Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319735 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Recipes!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recipes!  (Read 2980 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »

We haven't had one for awhile...and all the talk of eating monkey in the other thread has made me hungry. So...any good recipes you like to make?

Tonight I am making

Sausage Stuffed Zuchini

3 large zuchini
Sweet Italian Sausage (cooked)
Bread crumbs
grated parmesan and romano cheese
Garlic
Olives
canned tomatos (drained)
basil
pepper
salt

Alright-most of that stuff is to taste, so here is the recipe

Boil the zuchini for about 5 minutes. Slice them down the middle and using a spoon gut the zuchini, making a little boat.

Now, put the sausage, cheese, garlic, olives, tomato, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor and mix and grind it. Put a paper towel in a bowl and empty the mixture into it. Drain the liquid out, leaving you with the dried mixture. Add in the bread crumbs and mix by hand. Then place as much or as little as you want in the zuchini boats. Place in a pan and cover with aluminum foil, place in 350 degree oven. After about 10 minutes take off the aluminum foil and put the pan on the top rack.

I add a little bit of Italian cheese blend to the top when it is almost done.

For the vegetarians, just keep out the sausage and it is still good stuff.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »

Bread + Margarine + crisps.

You think I'm taking the piss, but for me that's a good meal!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »

The most refreshing summertime drink involves a juicer, some club soda, pineapple, granny smith apples, and strawberries.  

Juice the pineapple, apples, and strawberries.  By itself, that is one incredible juice, but add some club soda for bubbles, and you have a refreshing summertime drink for personal consumption, barbeques, parties, what have you.  

The tartness of the granny smith apples offsets the sweetness of the pineapple and strawberry.  And the bubbles add summer fun.  

I know it's a pretty simple recipe, but it's wonderful for summer.

Some people may want to use champagne in place of the club soda and make it a sparkling alcoholic punch, but I don't like to do that, because alcohol tends to dehydrate you.  If you do decide to use champagne, make sure it's a really dry champagne, otherwise if it's too sweet it will taste horrible; like the taste equivalent of a woman with too much make-up and nose-clogging perfume.  Let the sweetness come from the fresh fruit juice.

I approve of this nonsense!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »

Snapped from my Voodoopad:

Lime-Ginger Stir-Fry (Serves 4)

Equipment:

-   Stainless steel wok or frying pan
   -   Spatula or other spade utensil
   -   Bowls for ingredients
   -   Spoon for tasting

Ingredients:

-   1 green chili pepper (whole)
   -   2 red chili peppers (minced)
   -   4 slices ginger (diced)
   -   1 head of broccoli (dollared)
   -   1/2 head of cauliflower (dollared)
   -   2 cups mushrooms (dollared)
   -   1 tbsp white pepper
   -   1/2 cup hoison sauce
   -   1/4 cup light soy sauce
   -   2 tsp salt
   -   1 lime (quartered)
   -   3 tbsp oregano
   -   1/2 cup sesame oil
   -   1 cup olive oil

Preparations:

Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil into the wok and pre-heat on mid-to-low heat for 10 minutes and add a dash of salt. Wash all your vegetables, especially your mushrooms. Remember to remove the stalks from your mushrooms unless they're shiitake (Chinese/Japanese black mushroom). Cut the stalk off the green chili (or where the stalk should be) and put it in the oil for flavouring. Finely mince the red chilis. Put hoison sauce, light soy sauce, 1/4 cup of sesame oil, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tbsp of white pepper into a bowl and mix. Add red chili.

Dollar broccoli and cauliflower, quarter the limes, dice the sliced ginger (keep this seperate from other ingredients!), and dollar the mushrooms. Put ingredients into seperate bowls (broccoli and cauliflower can be kept together). Add 1 tbsp oregano atop the mushrooms. Add 1/4 cup of sesame oil to the broccoli.

Cooking:

Set heat to mid and place both broccoli and cauliflower into wok. Let them cook for awhile (you might want to pre-steam these if you're in a hurry or prefer softer veggies). Once they've been cooking for a few minutes, pour half the sauce mix over them and start moving the veggies around with your spatula.

Next, put in the mushrooms and pour the remainder of the sauce over them. Squeeze the limes over the mix and add both juice and rinds. Also put in the ginger and stir it around so it mixes well with the veggies. Pour the rest of the olive oil on, add the remainder of the salt and other ingredients. Let this start to cook.

After about three minutes, turn the heat up and add the minced red chilis. Start stirring the mixture, pausing about every two minutes to let the sauce soak in. There's no fixed time since it's stir fry, but a good approximation is 10-15 minutes tops. If you pre-steamed your veggies, cooking may be as short as 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 05:31:24 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"

Cheese and Onion or Flamin Hot Monster Munch?  :P

As always, I will just put down a simple recipe for poutine.  ...But follow it up with a slight addendum!

*GASP*

Just fry up some fries, get some cheese curds or motzarella, and some nice hot dark brown gravy.

You want to put the fries in a nice deep container, preferably styrofoam or plastic.  Then drizzle the gravy onto the fries so that it gets all over all the fries and not just the top.  Then!  Spread the cheese over fries and let it melt down through the crevices.

It's so so so so so good.  I'm amazed it's unheard of outside of Canada.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Quote from: "Degolas"

Cheese and Onion or Flamin Hot Monster Munch?  :P

Dude, Cheese and Onion! Although Flamin' Hot Monster Munch do go well in a sandwich :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »

Detox Formula #9:

1 - Glass
1 - Bottle of beer that's not made in America, Canada, or the Netherlands.  (This includes Foster's: Canadian for Australian Beer!)

Pour beer in glass.  Drink.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »

Simple and Easy Ropa Viejo con Rizzo

Ingredients:

- 1 Large can Goya Black Beans (frijoles negros)
- 1 lb whole or shredded (and defrosted): pork, chicken, beef, fish (your choice)
- 1/4 cup Sriracha hot sauce (aka Chicken Chilli)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok
2. Cook the meat over high heat until it starts to brown
3. Pour the entire can of black beans in and turn down heat to medium
4. Pour in the hot sauce and then the chilli and stir evenly
5. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally to keep beans from sticking.
6. Remove from heat and serve over white rice.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »

Ingredients:

Package of Ramen
2 cups water.

Put 2 cups water into pot, bring to boil.

Put in noodles.

Cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add flavor packet, serve in bowl.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 11:21:34 PM »

Honestly you took too many steps with the Ramen. Should be as follows:

Open up package of Ramen.

Open pack of flavor and dump on Ramen.

Eat.

....Top and Maruchan taste better uncooked. However if you buy the stuff from a Korean store (if there is one in your area) then cooking is good for that type of Ramen.

I think it has something to do with the difference in noodles.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 12:55:57 AM »

Raw ramen is gross unless it's Kung-Fu brand. And the Korean brand that's most popular is Nong Shim Ramyun. It's not in fact Ramen but Ramyun (Lo Mien in Chinese). There's no real difference outside of the flavouring though. Some noodles are better quality, others are filled with far too much chemical product, but all in all, same crap.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 11:01:40 AM »

I guess it's up to me to add another good recipe that is something more than ramen.

Marinated Flank Steak with Red Pepper and Basil butter sauce

Whole Flank Steak (1.5 - 2 lbs)

For Marinade:
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
3 Cloves Peeled garlic
1/2 cup Basil leaves, tightly packed
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 Boiling water

For Compound Butter:
1/2 lb. Whole butter
1/3 cup Chopped Fresh Basil
1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 cup Finely diced canned roasted red pepper
1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

For Compound Butter:
1. Let the butter sit at room temperature to soften. Beat with a hand mixer and add the basil, line juice, diced peppers and black pepper to the softened butter. Combine well.
2. Roll it into a log shape in parchment or waxed paper. Tighten the ends and chill completely.
For Marinade:
1. Combine all ingredients for the marinade, except the water, in a blender or food processor. Add the boiling water and begin processing. Use to marinate the flank steak.
2. Reserve some for basting.

For Flank Steak:
1. Coat the flank steak with the marinade, cover and chill overnight for at least several hours.
2. Prepare and chill the compound butter.
3. Shortly before grilling the steak peel away the paper from the compound butter. Using a sharp knife dipped in hot water, cut the butter into disks; enough for one per person plus a few extra. Set them aside. Wrap the unused portion of the butter log in plastic wrap, and re-chill or freeze for future use.
4. Heat the grill to very hot. Cook the steak for 4 minutes per side for rare, or to your own liking. Brush periodically with reserved marinade.
5. Remove from grill, place on a clean cutting surface, arrange the extra butter disks on top and cover loosely with grain on the bias (on an angle) into very thin slices. Arrange the slices on plates. Place a wheel of butter on each and serve.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 11:46:56 AM »

Hey Dag, question for you.  Are your recipes ones you made up yourself?  Yes, it counts if you maybe took a basic recipe from somewhere and added your own personal touch to it.  

I love to cook, but don't always have the time to experiment with cool and interesting recipes.  My old housemate was an excellent cook.  He was the one who told me how tricky it is to cook tuna steak.  That tuna steak has to be extremely rare (very pink on the inside) or it will have an awful taste and texture.  Thing is, even the fanciest restaurants ALWAYS overcook tuna steak because people get freaked out/paranoid about the pink on the inside.  

So if you want to have a tuna steak, NEVER order one from a restaurant.  They'll ALWAYS overcook it.  Either cook one yourself or eat it at somebody's house who knows how to cook it right.  

Oh, and when I'm marinating chicken, I like to marinate it the Indian way- in plain yogurt with some black pepper.  You can use other spices to taste.  See, as a marinade, yogurt keeps the chicken tender without making it soggy, because of the live active cultures in it.  I would NEVER use a citrus marinade, because the citric acid toughens and "cooks" the fibers in the chicken meat, thus making it really tough.  I like my chicken tender when I eat it.  Citrus adds a nice flavor, but instead of using it as a marinade, I'd instead use it in, like, a lemon-butter sauce to put over the chicken and NOT cook it in the lemon.

I approve of this nonsense!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
So if you want to have a tuna steak, NEVER order one from a restaurant.  They'll ALWAYS overcook it.  Either cook one yourself or eat it at somebody's house who knows how to cook it right.  

I think it depends on where you go.  I work in a restaurant and the cooks there hate cooking meats beyond medium well.  And tuna will always be pink inside, even if its ordered well done because they refuse to cook it til the pink is gone.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Hey Dag, question for you.  Are your recipes ones you made up yourself?  Yes, it counts if you maybe took a basic recipe from somewhere and added your own personal touch to it.

A lot of the recipes I make up myself or have changed drastically from the original recipe that I saw. I love to experiment in the kitchen. The only down side now that I am married is that my wife doesn't really like spicy food, so I have to tone down most of my recipes.

I would NEVER use a citrus marinade, because the citric acid toughens and "cooks" the fibers in the chicken meat, thus making it really tough.  I like my chicken tender when I eat it.  Citrus adds a nice flavor, but instead of using it as a marinade, I'd instead use it in, like, a lemon-butter sauce to put over the chicken and NOT cook it in the lemon.

The only time I think that marinating in citrus is when you are doing fried chicken fingers. A citrus marinade with a little brown sugar is some good stuff.

Another good thing is to not marinate them and instead dip them in a mixture of cream of chicken soup and eggs. Yummy.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: