Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A slime draws near! Command? DQ VIII hits iOS today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A slime draws near! Command? DQ VIII hits iOS today  (Read 638 times)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »

Ninja Wednesdays, as per Touch Arcade.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/28/new-iphone-games-coming-tonight-16/

I for one am super excited. Never got to finish the game on PS2 despite making significant progress. Apparently the iOS version clocks in around 1.8gb so free up that space, and prepare to spend $20 or so.

Noticeable changes: No voice acting, (which makes me sad because Yangus' VA was amazing) and no orchestral soundtrack. I believe we get the original tracks from the Japanese version.

Even still, it's amazing to think that one of the greatest traditional RPGs of all time can now fit in your pocket or live on your iPad. Apparently the game doesn't work well with iPhone 4, so beware. Also, it is unstable after long periods of play on some older devices, so buyer beware.

I for one, will be buying this the second it hits.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »

Ahh another PS2 backlog of mine sees new life!

I missed a great deal of the PS2 era, as it was the only time in my life I wasn't really playing games.

This is another one I totally want to get to someday (after Shadow Hearts and Digital Devil Saga). Being a Toriyama fan coupled with how much this game was brought up by fans of Ni No Kuni got me all sorts of excited.

No phone version for me though. Original running on BC PS3 for me thanks. Though I am happy to see another title like this get new life/attention on any platform.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »

Ahh another PS2 backlog of mine sees new life!

I missed a great deal of the PS2 era, as it was the only time in my life I wasn't really playing games.

This is another one I totally want to get to someday (after Shadow Hearts and Digital Devil Saga). Being a Toriyama fan coupled with how much this game was brought up by fans of Ni No Kuni got me all sorts of excited.

No phone version for me though. Original running on BC PS3 for me thanks. Though I am happy to see another title like this get new life/attention on any platform.

I'd prefer to have it on the Vita, that would be amazing, but I'll take it on iOS. Hopefully it plays nice on my iPad.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »

So $20 for something I bought for $5 a few years ago brand new? And its slightly downgraded plus has touch controls? No thanks...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »

I heard this particular port has issues such as long loading times between encountering enemies and actually beginning a fight, and while I did enjoy the PS2 version, I think I'll pass.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »

Those load times in the video... geez. No thank you. And this is one of my all-time favorite games. I would so love a Vita/PSN release though.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »

downloading it onto my iPad mini at work...work wifi is so slow...ugh.

Will report initial impressions when I get a chance to give it a whirl!
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »

Here are my initial impressions:

Played this on my iPhone 5s, and my iPad Mini Retina.

I love that this has the cloud save and synchronize feature, makes playing the game on both devices a breeze. Sometimes you have to resync the save a couple of times but it works.

The thing that jumps out the most at me is that lack of voice acting. That being said, not having it makes it feel like all the other Dragon Quest games, but there was something special about the superb voice acting on the NA release for PS2. I really miss the Trode/Yangus voiced interactions, but what can you do.

The game runs pretty smoothly with just a hint of stuttering here and there, but otherwise it's fine. Haven't done an extended play session yet so I'm not sure if it degrades overtime just yet.

Playing this game one handed is just great on the iPhone. To me it feels pretty natural, and it may just be the best experience I've had to date on an iOS platform game for moving around in a world map. It certainly feels better than Final Fantasy Dimensions.

Playing it on the iPad Mini it was still good. You also have the option of shrinking down the virtual d-pad to a tiny little thing, but I prefer having the larger one for quicker access to the action button. Playing on the iPad Mini, I had to support the screen with my other hand, and it would have been nice to have a landscape mode, but if you are primarily playing on the iPhone, I think it's very well done.

The auto run function is also pretty good, and sliding your finger left or right pans the camera and changes the direction the hero runs. Also well done, and I see myself using this a lot.

Interacting with objects is as simple as touching  them, or pressing the action button. There is a pretty large field of action, so you don't have to micro navigate to be in the exact spot.

While I do miss the orchestrated music, especially on the over world theme, the original version is not without it's charms.

I'm pretty happy with the port overall. If they are able to optimize it a bit further so it isn't such a memory hog, I think it would be absolute gold.

The graphics are great, and are a nice upgrade from the PS2 version. I mean, I never noticed Munchie hanging out of the hero's pocket on the PS2 version. The details are sharp and the app store screen shots don't do it justice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:30:03 AM by ultra7k » Logged
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

Dragon Quest I hits the app store today, should be around $3 to $4 based on the New Zealand App store, so for anyone that hasn't had a chance to play one of the grand daddy's of RPGs, here's your chance.

Temper your expectations accordingly, this is a 28 year old game hahah.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »

Sorta amusing since I'm playing the PS2 version on the PS2 right now.  Because COR BLIMEY!  :O

Hoping that people are enjoying the iVersion.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

I've seen from some English screenshots on the web that the iOS DQ1 still has Ye Olde Butchered English, but I do hope the translation has been somewhat modernized.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:53:21 PM »

Having an absolute grand old time with the mobile version of DQ VIII. The fades away after a point in time. 40 hours in, looking for pirate treasure, and while I do miss the voice acting, I think it's good as it stands. I'll be picking up the port for DQ I-III for sure, and then IV-VI when the latter two get released as well. DQ on my mobile? Too good not to have.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: