Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337990 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Favorite Anime
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Anime  (Read 12434 times)
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2006, 01:05:02 AM »

Whats your top anime series/movie list?

Mine would have to be:

1. Berserk
2. X (TV)
3. Scryed
4. Hellsing
5. Arc the Lad

And of course there are more.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:54:47 AM »

I'd have to say Twelve Kingdoms. But so many others fall so close behind that its a very painful experience to nail it down to one specific anime. Chrno Crusade was amazing as was Scrapped Princess and Kenshin. Either way, I think Twelve Kingdoms pulled me in the most and I cared about the characters the most. I only wish there were more episodes since the books are so very long.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:54 AM »

Currently I felt Fruits Basket (yeah im sappy) and Hikaru No Go are my top anime. I just love them both to death.

Honorable mentions are the Kenshin OVAs (thought the TV series blows), X TV, Fushigi Yugi and GTO (<3 Onizuka)

Gankutsuou is also really awesome and really was a pleasent surprised when I decided to watch it one day.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:43:14 AM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"

Honorable mentions are the Kenshin OVAs (thought the TV series blows), X TV, Fushigi Yugi and GTO (<3 Onizuka)

What? The Kyoto arc of the Kenshin TV series (episodes 27-62 or so) is awesome. Without a doubt the best variation on the shounen-fight-of-the-week formula ever animated. The rest of Kenshin TV is hit and miss though (with the true-to-manga bits being pretty damn good, and the filler episodes pure garbage).

Favorite anime is always I tough question to answer for me, as there's so much stuff I love. X TV, Gankutsuou and Twelve Kingdoms are absolutely up there at the top of the list, together with Kenshin OAV, Macross Plus, Gunbuster, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Wolf's Rain. And Vision of Escaflowne. And pretty much anything and everything by Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress and Paranoia Agent) and Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli.

I could go on listing stuff all day, and I don't think I ever would be able to pick one anime as my all-time, ultimate favorite.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:35 AM »

Mine would have to be UC Gundam, Wolf's Rain, Monster, Jin-Roh, and Hellsing +Gantz but the last two just the manga.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »

Wow. That's a hard one to answer without rattling off a bunch of titles. There are so many I appreciate for different reasons.

Berserk - I can't describe the effect this anime had on me the first time I watched it. It still stands as my overall favorite and I follow the current manga to sate my thirst for Berserk. I <3 Kentaro Miura.

Other ones I do enjoy from time to time: Gankutsuou, Escaflowne, Fullmetal Alchemist (+manga), Fruits Basket (+manga), Bleach (+manga), Eureka 7, Macross Plus, Please Save My Earth(+manga), Last Exile... That's good enough for now. :)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »

Rurouni Kenshin, Kyoto Arc. Though if asked what my favorite episode of an anime would be I'd easily answer: Naruto #133.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »

My favorite anime series is Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango).  I've watched the whole series over a dozen times in Japanese and in English.  I bought the domestic release of the entire seires and I'm getting all the manga.

The other obsession of mine is Fruits Basket.  I love the humor and the message it has.  Again, I have the domestic dvds and am getting the manga.  I'm even considering getting a Kyo knit cap.

His and Hers Circumstances (Kare Kano) is a very funny, well written series.  Not only do I have the dvds and manga, but I got the soundtrack too.  

As for movies, I really liked Whisper of the Heart and Voices of a Distant Star.  Whisper of the Heart is a feel good movie that celebrates the innocence of first love.  Voices of a Distant Star is the ultimate long distance love story; it made me bawl my eyes out.  

Other series I enjoyed watching, but aren't obsessive over:  Kenshin, Trigun, and Gungrave.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Thanatos01s2
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 10:26:56 PM »

I don't have one favorite anime, but I love Rurouni Kenshin, X, Gungrave, Hellsing, and Ghost in the shell.  I like all of these about equally I have seen and I own alot of anime and these are without a doubt my favorite.  All of these animes have really good story lines and great action, just what I like.

I'll probably be banned in 3...2...1...

Sayonara retaado-chan. ^________^
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 10:33:32 PM »

Quote from: "Lilim"

Berserk - I can't describe the effect this anime had on me the first time I watched it. It still stands as my overall favorite and I follow the current manga to sate my thirst for Berserk. I <3 Kentaro Miura.

Heh, glad there are more out there like me = - )

You know, I am going to edit my orginal post.  Its going to be "Top anime series/movie list.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:53:26 PM »

Unfortunately reading this thread has peaked my interest in some series.  

So I must ask, is Twelve Kingdoms that good?  For those of you that have seen it, do you think it would be something I would like based on my post about my favorite anime series/movies?  I'm asking because I saw the dvd box sets selling for $60 a piece.  That's $120 for the whole series.  I've never seen one episode so I need to make sure I won't regret the investment.  The plot sounds a little like Escaflowne and to be honest I didn't like the series.  I didn't hate it, but it isn't something I would watch again.  Thanks in advance.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 03:27:40 AM »

Yes, Twelve Kingdoms really  is that good. The plot doesn't have much in common with Escaflowne past the "Girl gets transported to a mystical world" thing, and that's a pretty common plot element in anime. Twelve Kingdoms does a very good job of putting a new spin on it, though, and much of the enjoyment comes from learning more about the world and it's history and culture.

Judging from the stuff you've put down as your favorite animes I'd say that you're into character driven dramas, right? If so, then Twelve Kingdoms should be right up you alley as it's got some of the best character development I've ever seen, regardless of the media.

The only bad thing that can be said about Twelve Kingdoms is that it lacks an ending. It was based upon a series of books that's still work in progress, and when the anime caught up with it they just ended the show without giving it a real ending. I guess this can be frustrating to some, but it didn't really bother me that much.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 05:25:11 AM »

Slayers, definitely Slayers. It may be due to nostalgic reasons, it being the first complete series I ever collected and watched, but I think it's definitely up there in terms of entertainment value. It's funny, has a fun plot, and has some of the best endings in an anime series ever (the last 5 or 6 episodes of Slayers Next had some awesome twists that kept me glued to the tv). Fun characters, fun enemies-- just an overall fun experience.

Some honorable mentions would be Flame of Recca, Love Hina, Fushigi Yuugi, and and a bunch of others that escape me at the moment.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »

Berserk, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll and Akira

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 12:02:20 AM »

Quote from: "Kiem"
I'd have to say Twelve Kingdoms. But so many others fall so close behind that its a very painful experience to nail it down to one specific anime. Chrno Crusade was amazing as was Scrapped Princess and Kenshin. Either way, I think Twelve Kingdoms pulled me in the most and I cared about the characters the most. I only wish there were more episodes since the books are so very long.

I concur in the first part, supplying Kimagure Orange Road, Macross Plus, PLANTES, and Haibane Renmei where Tim's other choices go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: