Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327183 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPG of Last Generation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG of Last Generation?  (Read 35739 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »

I did not like SO3 at all.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:16:56 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »

Once again, I find the personal top fives more interesting than the overall top 10.  A lot of the games people want to see are in some editors' top fives.

This this this.

There are quite a few unranked games that staff members have acknowledged. Neal with his Ever17, Pat with Baten Kaitos Origins, myself with Disgaea, etc.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »

Can't argue with that overall list too much, although I know the choice of FFX will piss off some people big time. I'm pleasantly surprised with how well DDS did in those lists - I thought it was somewhat overlooked in the past, but I guess it came out in the end.

Of course, the guy who put three Xenosaga games in his list...
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »

Star Ocean 3 and FFXII are utter tripe.  They have no place on the list, given that Nocturne and Shadow Hearts aren't on it at all.  I'd also argue that FFX doesn't really belong that high on the list either.

And no Suikoden?  Boo.  Suikoden is the best series of RPG's ever, IMO, and S3 and 5 being beaten out by SO3 of all things makes my head hurt.  :(

And as a complaint for complaining's sake, DDS winning over Nocturne seems a little silly to me.  DDS is great and all, and certainly deserves a spot on the list, but it's set up so much like a generic RPG and kills off a lot of what makes Megaten games special that it feels weird to see it ranked higher than Nocturne.

@Sketch: The problem people have with them, I think, is that some of these titles being mentioned are really good games that only got mentioned -once-.  I can only talk for myself, but even though Nocturne, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden were all mentioned at least once by somebody, those games were good enough that I personally feel I should have seen them mentioned more than just once.

It's like writing a list of the best classic films and not having Citizen Kane on the list.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:55 AM »

What you're saying is actually making me very curious about something. I think it would be an interesting experiment/feature/whatever if we "officially" (as opposed to "lol im posting on tha message boards") tallied up reader votes, and compared those results to what the editors have come up with.

More input = broader results?
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »

And no Suikoden?  Boo.  Suikoden is the best series of RPG's ever, IMO, and S3 and 5 being beaten out by SO3 of all things makes my head hurt.  :(

I thought Suikoden V was pretty boring personally. That's my only venture into the Suikoden series, and it's probably going to stay that way. Everything about was so... bland. I was glad when I finally sold it.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »

I thought Suikoden V was very boring also, and I love old school games.

FFX didn't make my top 5 (it would have been 7th or 8th).

DQVIII Not being #1 (or at least 2) is a damn tragedy.

P3 bored me at the 6 hour mark, but it's not meant for a gamer like me,

JP
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2009, 10:37:08 AM »

I was happy to see P3 at nš1 (it deserves to be on the list instead of the sequel because P4 merely perfected the formula) but I wish you guys had reserved a place for Nocturne. SO3? KH2? Bah!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

Suikoden 5 is one of my favorites in the series; my only complaint was that they went too hardcore on character recruitment.  Suikoden needs to follow the S2/3 model, not the S1 model.  Making characters only available for recruitment in tiny timeframes (At least when they are not blatantly obvious to find *cough*Nakula*cough*) is not the way to go.

I'm surprised to see people calling it boring.  Most Suikoden fans agree that in terms of overall quality, it's second only to Suikoden 2.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »

I'm actually the one who put Suikoden V on their list.  Anyway, I think people's problem with it and I will agree to some extent was V took some time to get started.  The beginning was sort of drawn out, before you could really get to good the stuff.  I always tell people if they can make it past the slow beginning, the game definitely picks up.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with several of the choices.  Not a single person voted for Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, an extremely unique and well done game that is one of the few videogames in any genre that I would consider an honest to goodness piece of art?  Sad.  The absence of SMT:Nocturne (probably the best gameplay of any JRPG to date combined with one of the most daring plots ever) & relative absence of Persona 4 (even you live in some bizarro world where you liked P3 better, not having P4 on the top 10 list at all is ludicrous) was also sad.

I guess my main problem with lists like this is the criteria is too vague.  Are you choosing games based on their impact for their time or for their enjoyability even today?

Of the top 10 list, there are only 3 games that I'd actually play today (Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy 10, and DDS2).  Star Ocean 3 has a drastically better newer version out (Star Ocean 4), same with Knights of the Old Republic (Mass Effect), and Persona 3:FES (Persona 4).  Skies of Arcadia was fun the first time, but I could never replay it due to the weak & slow gameplay.  FF12 was an abomination (it perfectly captures the feel of a standard MMORPG but in 1P mode...great!), Kingdom Hearts isn't my thing, same with Xenosaga 3 (which, to its credit, I thought was a lot better than 1-2).

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »

FF12 was an abomination (it perfectly captures the feel of a standard MMORPG but in 1P mode...great!),

Wait, wait. I have to object to this. Diablo 2 and PSO are both fairly similar games that are... MMO-ish, event hough they're not MASSIVELY multiplayer but more like small-team multiplayer but you get the drift. I liked D2 more because I thought PSO's random dungeon generator was hella off, and I DO NOT AGREE WITH HAVING TO KILL EVERYTHING IN A ROOM TO CONTINUE THIS IS TEDIOUS AND BAD GRR. But I liked them both pretty well. I also think I'd really like an offline, single player Ultima Online type game, although, I admit, that'd just be Ultima 7 with a skill system, but uh... nothing wrong with that.

So FFXII CLEARLY can't have the feeling of a standard MMORPG in 1P mode or otherwise I might've liked it more. So, why isn't it?

* Well, maybe I'm wrong about this, but did the game have any interesting treasures, rare drops, or just cool stuff to find lying about? Did it have collectible sets of armor or unique weapons that got dropped by enemies? To the best of my knowledge, it didn't. The loot kind of sucked. Did you even find weapons, in general, in chests?

* UO was pretty interactive and all of it's skills were linked to stuff you could do. Was FFXII all that interactive? Well, again, not really. And was there a lot of stuff you could do? Again, not really. You could kill things, I guess, but even then -- even just looking at the combat only skills -- the things you had were pretty limitted compared to most other FF games. D2, for that matter, had some nice skill trees.

* PSO and D2 both had really unique character classes with very different abilities, leading to replay value and group dynamics.

* Finally, there's no crafting, fishing, or mining. All of which are pretty standard now in MMOs, all of which are pretty cool to have, and all of which should really be present in more 1P games.

So, I guess FFXII is like a single player clone of an MMO, only without all the features that in theory make MMOs fun.

(Not trying to be combative with the person I'm quoting, by the way. My point is that I agree with them, honestly, it's just that FFXII is a rather feature-poor game. I don't hate it or anything [although I'd argue that the writing was damned odd] but I got bored with it because of the lack of features. Maybe features isn't the best word to use. What I mean is there wasn't a lot to do, I found).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:15:26 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »

Suikoden 5 had a slow start, yeah, but it picks up so quickly after that that I don't understand how you could find it boring and dull at that point.

Not a single person voted for Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, an extremely unique and well done game that is one of the few videogames in any genre that I would consider an honest to goodness piece of art?  Sad.

I liked BoF:DQ too, but even I have to admit it isn't really a "Top 10" kind of game.  There is a lot of great things about it, but there were a lot of problems too.  On a top 20 list though?  It had better be on there.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:50:43 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »

Everyone on staff like Star Ocean 3? Really?

Now that it sounds more like the top 10 was compiled from the individual top 5s, I think this is a case of Blace overestimating how much people cared for it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: