Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332727 Posts in 13632 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of Last Generation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of Last Generation?  (Read 36157 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »

I'd say Vesperia is worse than both (for my money). It has fantastic graphics and minimal load times, but the plot is non-existant and the pace drags. It has great characters though and fantastic voice acting. Gameplay is basically the same.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »

I would personally say that the gameplay of Vesperia is a little deeper, what with the special color-coded critical attack thingies and the more fighter-like block stuns and attack lags.  But that's just me.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »

I personally hate Vesperia's battle system compared to Symphonia and Abyss. They made it a bigger pain in the ass to use Overlimits. The Burst Artes and Fatal Strikes aren't much help, since they do the same damage against bosses as regular artes do.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »

I'd say Vesperia is worse than both (for my money). It has fantastic graphics and minimal load times, but the plot is non-existant and the pace drags. It has great characters though and fantastic voice acting. Gameplay is basically the same.

Wait, you didn't think Abyss dragged on too much? That game was the epitome of backtracking and pissed me off to no end.

I personally hate Vesperia's battle system compared to Symphonia and Abyss. They made it a bigger pain in the ass to use Overlimits. The Burst Artes and Fatal Strikes aren't much help, since they do the same damage against bosses as regular artes do.

How was it a bigger pain to use overlimit?

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2009, 11:00:02 AM »

In TotA, all you had to do was push R2. It ToV, you have to get to Overlimit Level 3, activate it, have all the necessary BS to use it(certain skills and the item needed to get OL lvl 3), and then hope your attempt doesn't get disrupted by the boss before you use it.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »

What skills do you need for OL level 3? All you needed was the item (which was easy to get anyway). If you're talking about the Mystic Artes, then it's pointless because they were overpowered as hell in Abyss.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

Yeah, Mystic Artes was what I was talking about. Still, ToV made it a bigger pain just to do anything battlewise in my opinion.
Boomerang Flash Z
Ragu O' Ragula Slayer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »

I liked Tales of Vesperia way more than Tales of the Abyss.  But both do have their faults in ways, but I agree with the protagonists in Vesperia being a lot better than the previous title.  Good thing Luke wasn't in it.  Oops! :)

"I am the Grim Reaper's pen pal!  The ultimate macho man!"  ~Zed

"Do you think you can defeat a god?" ~Dhaos
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »

I liked Luke. He was kind of annoying, but he actually had a personality. Unlike the rest of the cast.

Ooooooooooh ice burn.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

Somehow I really really liked the plot of Abyss, for some reason the whole game just felt a lot more polished than any other tales game.  Yes, totA is the best tales game out there IMHO.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »

I liked Luke. He was kind of annoying, but he actually had a personality. Unlike the rest of the cast.

Luke is the main reason why I liked Abyss more than any of the other Tales games.  Lots of interesting ideas concerned him and, for better or worse, he has a lot of character growth.  But yeah, the whole backtracking phase near the end of the game was a PITA.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks the Shadow Hearts series is kind of mediocre?  It has had plenty of good ideas, but none of them seem to be executed all that well.  The story was really inconsistent from game to game (first game being very dark & occult centered, SH2 being a more traditional JRPG plot, and SH3 being practically parody) & the combat has always felt very unbalanced.

Actually, given the fact SH:C was the only game of the series with decent sales, I think your opinion is in the majority.  The series had some major flaws (notably SH:C's ridiculously easy fights), but the strengths of the series outweighed them for me.  Though for one thing I never really thought that the original SH was dark so much as it was an amusing parody of horror, so for me the series was just one long running gag.  Also, as a history major, seeing a series take place in a wildly bizarre alternate history Earth made it interesting to see what kind of weird crap the games could come up with (something that I may have likewise enjoyed in the Far East of Eden series).  And last but not least, Yuri is my favorite JRPG character, so that helped me overlook a lot of the issues.  Characters in general were interesting if usually underdeveloped.
I agree with this post somewhat, I guess, but SH1 is definitely the superior game of the series. I'm not sure what's with the hate for the series or the underappreciation. I thought the Judgment Ring was the most innovative combat system to ever come out of the last-gen jRPGs, and the soundtracks consistently were better than their competition in so many respects. The games may not have the best graphics (though I enjoyed FTNW's graphical presentation over say, FFXII), or the best plots (outside of SH1's gem of a plotline, that really is better than everything else on the market besides SMT: Nocturne), but I would say they are still the only other RPG series that was worth a damn last gen, the other being any SMT-related title.
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2009, 01:28:28 AM »

KOTOR 1 hands down the best RPG of last generation and easily in the running for one of the best games; let alone RPG's of all time.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »

Somehow I really really liked the plot of Abyss, for some reason the whole game just felt a lot more polished than any other tales game.

Okay what. Am I the only person that had problems with incredibly long load times, and the map camera being way, way too slow to rotate? (Having timed both, it takes a full 14-20 seconds to rotate the map 360 degrees, IIRC. FFVII takes 5-6, and some more modern RPGs with rotatable world maps are even like, half that. Specific rotate rate in and of itself isn't a big issue, but it should rotate about as fast as your character can move forward. It wans't anywhere near quick enough in Abyss. Additionally, load times were... about 6 seconds in and out, and battles lasted about 8-12 seconds for me on average. So huge problem there. Maybe would've been alleviated if enemies in dungeons never respawned but I seem to recall a lot of them respawning or something. Or maybe that was just that haunted house dungeon).

And even then there were some fairly obvious bugs. Like that thing with the overworld music breaking after the sewer escape.

Also sidequests that were easy to break.

I'm not sure I'd consider glitchiness to be polish :|

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

sakuragen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:44 PM »

Dreamcast = 1. Grandia II (got the US version with the soundtrack  :)   )  2. Phantasy Star Online 3. Timestalkers
Playstation 2 = 1. Persona 4    2. Altier Iris (series)    3. La Pucelle; Tactics   (could have easily named twenty PS2 rpg's!!!!!)
GBA = 1. Golden Sun (series)  2. Kingdom Heart; Chain of Memories    3. Fire Emblem
GB Color = 1. Dragon Warrior III   2. Dragon Warrior I+II   3. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: