Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327662 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of Last Generation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of Last Generation?  (Read 35768 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

4 pages and not a single mention of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?  I would think somebody would've put KOTOR up there in their lists. 

That's because only a few others besides me like WRPGs on the boards.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »

A lot of people might just be overlooking it! It was definitely one of the best last generation, I just forgot to bring it up for some reason. But then DQVIII/Nocturne are my favorites last generation, and I didn't make a list of the games I really liked from last generation. KotOR's definitely in the top 5 though, if not in third place.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »

4 pages and not a single mention of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?  I would think somebody would've put KOTOR up there in their lists. 
Did someone send out a memo allowing us to not shun WRPGs? Because, yes, KoTOR is awesome. Jade Empire deserves a shout-out, too, even if it's not as good as KoTOR.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:51:16 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

I don't like WRPG's.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

Does Icewind Dale II count as last gen? 'Cause that's pretty much the only WRPG that would make my list. I also used to love Morrowind but I'm not sure it's aged well.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »

Actually scratch that, I kind of liked Septerra Core.  But that's OOOOOLLLLDDD and not really relevant to this discussion.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »

The funny thing is that I prefer a good, solid storyline for an RPG to be great and I'm not saying Nocturne's storyline wasn't good but it was very simplified.  The game never really tells you where to go, it's just like here's the situation figure it out. 

Nocturne's story isn't "simple", they just show you it instead of drowning you in WORDSWORDSWORDS like most other JRPG's do.

I'd be willing to say that Nocturne's story is far more complex, solid, and deep than 90% of JRPG's out there, period.  And it's probably higher than that, like 95 or 97%.

I didn't really intend to say that Nocturne had a 'simple' storyline, just that the way it was presented was very simple.  I look at things from a different view point then you though.  Nocturne can be as complex as you make it, it has all kinds of philosophical references and things to ponder, but for the average gamer it's not big and shiny like Final Fantasy is.  It doesn't spoonfeed you or hold your hand like most JRPG's do, it's very simplified in the fact that it doesn't specifically tell you where to go or what to do, your overall goal is very vague but at the same time very clear - recreate the world in your own image.  Nothing about the game ever seemed complex or deep to me, but it was definitely solid the whole way through.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »

I don't like Star Wars at all.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »

We have a new feature posting soon on the best RPG of last Generation (see XBOX, PS2, GC, Dreamcast).

What do you think will win?

JP

The list didn't include PC games, and many if not most WRPG's debut on PC.  I thought that was intentional (PC games are difficult to categorize by generation).

Favorite game of all time: Baldur's Gate II.  Not sure what generation that falls under.  The Witcher and Neverwinter Nights 2 were also solid.

Atlus has to be very careful about how it spends it's money.  If they printed a bunch of Nocturne copies and they -didn't- sell, they'd be up the creek.  It's safer to just not print extra copies of old niche games and focus on something new.  The fact that the last reprint sold well doesn't mean that another reprint will; first off the e-Bay resellers will likely lose interest and try to cut their losses, and with the flood of titles from THAT it's less likely that the few people left who want a copy will actually buy an Atlus-produced reprint.

The niche game market isn't so simple as you seem to think.

I'm pretty sure reprinting is a lot cheaper than localizing a new game.  Video games have a huge overhead cost (development), and a relatively small per item cost (distribution of CDs with a case and maybe a fancy box).  Not to mention the cost of keeping unsold games in inventory has to be pretty cheap compared to more bulky items like say, a stack of lumber.  You'd think maximizing sales (with the high per item profit given the low cost of materials per item) would be a high enough priority that printing a few extra copies that may not sell would be a pretty minor risk.

With the next generation of downloadable games already arriving, hopefully game collecting will no longer be profitable.  IMO, collectors are the enemies of niche video game fans everywhere.  Nothing worse than taking multiple copies of a game out of circulation to sit on a shelf until fans are desperate enough to pay any price.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:50:15 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »

I didn't know Skies of Arcadia was so widely acclaimed in the community. I might have to give my copy of Legends another chance. I remember trying it for a couple hours and not liking how random battles took long (watching them run up to the enemy, whack them, and then run back to their spot). Things like that irk me.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »

The first few hours of Skies of Arcadia kind of don't go anywhere yeah.

The list didn't include PC games, and many if not most WRPG's debut on PC.  I thought that was intentional (PC games are difficult to categorize by generation).

You can kind of do it based around system requirements and game-style trends, but yeah. It's easiest just to arbitrarily define a new generation of PC games as starting every five years. So like, 1980-1985-1990-1995-2000-2005-2010. Etc.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 08:57:54 PM »

I like WRPGs but KOTOR just really wasn't my thing.  It was my favorite Star Wars game (NOT saying a lot), but there were significant issues I had with the game.

Anyway, since I haven't chimed in yet, I'm going to say Shadow Hearts: Covenant.  Not because it was my favorite RPG of the last generation, but because I get all sad and nostalgic whenever I think about how there will never be another Shadow Hearts.  Uniqueness is destined for failure with RPGs, I suppose.  My real picks would be Persona 4 (which doesn't count because it's so recent) and Persona 3: FES (The Journey only).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »

The funny thing is that I prefer a good, solid storyline for an RPG to be great and I'm not saying Nocturne's storyline wasn't good but it was very simplified.  The game never really tells you where to go, it's just like here's the situation figure it out. 

Nocturne's story isn't "simple", they just show you it instead of drowning you in WORDSWORDSWORDS like most other JRPG's do.

I'd be willing to say that Nocturne's story is far more complex, solid, and deep than 90% of JRPG's out there, period.  And it's probably higher than that, like 95 or 97%.

I didn't really intend to say that Nocturne had a 'simple' storyline, just that the way it was presented was very simple.  I look at things from a different view point then you though.  Nocturne can be as complex as you make it, it has all kinds of philosophical references and things to ponder, but for the average gamer it's not big and shiny like Final Fantasy is.  It doesn't spoonfeed you or hold your hand like most JRPG's do, it's very simplified in the fact that it doesn't specifically tell you where to go or what to do, your overall goal is very vague but at the same time very clear - recreate the world in your own image.  Nothing about the game ever seemed complex or deep to me, but it was definitely solid the whole way through.

I dunno, man.  I mean, I'd consider a game where they had to handhold you through everything to be the more simplistic one.  Generally speaking, the greatest novels of all time have been the ones where the true meaning isn't easy to discern unless you really think about it.  or try telling a film critic that 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't a deep movie because it didn't just tell you what it's about upfront.

So in the same way, I'd consider Nocturne's story to be very, very deep; whereas a Final Fantasy that screams it's plot in your face is not.  But that's just me.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »

Actually scratch that, I kind of liked Septerra Core.  But that's OOOOOLLLLDDD and not really relevant to this discussion.

Septerra Core? I have the laying around in my basement under old relics... I should boot it up and finish the blasted game.

In regards to KOTOR, I overlooked that game by a long shot. The game was fun because I was the biggest jerk in the galaxy... if there was an option to kill or extort someone, I was there force choking them and picking their wallet.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: