalgia.

Ghost Stories - "Real world" supernatural/myth stories always intrigue me, and this show had a number to tell.

Voltes V - An intergalactic soap opera from back then.  It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I can still hum the opening and ending songs.
Sir_Dekar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

Mine:

1) Hunter x Hunter + OVAs
2) Saint Seiya + Hades OVAs
3) Dragon Ball Z
4) Naruto + Shippuden
5) Rurouni Kenshin
6) Hajime no Ippo
7) Slam Dunk
8) Bleach
9) Yu Yu Hakusho
10) Märchen Awakens Romance / Full Metal Alchemist

Honorable Mentions: Berserk, KI-BA, School Rumble and Robotech.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: