Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:55:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327662 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS2 & Blue-bottom discs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PS2 & Blue-bottom discs  (Read 3303 times)
Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »

Do PS2 blue-bottom discs (CD-ROMs) harm the system's laser?

I recently purchased a factory sealed 390001 model fat PS2 when my launch model bit the dust since they're known to be the most relliable, and at the same time purchased my first ever blue-bottom game, SSX. When I play SSX, compared to my silver-bottom DVDs, it spins crazy fast in the drive and makes a lot more noise. Is this in any way harming my laser or other internal drive components by putting excessive stress on my machine?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »

Ah, the wonderful world of DRE! The old ROD! :D

They don't harm the laser, Sony's old lasers are just unreliable and faulthy. Those blue discs are CDs, the silvery ones DVDs. Two different types of discs and the PS2 needs to switch between them. What happens? They get stuck (for some reason or other) and refuse to read CDs/DVDs. Usually it's the CDs that don't work anymore, because CDs are harder to read. A good cleaning might help, or you may need to realign the laser.

Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:48 PM »

Well, like I said, my PS2 is brand new (albeit an older production model) so I don't think I have to worry about DREs for a while. I just want to know if it's "safe" for my system to play CD-ROM games on it. I'd like the laser to last as long as possible.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »

It's a PS2, PS2s are cheap and easily replaced :/ If you have CD games you want to play, just play them. The newer models seem to have more problems with CDs than the fat PS2s anyway.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »

The only blue-bottom PS2 game I own is Tekken Tag Tournament, and I used to play that a lot on my phat PS2. My PS2 still works fine, after all these years. Hell, I play a lot of my PS1 games on my PS2. I doubt that you'll have any troubles either.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: