Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 01:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341162 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Activision: Brutal Legend is ours. EA: Activision is a jealous ex-husband.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Activision: Brutal Legend is ours. EA: Activision is a jealous ex-husband.  (Read 6592 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »

I'm not the biggest fan of Jack Black, but I'll still play the hell out of this. It sounds awesome.

Besides, it's being made by Tim Schafer. I ain't worried.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

Jack Black is a cartoon character in reality, so maybe his style will just make more sense in a video game.

God knows I'd hate to listen to him crack jokes all day, but if it's in the context of a video game, it might fit.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

Don't forget these will be Tim Schaefer jokes, not Jack Black jokes. Anything said by black will come from Schaefer, so I have faith it'll be awesome and funny.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:09:55 PM »

Funny thing is, I like Tennacious D, I think they're pretty clever. But I really hate Black on the silver screen, he's just obnoxious.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 09:52:12 AM »

Blabbermouth, a heavy metal news site, has reported that Ronnie James Dio was cut from the game. You might think that would suck, but they got Tim Curry to replace him. Curry has an awesome voice as anyone who has seen Legend can tell you. A voiceover like that would fit this game probably better than Dio's in sound if not in tr00ness.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 02:04:05 PM »

Yeah I was just going to post about that, but half of me suspects it was Ozzy (or his bitch wife) that made Curry drop Dio from the game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »

Speaking of Activision, they might have to stop supporting Sony: -Activision-might-have-to-stop-supporting-Sony-News--a007604-p0.php]http://www.psu.com/[UPDATE]-Activision-might-have-to-stop-supporting-Sony-News--a007604-p0.php

Activision Blizzard bigwig Bobby Kotick has warned that Sony risks losing support of the mega publisher unless it decides to issue a price cut for the PlayStation 3.

“They have to cut the price, because if they don’t, the attach rates [the number of games each console owner buys] are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony,” Kotick told the Times Online.

When prompted as to when the firm may consider dropping support for Sony, the executive added: “When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too.”

“Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation,” he said.

Kotick went on to say that his company forked out $500 million to Sony in royalties and other goods back in 2008, which he said “probably still worked out at 400 percent of the profit they made”.

Sony Europe has since commented: “We respect our third-parties’ opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story."

Meanwhile, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter also chipped in, accusing Kotick of 'bluffing.' “Of course Bobby’s bluffing, and good for him,” he said in a phone interview.

“I think Bobby’s obviously interested in Sony selling as many PS3s as they possibly can, and he’s not happy with their penetration so far. I think he favours a price cut, and would rather see one sooner than later.”

Activision = Lol

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 05:15:13 PM »

Ruling delayed on `Brutal Legend' release

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY (AP) – 1 hour ago

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — A judge said Thursday said he is not inclined to delay the release of "Brutal Legend," a heavily marketed video game starring Jack Black, but delayed arguments and a formal ruling for one week.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan said during a brief hearing that his tentative ruling was to deny a motion by gaming giant Activision to delay the game's October release. He rescheduled arguments on the motion until Aug. 6 because his court calendar was full and to allow attorneys to fully argue their positions.

Activision sued the game's developer, Double Fine Productions in June and asked a judge to stop the release by rival firm Electronic Arts. Activision claims it owns the game's rights and has invested nearly $15 million in the project.

Double Fine countersued earlier this month, claiming Activision breached its contract with the firm and is only trying to protect its popular "Guitar Hero" franchise.

"Brutal Legend" features Black as a heavy-metal roadie transported to a mythical ancient world to fight evil. It has been heavily marketed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo and on gaming Web sites. An attorney for Electronic Arts told Karlan on Thursday that the company has spent millions of dollars already promoting the game.

Double Fine is scheduled to deliver a final version of the game to Electronic Arts on Aug. 8, an attorney for the company said Thursday. Karlan pledged to have his final ruling available so as not to delay that any longer than necessary.

He told attorneys for Activision that he had several reasons why he was leaning against ordering the release of the game delayed, one of them being he wasn't sure they would win.

"I can't say there's a likelihood of success here," he said.

The judge, however, said it didn't appear that either side had an upper hand in the case.

"This is going to be a close call," Karlan said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...wtjfwD99OV7VG2

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »

Settled, but details aren't released.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/08/06/arts/AP-US-Games-Brutal-Legend-Lawsuit.html?_r=1

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

ALL PROFITS GO TO ACTIVISION

Seriously, unless it really is something similar to that then I'm glad they got this sorted out before the game could've gotten delayed or worse.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »

ALL PROFITS GO TO ACTIVISION

Not quite.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ettlement.html

A person familiar with the settlement, who requested not to be identified because the details are being kept confidential, confirmed that Brutal Legend would be released in October, as Electronic Arts had previously planned. The settlement ends all litigation involving Double Fine, EA and Activision over the game.

The person noted that the settlement came together in the last week after the judge in L.A. County Superior Court in Santa Monica said last Thursday that he was strongly inclined to rule against Activision's motion to stop the game's release.

Though the person declined to disclose any details of the settlement, it appears very likely that Activision received little to no compensation from Double Fine and agreed to a settlement to avoid losing its case in open court.

Hurray for mighty blue justice!

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »

Brutal Legend's soundtrack: http://kotaku.com/5333045/ea-denmark-drops-brutal-legends-complete-soundtrack

Damn, there are some good bands on there. Granted there is also some shit, but I never thought I'd see some of those bands in a video game. Then again, I really don't know what's on Rock Band or Guitar Hero, so most of them could already be in games for all I know.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:39:58 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »

I literally did a double take when I saw Rotting Christ on a video game soundtrack.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: