Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:06:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327682 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite game that reviews/people hated
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite game that reviews/people hated  (Read 13485 times)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »

Final Fantasy VIII, SaGa Frontier II (I truly love this game), Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross are the ones that come to my mind right now.
Damn many people come and say "Chrono Cross is the shittiest sequel to the best game ever" but I disagree. Chrono Cross was awesome, Chrono Trigger is a fun game but full of plot holes, typical from a game involving time travel. Chrono Cross managed to continue the saga covering some of these holes without making 100 more. Fact is that its plot is rather complex comparing to its predecessor (sp?). The only real bad thing I could say about CC is the fact many of its playable characters have little development during the course of the game.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 11:47:19 AM »

Loved:
Wild Arms 2 (my favorite of the series)
Legend of Mana

Like:
The Legend of Legia series
Romancing Saga
Metal Saga

Okay:
Tales of Legendia wasn't that bad.  It wasn't great, but I don't think it deserves the hate.  

So basically games with Legend or Saga in the title.  

I also have to say that I loved the Xenogears battle system.  It seems to get a lot of hate from people.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »

I liked Secret of Evermore, also. Wasn't it made in America or something? I think that was the reason it wasn't well received.

Hell, I even liked FF: Mystic Quest. Mostly for the great soundtrack, though.

I agree with Lucca about Vay. Liked it alot.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »

I don't know how hated Magna Carta is, but looking at some of the reviews it certainly isn't a highly thought of game from a reviewer's aspect.  It had it's flaws but I still loved it enough to put it in my top-10 favorites.

I see people mention Tales of Legendia, and although it seems more like people found it average, I thought it was the best Tales game I've played (out of Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, and Legendia), which certainly isn't the popular opinion.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »

Hm, was Chrono Cross really that badly recieved by the fans? I seem to remeber it getting pretty high scores from reviews (it's one of like four Perfect Tens on Gamespot). I love that game, so I guess I'll have to add it to my list.

The same goes for Breath of Fire V. I remember it being well recieved, and haven't really heard all that many people say they hate it.

Also, I like Xenogears' Disc 2, unlike almost everyone else, apparently :P
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 04:38:10 PM »

I also consider Chrono Cross one of the best RPGs of all time. While most people gave it very high scores and the game sold well in Japan, Chrono Cross was less than well received by a lot of Chrono Trigger fans who expected something more along the lines of a direct sequel than something like Chrono Cross.
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »

Tales of destiny: many people don,t like this game, the graphic,s have manyyy battles, so quick but battles then all , and the history is very normal, but i love this game xD, was my first tales of who i played.
Legend of dragoon : another vote for this black sheep, very very linear but great history, only the music... don,t like it >_>

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »

I /do/ consider Chrono Cross a poor sequel to CT, and there was a certain... Something it lacked that CT had, and feels empty in a sense compared to that. However, for what it was I thought it was great, and that most people had just decided to take a polarized 'doesn't live up to CT = it fucking sucks' rather than taking it for what it was. 'sides, I liked the story even if the pacing was shit. :P

Edit: And there are way worse sequels than CC out there anyway - at least CC established it's own identity and sought to do something different, rather than using the exact same formula as CT but ultimately being a pale imitation of the original.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 06:10:11 PM »

That's the problem, you can't please everybody. If you create a direct sequel and change little as far as the system is concerned, some people will accuse the developer of a lack of innovation. If you however try to do something new, other people will complain exactly about this new direction or new features (this also applies to Final Fantasy VIII for instance). You definitely have a point there, Eusis. A lot of people apparently could not take Chrono Cross for what it was. And given that series mastermind Masato Katou has made it pretty clear in a number of interviews that he did not intend to create a Chrono Trigger 2, but wanted to take the series into a different direction with Chrono Cross, that was expectable.

Personally I found Chrono Cross a great sequel/new series installment. On the other hand, I really liked games like Parasite Eve and MediEvil, but I found both games' sequels mediocre at best.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »

I pop massive bonars for anySaGa.

Erm, also, Legend of Mana is probably my favorite game ever (unless something really obscure that's so obscure even *I* can't remember it is, which is beyond possible) for various reasons. I didn't find any fault with the episodic storytelling (and it's not like Romancing SaGa or, uh, Oblivion, where none of the quests ever seem to relate, although some of them had bizarre trigger conditions so it could seem like that at times), and I could raise rabites and, uh, built felt hammers out of eyeballs.

I also <3'd Chrono Cross. Yeah, the story had pacing issues, but it was original and off kilter, and, er, didn't the game precede Donnie Darko by a year, even though it had similar themes? I also found it remarkably unpretentious. It could've been incredibly masturbatory, or it could've been incredibly syrupy, or whatever. It was miraculously light on the metababble, and remained rather human throughout. I also wasn't bothered by the character development. While some were completely ignored, most of those were that people like MUSHROOMBOY or ONION. Characters you'd never use anyway. Fargo's family was nicely fleshed out, and Glenn and Norris and Kid were all developed. I think in this sense the lack of overdevelopment was an asset -- the characters had enough development to make them, for the most part, seem like characters, but the story was kept on track by not getting too much into the heads of all of them. I still think making Serge mute was a dumb idea (Although, I maintain that Earthbound's the only non-freeform RPG where the silent protag was done for... well, a valid reason. Most of the time it seems rather arbitrary).

Anyway, you know, FFVIII, the original Persona (not really disliked or panned, but I like it more than the sequels), CIMA. Some usual stuff.

Also, Alien Logic. I don't recall it being disliked, but nobody seems to have cared about the poor thing very much :( And X-com: Apocalyspe (It's a strategy RPG, okay? :(). Screw you guys. I LIKE the retro-fifties style (and it makes sense. If stuff gets crappy, people get nostalgic for the 50s). That and it did a lot of cool stuff that I've yet to really see in a strategy game again. Namely the ability to arbitrarily declare war on, say, the local schools.

I also prefer Icewind Dale to pretty much every other Infinity Engine game and, uh, I also like Wasteland more than fallout :P

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Personally I found Chrono Cross a great sequel/new series installment. On the other hand, I really liked games like Parasite Eve and MediEvil, but I found both games' sequels mediocre at best.

I'm the reverse.  I rather disliked Chrono Chross and was disappointed in the first Parasite Eve, but absolutely loved the second Parasite Eve (probably because I'm a big survival horror fan).  And it's true: if Chrono Cross had absolutely nothing to do with Chrono Trigger, I would probably have enjoyed it more.  

Although actually, the thing that really bugged me about Chrono Cross isn't that it's so different from Chrono Trigger but rather the pacing.  In Chrono Trigger, you can get in and out of a battle in a few seconds.  In Chrono Cross, I started dreading each battle because it meant 10 seconds of load time and camera trying to show off time followed by the actual combat being pretty slow paced in and of itself.

Oh and for games that the reviewers hate, but I don't, Metal Saga is an obvious example.  It's been getting generally mediocre to bad review, but I think it's a fabulous game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »

Actually, I was referring to the story pacing. Outside of the mid point and as you reached the end, it was mostly random crap then whoa plot revelations. Battles didn't bug me much, though I think this and FFVIII combined made it unbearable for when I had to deal with it in FFIX.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »

Throw me into the boat for Chrono Cross, I loved it. My only real complaints about the game was the magic/tech system and the lack of direction. I generally had to keep looking at walkthroughs to find out where to go and what to do next. I really enjoyed the story though and since I didn't bother recruiting characters into the party I never had to worry about poor development or the lack thereof. I think I finished the game with sixteen of the forty something characters.

Maybe it's just because I kept looking at walkthroughs, but I never really found the story to be paced poorly. To each their own though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another reason I love Chrono Cross is because of the fantastic soundtrack. "Time's Scar" is probably my favorite song from any video game EVAR!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »

Legend of Mana (a fav)
SaGa Frontier II (my fav to this date)
Wild Arm 3 (another fav)
Baten Kaitos (and again)
Tales of Legendia (Legend of Legendia would have been a betetr title =P)

What canI say, I like shitty games. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 03:35:33 PM »

Oh yeah, I liked Baten Kaitos too.  I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: