Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334603 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fantasy RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Fantasy RPGs?  (Read 8902 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »

I'm not really sure what your point is, but you either misunderstood me or I screwed up in communicating (I did screw up and said "can" when I meant "can't"), but what I meant is that I'd find it interesting to play in a setting where magic simply doesn't exist, and there isn't an alternative that serves the same exact purpose. The Fallout titles managed it, so it's certainly possible, but may not work as well with JRPG design without being changed to barely fall under the genre. Anyways, this applies more towards modern and sci-fi settings than fantasy, though having fantasy settings with low or no magic can be interesting. Especially if your characters are not, in fact, the lucky ones with access to it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:25:38 AM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2009, 02:53:05 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:45:39 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17:32 AM »

Hah, I never said the D&D magic system was efficient.  It has complexity and depth, but it has a huge learning curve and it's difficult to use on the fly.  Since you want a game that's limited to a handful of "useful" spells, you're obviously aiming in the opposite direction from me.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:30 AM »

Speaking of efficiency... none of the stats in SD2 apparently did anything, and the gameplay didn't suffer at all. Which makes me think that that was the intended design and the stats screen was something they forgot to remove.

In general I don't think more stats == more depth, or more skills == more depth. Especially in regards to skills, I only want them if they're tied to letting the player do something new. Lots of wholly passive skills are boring.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

I find myself attracted to stat-heavy games, and I usually go for the passive skills first when I have a choice.  It's probably the joy of decrypting the system and figuring out which skills are best.  It's somewhat less enjoyable when the effects are hidden or overly complex, i.e., most Final Fantasy games.  I like it best when I can sit down, run numbers through my head, and figure out what's best in a given situation without having to consult an online guide.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:45:29 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

SMT:N was actually pretty good about that, in regards to cost v. effectiveness. I mean, in regards to your main dude, switching from agi to like, agilao eventually is probably a good idea just because of limited spell slots, but you'll usually want to keep both the single and multiple hit form of a spell around at the same time for MP management.

Although that game was built entirely around elemental weaknesses really.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Edmond3

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »

just fyi, skies of arcadia rules

so thanks for that, everyone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: