Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319801 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  360 HDMI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 360 HDMI  (Read 2130 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

Alright so I have a 360 before they added the HDMI port.  Is there a way to get a converter piece or some other attachment so I can use a HDMI cable, is it really that big of a difference between the component and HDMI?  I have a 1080p HDTV so that's why im asking.   

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »

Here's a conversion kit, and it might be worth looking into. Does your TV accept 1080p over component? It's completely feasible, but a few of the manufacturers (like Sony) are cocks and block it. If it's usable over component however I doubt there will be a significant difference. You'd best look at the AVS Forum to see what people say there about the upscaling and the convertor.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:07 PM »

I have exactly that item, although I bought it at Gamestop.  It's worked like a charm for me.  Glad I got it.  As you may already know, it's tough to predict whether component or HDMI will look better, so as Eusis says, it may not make a difference in what you see.

However!  I bought mine because my new TV had 3 HDMI ports and 2 component ports, one of which could also accept composite.  The only other thing I had that uses HDMI was my PS3, but I had a number of things that could plug into those precious component/composite ports.  Buying this device essentially gave me another port on my TV, and that was totally worth it.

Here's a link to it on gamestop.com, where you can get it far cheaper than Amazon.  It's not available through the website, but you can put in your zip code and see if a Gamestop or EB Games near you has one in stock.  Their "in stock or not" checker has been pretty accurate for me whenever I've tried it.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69119
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:19:54 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:50:43 AM »

Alright thanks.  And yeah, to be honest, I always thought I only had 1080i available, but I went into my 360s stuff, and I could choose 1080p, and when I did, the tv's info button said it was displaying in 1080p.  Ive got a 26" vizio I got from walmart in November of 07, so for more than I year id been running it in 1080i not realizing I could do 1080p unless both my console and my tv are lying to me or some such.

Reading reviews and such though, it sounds like it varies, and honestly I think it looks pretty good as it is so I will probably leave it alone to save some cash.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:56:13 AM by Serene Prophet » Logged

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »

Yeah, if you can use 1080p already I'd keep the cash. If you plan to upgrade to something like Sony or Samsung though then you'll probably want to grab it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: