Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338689 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Legionwood - Tale Of The Two Swords *Complete and FREE*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Legionwood - Tale Of The Two Swords *Complete and FREE*  (Read 28279 times)
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »

Just for the sake of improving on the game, could you elaborate on the aspects of the art you didn't like?

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the game, but as I said earlier, I'm not intending this to be a direct competetitor to Eternal Eden, I am simply talking my opinion from a scripting/programming and presentation perspective, not the gameplay perspective. Of course the two are very different games gameplay wise, while the developer went for the Lufia style gameplay, I went for a a more straight and traditional early FF style gameplay.

@Reives: Yes I'm aware of my reputation outside of RRR. Despite this, nobody ever tells me to tone down my you know what, and all I ever get are compliments or insults about the game itself. Please take no offense to how I market my game, as that is how I am as a person. I'm aware that teamwork and contacts are what make it or break it in this field, but also, as I've said, it's a freeware game and for it to be able to grab someone's attention over say a commerical game such as Aveyond, it needs to sound grand and huge.

@blackthirteen: I'm sorry to hear of your problem... Actually, it's not the MP3's that cause the lag, it's the sheer number of custom scripts being processed in the game. Eternal Eden doesn't use very many custom scripts, many of it's features are the default RM ones, so that's why it is easier to run. Unfortunately, although it seems simple using 2D graphics, Legionwood's Ruby language is pretty hard to process efficiently, so a complex system of scripts will always lag for those with RAM under 1GB. I'm working on fixing this however, so stay tuned.

Want the latest news on Legionwood and my other projects?

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »

@Reives: Yes I'm aware of my reputation outside of RRR. Despite this, nobody ever tells me to tone down my you know what, and all I ever get are compliments or insults about the game itself. Please take no offense to how I market my game, as that is how I am as a person. I'm aware that teamwork and contacts are what make it or break it in this field, but also, as I've said, it's a freeware game and for it to be able to grab someone's attention over say a commerical game such as Aveyond, it needs to sound grand and huge.

If you think being a douche makes the game sound grand and huge then you have some serious misconceptions about the form and function of those words. The business might be dog eat dog, but you just sound like a bitch.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »

I didn't enjoy the character design. It felt very, very generic to me. Eternal Eden remedied this with characters like Fierro, Joelle, Dogan. The monster design is also awkward, since I'm used to gigantic monsters in random battles, especially if you're harkening back to old FF design. The monsters just seemed incredibly simplistic, and the scope of the bosses were very underwhelming. The only interesting parts of the artistic design were a couple dungeons and interesting graphical touches here and there.
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »

Saphire Fate, it's nice to hear what you didn't like, as now I can try and rememdy these design errors so that they can be better.

@Daggerstrike: Honestly I cannot see the point in flaming me any longer. The developer of Eternal Eden has let me know what he thinks and after all, I am entitled to an opinion. If I am biased toward my game and believe it's better than another, so what?

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »

Saphire Fate, it's nice to hear what you didn't like, as now I can try and rememdy these design errors so that they can be better.

@Daggerstrike: Honestly I cannot see the point in flaming me any longer. The developer of Eternal Eden has let me know what he thinks and after all, I am entitled to an opinion. If I am biased toward my game and believe it's better than another, so what?

I wasn't flaming. I was giving you feedback on your misuse of certain words, as well as your general demeanor. Besides, it has less to do with your opinion, and more in the way that you express that opinion.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 12:36:58 AM »

Ok.. I am formally, sincerely apologizing for any offense caused by my remarks. I have edited the remark about Eternal Eden out of my post and I will not refer to it again. I sincerely regret putting it there, even in an attempt to try and garner some attention for my freeware game that would not be looked at twice beside a huge comerical game such as EE. But, that's passed now, and I am truly sorry for unintentionally offending people.

Now I urge you to play my game and forget it ever happened. I don't want to let an argument stand in the way of people playing my game.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 02:51:12 AM »

Ok.. I am formally, sincerely apologizing for any offense caused by my remarks. I have edited the remark about Eternal Eden out of my post and I will not refer to it again. I sincerely regret putting it there, even in an attempt to try and garner some attention for my freeware game that would not be looked at twice beside a huge comerical game such as EE. But, that's passed now, and I am truly sorry for unintentionally offending people.

Now I urge you to play my game and forget it ever happened. I don't want to let an argument stand in the way of people playing my game.

Hi Dark Gaia, I personally wasn't offended that much, I just found it funny hehe. It's not needed to remove 'Eternal Eden' from your announcement, you can simply alter it to something like 'In the vein of Eternal Eden' or 'if you liked Eternal Eden you should definitely play Legionwood as it was made with the same engine.', etc.

Besides EE is not a huge commercial game, it's still living in the shadow even if it garnered some respect.

You're 16 years old, so don't worry it's normal that you may cause offence with some mistakes. I was arrogant too when I was younger (I'm 31 now), but I learned that staying humble bring better results long-term.

Don't worry about your game, keep working on it and more people will play it and share it with their friends if they love the experience.

From what I've played, Legionwood seemed to be really nice. Too bad it was ultra slow on my PC. So everyone should give it a try and hopefully give you some feedbacks.

(pardon my poor English)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:52:59 AM by blackthirteen » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 03:18:34 AM »

I tried playing the game on my laptop, because it looks like a fun little game, but there was quite a bit of lag. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated the system requirements, but it still took me by surprise. My laptop used to be a decent gaming machine and is pretty good as a PSone emulator (I use my own games, no worries), it only lacks a bit of RAM...

Perhaps I'll try your game on another PC later, because I'm curious what causes the lag.
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »

That would be all the script processing. I lovingly refer to Legionwood sometimes as "the most complex RPG Maker game of all time" and that would probably be accurate too. There are over 80 scripts working together in the background behind the audio and graphics, so that's where the lag comes from. Generally though, you should be fine if your RAM is 1GB or more, and even if it is less, you can reduce SOME lag by playing in Full Screen mode (pressing Alt + Enter) then pressign F1 and making sure the "Reduce Screen Flickering" box is unchecked.

Solas
Soul Seeker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

Looks like a good game Dark Gaia :D I'll have to try it out!

Did you try using an anti lag script? Might help... I know theres one around somewhere for VX but don't know where. Need to add it to my game too later

bored? make some horrible rpg names :F
my rpg making blog
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »

Quite an eccentric creator. I'll be trying this out sometime this week.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 05:24:41 AM »

That would be all the script processing. I lovingly refer to Legionwood sometimes as "the most complex RPG Maker game of all time" and that would probably be accurate too. There are over 80 scripts working together in the background behind the audio and graphics, so that's where the lag comes from. Generally though, you should be fine if your RAM is 1GB or more, and even if it is less, you can reduce SOME lag by playing in Full Screen mode (pressing Alt + Enter) then pressign F1 and making sure the "Reduce Screen Flickering" box is unchecked.

RAM isn't everything, and having tried other games made with VX, they are poorly optimized, and there's not  much you can do about it.
Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »

Yes, unfortunately outside of heaping on anti lag scripts, there isn't much VX can do to make it's games slower.

Gee, it's been a while since I posted in here...

Anyway, just leaving everyone an update on the game's progress.

Update:
Due to me working on the very eagerly awaited and impatiently demanded One Night 2 The Beyond, progress on this game was halted. However, since that game is now released, I'm going full speed ahead on Legionwood, and you can expect the next two chapters in a month or two!

In the mean time, check out this review Legionwood was given on RMN: http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/792/reviews/410/

Here are some random bits and bobs about the next version:

> There are minor graphical changes such as a new windowskin and icon set, and a new title screen.
> The difficulty and balance of a few battles have been altered to maintain the same difficulty throughout.
> You can expect to add Thyrra and Zanthus to your team.
> The game takes on a more non linear route with paths you can choose and more sidequests.
> The same intriguing story of Legionwood develops more.

Release Protocol:

Current release date: August 2009
Release Structure: 2 versions will be available, the full game including chapters 1 to 4 for new players, and a much smaller patch for existing players which will add chapters 3 and 4 to the previous two chapter game.

Dark Gaia
Guardian Dragon

Guardian Dragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:19 AM »

Hi everyone! I've decided to give you guys the latest news about what's happening with the next version of Legionwood.

The next version of Legionwood contains the all new third chapter called Death and Dealings, bringing the total gameplay time to somewhere around 8 hours. The first two chapters have also undergone some minor changes; the Upperthorne Sewer dungeon in Chapter One is now completable, and certain items and skills have been changed or re-balanced.

I've also completely overhauled the game's soundtrack; it is now comprised entirely of custom music and no game rips, 60% of it exclusive to Legionwood also. Some minor graphical changes have also taken place, and because of this, I have to unfortunately announce that save file compatibility with the last version has been removed. Many scripts have been changed which would prevent this. However, now with the script problems fixed, I can ensure save file compatibility for the next version to the next.

The expected release date for the new version is within the month of September (around the 20th) and the new release will come as a 60MB file, containing all three current chapters of the game.

Here, finally, are some features you can expect in the new chapter:

> You will add Thyrra and Zanthus, two new characters, to your team.
> You will discover the identity of the eponymous Castoth and the secret of the Sword of Gaia.
> You will discover the secrets of Ark's past.
> Over 2 hours of new areas, quests and dungeons await you, including some that deal with the far past of Legionwood's civilization.
> You will be able to use the new summoning system and take to the seas of Legionwood in your ship to find 2 summonable creatures.

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »

However, the art is definitely NOT up to snuff with Eternal Eden, by far. In fact, it's several factors worse. In every way, practically. I like the sun glare in the Sheerbark Ruins. Nice touch. I also dislike random encounters, whereas EE almost entirely got rid of those and let you decide if you wanted to face any enemy you ran into. Also, those enemies never returned, which was very, very nice.
I haven't played the game but I wanted to comment on this one issue.  Frankly, I happen to think that of all the indie RPG's I've played or looked at, Eternal Eden is far and away the best when it comes to art.  The only game that I can think of that has artwork of a similar quality are the recent Aveyond game (and unfortunately, it's only for the cover art).  I happen to think in that regard EE is simply in another league.  Most indie RPG's are going to fall short.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: