Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334413 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite game that reviews/people hated
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite game that reviews/people hated  (Read 14162 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Parasite Eve still ranks as one of my alltime favorite games, despite people complaining about its lack of length and it supposedly being too linear.

I second that. IMO, Parasite Eve is still the best game Square ever released. <3

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »

I kinda enjoyed Secret of Evermore and I have heard that it got bad ratings.

And if you don't mind me saying a game that got great reviews but I didn't like (and is not an RPG), God of War did not live up to anything near the hype it recieved.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »

There are far more games I don't like that everyone else does than games I do like that no one else does.

Devil May Cry 3, kingdom hearts, ff6,7,8, I could all do without.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 07:37:45 PM »

Legend of Dragoon is really the only one I can think of, and if I remember correctly, it was received as a fairly mediocre game. Most thought the battle system was poor I think, but I liked it. Of course this is coming from someone who loves games that require timing and reflexes to play them. But I'll admit that the rest of the game, aside from the FMVs, was meh.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 08:00:12 PM »

I am surprised to hear Parasite Eve was poorly received. What about it's sequel?
I think Dragon Quarter is misrated. But I do think we need some sort of parameter here. Are we talking about games we loved but passed as mediocre - you know, 75/80 - or good games that were really trashed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 08:05:22 PM »

I think it's both, though I assume by 'good games that were trashed', you mean the magazines and sites loved it, but a lot of people didn't.

Personally, for the latter, I'd have to say FFVIII, CC, and SuikIII are my faves. Hell, I can't even pinpoint why I like FFVIII at /all/ but I had a lot of fun with the game for some reason.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »

The biggest one that comes to mind with me is Star Ocean 3. I loved the battle system and didn't think the AI was horrible.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »

I guess SO3 could technically count for me, except my likes and dislikes are the same as those that most people seem to have for it. It's just that I think the good combat is enough to make it worthwhile while others disagree. :P
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »

I second the comment about Legend of Dragoon, I really enjoyed that game.

And I'm not sure if it technically counts as an rpg, but I really liked the original Dark Cloud too.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 10:30:49 PM »

Vay.

Everyone sees it as mediocre but me. :( I guess I am touched.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 10:55:40 PM »

Legend of Dragoon gets another vote from me.

The translation is pretty rocky, but everything else to me was pretty solid, especially the battle system. I never really had any problems with it :P
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 01:36:25 AM »

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - The story starts out slow, but after witnessing some the events that took place early on, I had to finish it.  The battle system was fun to play; turn-based, action-oriented, and strategic at the same time.

Drakengard 2 - Much improved gameplay over the first, great story connections, the theme song is just beautiful, and a climactic ending boss fight.  Everything that I wished for, happened, whether it was fights or story events.  I love this game and the prequel.

Xenosaga Episode II - I just didn't like the focus on Rubedo's story.  Other than that, I loved the game including the battle system.

Finished RPG Count: 90
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 02:47:01 AM »

Star Ocean 3 and Secret of Evermore are my favorite black sheep. The former, while having a lame plot tiwst, at least had story continuously flowing, and the AI was actually pretty good for me. Secret of Evermore got a bad rep because it was a "ripoff" of Secret of Mana. Is Final Fantasy VIII a ripoff of Final Fantasy VII? Maybe it's something I missed. Anyway, I had a good time with that one because I played it with good friends that I haven't seen in years. It was also the first game that got me paying attemtion to game music.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 06:14:02 AM »

FFVIII for me as well. I never understood why people didn't like this game as much as the others.  I think it's EASILY better than IX and just as good as VII or X.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GoD
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 07:28:02 AM »

Legend Of Mana
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: