Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 08:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332948 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Squeenix teases 13-3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Squeenix teases 13-3?  (Read 8168 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

Glenn and Magus are great characters.
The rest are rather one dimensional though and they have maybe one or two shining moments in the whole game.

As for this?
I haven't played FFXIII.
I haven't played FFXIII-2.
Guess what are the chances I'll play FFXIII-3?

Actually, would anyone start by playing the third game? I mean, I don't think anyone wants to start the trilogy for the last game when the first one is so terrible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:40:11 PM by Annubis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »

I've mentioned this before already, but you can play XIII-2 without even touching XIII if you choose to do so.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

You could easily start with game 3 in this trilogy simply because you do fuck all in the first two anyways.

Actually XIII-2 is fairly similar to CT at it's blueprint level. Jump the timeline, get a new macguffin/character related to the big bad, learn a tiny bit about the big bad, jump to a new timeline. Rinse and repeat until end game.

CT just does it better because there are actual 'time line changing events' besides a change in background coloration.

Also it doesn't end in 12,000 BC with Lavos showing up, frying Crono with his Jesus Beam, and posting "To Be Continued....". Plus the only thing keeping you from beating the game before the designated end is Lavos posting :frogout: with his "Destruction rains from the heavens..." attack among its other nasty attacks instead of "I have the Reraise! I have Reraised now!" schtick fueled by his invincible godmode powers and a literal Deus Ex Machina (which was the exact same problem the villain of FFXIII-1 had as well).

Also, Chrono Trigger barely ever took itself seriously and only really when dealing with Lavos and 12,000 BC (even 2300 AD had Johnny and the Sewers dungeon) whereas FFXIII-1 took itself so seriously it hurt and FFXIII-2 tried way too hard to not take itself seriously at all which, more often than not, led to most of the humorous scenes being more obnoxious than funny (and of course XIII-2 still had its painfully serious moments).

Plus the reason for why you don't just settle down at 1000AD after your initial adventure of rescuing Nadia and escaping from a bum trial and an impending execution is because you want to stop Lavos and you're the only ones who even know about it let alone do anything about it. Meanwhile your reason for going after Caius after your initial adventure of stopping a giant flan from chewing away at the Crystal Pillar so that nature and the elements can weather and erode the Crystal Pillar anyways was because Noel has a beef with him for some reason and because you think he's been fucking with the timeline but he really isn't because he's also immortal and is just goading you on into fucking with the timeline for him (all the while having a timeline fucking bomb strapped to his heart so even if you do stop him he'll just kill himself on your sword and detonate the timeline fucking bomb like a motherfucking jihadist). Also there might have been something about looking for somebody's sibling or something but damned if anybody can remember.

The resemblances are indeed rather superficial at most.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »

i give up...i just dont understand all the lightning hate.

and i dont understand your obvious obsession with her

do tell why do you like her so much
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »

put simply i like characters that go against typical gender roles. or at least the ones i grew up with. if she fought with a staff and -aga nukes i would have much less interest in her. along those lines i might of liked hope if he wasnt such a douchebag for most of the game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »

i might of liked hope if he wasnt such a douchebag for most of the game.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »

i might of liked hope if he wasnt such a douchebag for most of the game.

He was???  You sure you're not confusing him with Snow who got his own Paradox ending based around being a "douchebag"????

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

i'm only talking about the 1st game since ive only played the demo of XIII-2 thus far.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »

Guys. GUYS.

I have the perfect tagline for this. Check this shit out:

"Lightning DOES strike twice."

You're welcome, Square Enix.

put simply i like characters that go against typical gender roles. or at least the ones i grew up with. if she fought with a staff and -aga nukes i would have much less interest in her. along those lines i might of liked hope if he wasnt such a douchebag for most of the game.
She does not go against 'typical gender roles.' If anything she codifies them. She starts off as a insufferable bitch because she "had to do it to protect Serah" or some shit, but it was actually a worthless front to hide the weakness inside her. When she finds out that being an insufferable bitch is actually not productive in doing anything but being an insufferable bitch, she stops and basically becomes an ineffectual background character whose only purpose was to say what the party's goal was then spout out a nonsensical monologue at the very end of the game involving 'achieving the impossible.' She was not important or effective in any way, and her 'going against gender roles' only served to hurt and distance people she cared about.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »

Guys. GUYS.

She does not go against 'typical gender roles.' If anything she codifies them. She starts off as a insufferable bitch because she "had to do it to protect Serah" or some shit, but it was actually a worthless front to hide the weakness inside her. When she finds out that being an insufferable bitch is actually not productive in doing anything but being an insufferable bitch, she stops and basically becomes an ineffectual background character whose only purpose was to say what the party's goal was then spout out a nonsensical monologue at the very end of the game involving 'achieving the impossible.' She was not important or effective in any way, and her 'going against gender roles' only served to hurt and distance people she cared about.

Thank you for phrasing this more eloquently than I have thus far.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

Guys. GUYS.

^This.

The only thing I would like to add is that it's not just Lightning who's not important or effective in any way but also the player. It's amazing just how much the player is reflected in Lightning who's only role outside of shouting "WE'RE PETS!" and wanting to punch Snow in the face is to keep telling everybody to keep going forward; don't think about it, just go. And much like the player, she doesn't accomplish anything on her own; every major boss fight ends with the party being told to shut up and grind (even the final boss fight requires cutscene powers cranked to 11 to save the day); every major villain/antagonist walks off to eventually be offed by the plot (you never fight or confront Jihl, Cid dies but get's better later on so that some random mook can put a bullet in his head, that silver haired guy gets beaten but this just means he's befriended by you then promptly dies to a bunch of random encounters, and hell, I think the Sanctum guard did a better job of defeating Pulse scrub than you could after hours of grinding); and you're never allowed to even move from environment to environment (you just march from cutscene to cutscene until you hit the designated end stage cutscene which then shuttles you off to a different party or simply to a different area; kinda like how a basic platformer would do so between stages).

And once you realize this you too would be going on "WE'RE WATCHING A MOVIE!" rants and wanting to punch the director in the face for the $60 we blew on this self-conceited piece-of-crap.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »

what you really mean to say is that you want to have sex with lightning

because you are sexually attracted to her

i have seen your sig and avatar combinations and i know you are into that pervy stuff

it is okay you can admit it to me we all know what is going on

for example i have henry cavill as my avatar because he is hot as fuck and even though immortals sucked balls i would totes have sex with him
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »

Thank you Parn for having the balls to state my thoughts.
Kratoscar2008
Wayfarer of forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »

what you really mean to say is that you want to have sex with lightning

because you are sexually attracted to her

i have seen your sig and avatar combinations and i know you are into that pervy stuff

it is okay you can admit it to me we all know what is going on

for example i have henry cavill as my avatar because he is hot as fuck and even though immortals sucked balls i would totes have sex with him

There is a hentai game (I play hentai games, any problem?) where i really liked to play with Lightning, she really is a bitch after all.

The True Growlanser
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: