Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 3  (Read 7855 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »

I'm a bit late, but oh man, I loathed Meryl.  I have no idea how the developers thought she would be considered cute.  I can't see her as anything but obnoxious, annoying, and stupid.
:(

And poor Merrril, her rivalmance is SO cute. lol *highfive* fellow Merril fan. Well, there are lot of Merril fans. I guess it depends on if your reaction to her is to protect her or smack her. I'd say both are valid. As for her personal quest:
Code:
you can avoid having to kill her clan.
That said, Isabela was the funniest character in the game. Isabela + Varric was hilarious.

Also, yay! more interest in the game. Definitely go watch the two part demo of the game which shows off how the combat is more tactical this time around.

Edit: Her names spelt MERRILL not Meryl. :P
*highfive*

I couldn't stand Isabella, either.

Really, I found most of the cast of DA2 to be bordering on annoying or relatively intolerable.  I think the single exception was Aveline, who I liked.

Fenris was saved only by having Gideon Emery as a voice actor.
Really? I loved the cast of DA2. I found Fenris annoying on my first playthrough because I chose to rival him, but he was much more tolerable when I friended him on my second playthough. I probably would hate Anders, but his rival path is really well written. Actually that is a good question, for all the characters did you rival them or friend them? That might have had some impact on your feelings for them. For me it was:
Bethany- Friend
Carver- Dead
Aveline- Friend
Varric- Friend
Merril- Rivalmance
Isabella- Rival
Fenris- Rival/Friend (preferred friend)
Anders- Rival
Sebastion- Friend/Rival (both were alright, going to import rival)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2014, 06:11:26 AM »

Remember how the developers of the shameful DA2 referred to Meryl as a "virginal girl next door"?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

Remember how the developers of the shameful DA2 referred to Meryl as a "virginal girl next door"?

trexrell
Kelt Warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »

I have been playing more and I have to say Meryl not so... bad lol. I mean that lightning is really saving my butt. Especially since I refuse to play at any lower difficulty than nightmare. I have to say though some design choices for the game are pretty silly. On some mission you can not go back for supplies and you are stuck fighting a boss or revanant with little health potions. The cool down on potions is ridiculous lol. I do enjoy the difficulty though. It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »

It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

I had to do the same. He was beating my ass lol.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »

It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

I had to do the same. He was beating my ass lol.

On nightmare, if you're playing a mage (and you should), you have to quaff a potion of damage reduction just before he hits 50% health and does his special cutscene grab attack with infinite range to survive.
After that, resume kiting him infinitely.
trexrell
Kelt Warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »

I do feel like that kind of made being a warrior kind of sucky in DA2. I'm a Tank and I practically do almost no damage. Than I use one of the mages and I feel like a god. Even Fenris (who is kinda cool you must admit) is not all that great. Even though I belt him to be the dps warrior.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »

I think we're seeing a lot of the overpowered mage archetype with Dragon Age and Divinity.  I love playing as a rogue, but the stealth mechanics are rarely worth it in this type of RPG and the damage output is usually focused on one character while a mage can crowd control and pull off massive damage on multiple targets. 

I always found I loved playing a thief or rogue in D&D until combat started.  I felt useless on the battlefield but loved sneaking into mansions and causing mischief.  Maybe that's why I love playing stealthy in games like Deus Ex and Dishonored, while the RPGs tend to focus on combat as the main source of gameplay.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: