Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 09:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331424 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recommend a Horror Film!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Recommend a Horror Film!  (Read 7190 times)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »

Prior to my years as an adult, I abhorred horror films for their incessant ability in instilling perpetuating fear. I'd have nightmares, become too apprehensive of the noises I'd regularly dismiss in my household. . . Until I met a group of friends who began brainwashing me and increasing my tolerance for horror films. Now I'm addicted.

Granted, I still have the same responses. But my anticipation is irrational, and I'm somewhat masochistic - imagine a kid watching a horror film, covering their eyes but peaking through that ever-so-willing crack.

Anyways. Suggest some good horror films, some extremely cheesy and horrible horror films (Feast) so I can continue my path into odd indulgence. Or - I suppose it could pertain to others' interests, since this is a public thread anyway.

I'm currently on Hellraiser IV, and I'm looking for some horror films in the realm of Hellraiser, Puppet Master, Children of the Corn, Descent-ish movies.

I've never seen any of the Halloween movies  . .   I've seen Swamp Thing - don't know exactly if it was categorized as horror, but it was unsettling to me!!!.

Plus. I like italics. Kthx.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

Cheesy: Dead Alive
Cheesy: Evil Dead
Good: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »

When it comes to scary movies, I'm not a fan of slasher or torture films.  So you won't see me anywhere near Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw.  And when it comes to monster movies, I go for the cheesy ones.  I'm a massive Godzilla fan (I did a musical comedy project with a friend that we named Godzilla Vs. The Smurfs.)  And few monster movies are cheesier than The Hideous Sun Demon which the director himself spoofed later on. 

However my favorite scary films are usually Alfred Hitchcock suspense films.  I loved Vertigo.  Psycho and The Birds are more heart-pounding scary, but Vertigo is a fantastic movie and supremely creepy.

I'm not a big horror buff, but my friends who are swear by Italian horror films such as Suspiria.  I've never seen, but I trust my friends. 

The Exorcist still gives me nightmares just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:50:50 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

28 Days Later is a modern classic. I loved it. I thought 28 Weeks Later was horrible. It got rid of everything that made Days Later a classic.

Boomerang Flash Z
Ragu O' Ragula Slayer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

Cheesy: Dead Alive
Cheesy: Evil Dead
Good: 28 Days/Weeks Later

I gotta agree.  Dead Alive.  I heard about it a while ago and watched it.  Wow.  It's more humorous than scary though.

"I am the Grim Reaper's pen pal!  The ultimate macho man!"  ~Zed

"Do you think you can defeat a god?" ~Dhaos
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »

If we're talking hilarious and scary, the first thing that comes to my mind is Shaun of the Dead.  That was a cool movie.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Boomerang Flash Z
Ragu O' Ragula Slayer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »

If we're talking hilarious and scary, the first thing that comes to my mind is Shaun of the Dead.  That was a cool movie.

Oh!  I completely forgot about Shawn of the Dead.  (Hits self in the head).  That is a great movie.  After watching it, I could not wait to see Hot Fuzz.  Hot Fuzz is a good one too.  But not scary.  Nice sugesstion, Dincrest.

"I'm sorry, Shawn."

"I am the Grim Reaper's pen pal!  The ultimate macho man!"  ~Zed

"Do you think you can defeat a god?" ~Dhaos
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

oooo, your in my territory now. The wife and I LOVE horror movies and have watched tons of them. Lots of bad ones. Lots of cheesy ones. Very few really good ones, sadly.  I'll mention a few I'd recommend.

Session 9 - I liked the slow burn of this one. good stuff
The Car - cheesy, yet oddly creepy as well
Teeth - cheesy but fun. Where do you think the teeth are?
Slither - fun and cheesy. reminded me of PJ s earlier movies like Dead Alive and Bad Taste. Which in turn reminds me mention The Frighteners. Totally overlooked when it came out.
The Host - Korean movie. a weird mix of a monster movie with a message.
Black Sheep - another goofy one. Killer freakin' sheep my man.

I may have to come back to this thread if I think of any more.
Have fun!

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »

The original Halloween is still the king so if you haven't seen that go find it. Totally worth it (it's out on blu-ray now as well, and cheap at that). Like I said earlier, 28 Days Later is the best horror film I have seen in a very long time. Shaun of the Dead is pretty good too. Avoid any of the current remakes like the plague (both Halloween and Friday the 13th suck, and they are currently working on A Nigthmare on Elm Street...freakin Michael Bay).

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:16:03 AM »

Not cheesy at all, but get a copy of .Rec. It's a Spanish horror (remade in America as Quarantine), and it bloody terrified me. In a good way.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »

Gingerdead Man.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

I always thought Stay Alive was quite cheesy.

If you haven't seen the original (therefore Thai) version of Shutter, it's well worth checking out. Pretty creepy.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »

I've heard of Quarantine, but I don't think I've seen it in stores.

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later I've heard myths about. Supposedly, the response to watching the movie is to create a Zombie Invasion Plan. Haha. I'm going to compile all your suggestions and go for the cheaper ones first! Thanks :D
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 04:59:15 PM »

How about Evil Bong? I saw it at blockbuster once and although I haven't seen it myself, I can assure you it'll be awesomely bad:P.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

When it comes to scary movies, I'm not a fan of slasher or torture films.  So you won't see me anywhere near Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw.

While Saw is quite gory (It's also incredibly stupid and convoluted), as I recall The Texas Chainsaw Massacre really didn't have that much gore, despite its name. The first one didn't, anyway.

Another vote for Halloween here, definately.

Here's a couple that I love that immediately come to mind:
Silence of the Lambs
Alien
Seven
Jaws (Arguable if this is horror or not)
Fallen
Identity
The Omen
The Shining
The Thing (1982)

Of course there's still the king of horror films, The Exorcist. That one's...well, you have to see it for yourself.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:08:25 PM by Hathen » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: