Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340972 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Legionwood - Tale Of The Two Swords *Complete and FREE*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Legionwood - Tale Of The Two Swords *Complete and FREE*  (Read 28588 times)
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:02:08 AM »

Game Overview
Legionwood is a console style RPG made using RPG Maker VX. Legionwood is my attempt at creating a nostalgic and familiar RPG experience reminiscent of the classics of the early 90's such as Breath Of Fire and Chrono Trigger.
Legionwood features a massive world filled with adventures and side quests with over 20 hours of gameplay and four huge story driven chapters.
While it isn't revolutionary and contains gameplay that is for the most part bog standard RPG fare, Legionwood is designed to be that way; familiar and fun for RPG fans looking for a casual game to play.

The world has been at peace since the Great War ended 1000 years ago. Now, an ancient antagonist is ready to set in motion a plan that has been in the making for centuries. Take control of Lann Northshire, an ordinary peasant who is unwillingly thrown into a conflict that will soon engulf the entire world. The fate of Legionwood hangs in the balance. Will you be able to restore peace to the land?

Game Features
- A character driven story full of twists, turns and red herrings, and an intended gameplay time of
around 20 hours.

- 6 playable characters, each one with a distinct personality, which you can mold into your own
custom character classes to suit your combat style.

- Turn based combat with an emphasis on tough opponents and using skills, rather than
mashing "attack" over and over. Think, don't button mash!

- A custom soundtrack, composed entirely of non comercial game music, some exclusive
to Legionwood.

- Collect, raise and summon 5 elemental spirits to aid you in battle! Summons level up, learn skills
and fight just like your party members!

- Innovative Ability Point system by KGC allows you to choose which bonuses you gain in level ups,
so you're free to decide which role your characters fill in your battle plan.

Screenshots

Download

You can download this game from the page here:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/792/

*If the game is unavailable when you try, it's because RMN is under maintenance; just try again in a few hours.

You can also check out the sequel which is in development: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=11080.0

Check for official updates and news here: http://legionwood.wordpress.com
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:21:06 AM by Dark Gaia » Logged

Want the latest news on Legionwood and my other projects?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

Dude. Freeware game. Just post a link and some pictures. No need to oversell it :)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »

With this much info, I expected the game to come with a case and manual. I'll look into the game, always a fan of playing Indie RPGs.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

One of the selling points I saw in there is original music.  Borrowed music is one aspect I'm not always fond of.  I might check this one out, but I already have my hands full with other RPGFan stuff.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37:13 AM »

Thanks for showing an interest. Oh, I just thought I'd confess something. I was lying about the entirely custom soundtrack. There's 2 (count em) borrowed tracks in the game.

OH, by the way, this game just became the Featured Project of RPG Revolution and was hailed as better than Eternal Eden.

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »

oh yeah, the opening track is from arc the lad: twilight of the spirits.

And I can't see any text at all in my game. At all.
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:58 PM »

Wow, is it really? I must confess, I really didn't know that was borrowed music. One of my beta testers submitted it.

You can't see any text as you haven't installed the font which came with the game. The folder which containe dthe installation also has a font.

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

Stuck at the Sheerbark Ruins crystal puzzle. I have no idea what it's asking of me. I've put the crystals on opposite sides of the statue, various other combinations.

I'm lost.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »

OH, by the way, this game just became the Featured Project of RPG Revolution and was hailed as better than Eternal Eden.

Funny to hear that Eternal Eden has become the new object of rivalry to some people. :P

Besides I'm the guy who have made Eternal Eden. As far as I'm concerned I'm not trying to be better than anyone else. I had fun making Eternal Eden. That's the only thing that matter to me.

Your project look nice, I will try it tonight.

It was created using the same engine as Eternal Eden, but personally I feel that this game far outclasses it.

A bit arrogant, but I'm glad to be mentioned in your synopsis. Be nice and insert a hyperlink :P lol joking

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:48:30 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »

Okay, I didn't mean to personally target you, but I am an egotisitcal person. Anyway, it is a dog eat dog industry, and I am entitled to my opinion. Sorry for any offense caused anyway.

To solve the crystal puzzle:

Push the crystals onto the tiles with arrows FACING the statue, making sure that the crystals or on opposite sides of the room than they began.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »

Okay, I didn't mean to personally target you, but I am an egotisitcal person. Anyway, it is a dog eat dog industry, and I am entitled to my opinion. Sorry for any offense caused anyway.

Don't worry about your opinion I wasn't taking it as an offence. You just valued your game and it's nice. I just thought it was funny :)

Besides  you shouldn't abide to this dog-eat-dog philosophy since you're doing a freeware :) And even in the industry it's easier to survive with an altruist attitude especially as an indie developer. A good example, Amanda from Amanranthia, Damian (the guy from Laxius Force) and me are helping each other and it's truly making a 'huge' difference. That's certainly what allow us to survive.
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »

To be honest Dark Gaia, even (and especially) from a marketing perspective, I strongly recommend toning the you-know-what down a bit, or at least change the style/make it less direct. Not particularly at this specific case, but just in general. It does more harm than good, and your dog'll soon become every other dogs' favourite meal with it. Your reputation in that regard already hasn't been exactly sparkling outside of RRR, in case you're not aware.

Nothing personal from me of course, but just a third-person sincere suggestion for you and your projects' own benefits. : ) Good luck with future projects.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »

Don't worry about your opinion I wasn't taking it as an offence. You just valued your game and it's nice. I just thought it was funny :)

Besides  you shouldn't abide to this dog-eat-dog philosophy since you're doing a freeware :) And even in the industry it's easier to survive with an altruist attitude especially as an indie developer. A good example, Amanda from Amanranthia, Damian (the guy from Laxius Force) and me are helping each other and it's truly making a 'huge' difference. That's certainly what allow us to survive.

That really is the difference if you want to enter the game market, teamwork and contacts! If I learned anything in my days of booking shows, everything is connected in their respected field, and anything you say and do makes it way around. Being tact never hurt anyone also...

Time to give that game a boot now, need to install that text... would explain the invisible dialog. (haha)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »

Dark Gaia, I tried your game and from what I saw it definitely deserved to be featured on RRR, it's certainly better than a lot of projects I've tried out there.

Sadly I was forced to quit your game, it was taking too much RAM (or something like that, after all your game is over 100MB and it's only at chapter 3...). You weren't savvy with media. When I pressed the directional arrow or progressed through story dialogues my keyboard wasn't responsive at all because the game was too much heavy for my PC. I guess a powerful machine is needed to play your game.

I switched to Eternal Eden to make sure my PC was okay, and EE runned normally.

Anyone can be tempted to use MP3s in an RPG Maker game, but itís the worst decision (at least if abused). RPG Maker is a nice tool but isnít evolved enough for this type of media sadly.

Except this detail your game seems really nice! Keep going :)

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »

After beating the first two chapters, I have some things to say. First, there are pieces of music that are definitely amazing -- the world map theme, and the sorrowful tragedy theme. Great stuff. The stat allocation system is nice and definitely not used enough in RPGs anymore. Helps to specialize and create classes all on your own.

However, the art is definitely NOT up to snuff with Eternal Eden, by far. In fact, it's several factors worse. In every way, practically. I like the sun glare in the Sheerbark Ruins. Nice touch. I also dislike random encounters, whereas EE almost entirely got rid of those and let you decide if you wanted to face any enemy you ran into. Also, those enemies never returned, which was very, very nice.

Also, EE has far better and far more interesting puzzles. EE is like Lufia II, and I guess Legionwood so far is like an old-school wRPG meets, say, Beyond the Beyond.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: